CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Owner - Deleting Logs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Pacific Dogwood
Pacific Dogwood:  [?] . Rumoured to be Queen Elizabeth II's favourite flower, the Pacific Dogwood was designated British Columbia's floral emblem in 1956. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Owner - Deleting Logs
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache Owner - Deleting Logs
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Groundhog and Shadow

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Cache Owner - Deleting Logs Reply with quote

As a cache owner, was wondering when it is appropriate to delete a log? I recently emailed two cachers that claimed to have found one of my micro caches (a devious one) that they did not really find the cache, but the pencils that were hid nearby. This was mentioned in the description that this was not the cache, but the first cacher that didn't find the cache thought there was no logbook and put a piece of paper in with the two pencils, and this confused the next cacher who thought it was the cache and also signed the new log paper without looking further for the cache. Anyways, I guess that I had made it confusing by hiding pencils nearby in a plastic change purse, but I was only trying to be helpful as I didn't want cachers to do the steep terrain hike to the cache and find they couldn't sign the log if they didn't BYOP. Hopefully now the problem has been rectified with a note in with the pencils that THIS IS NOT THE CACHE. In the meantime though both the cachers I emailed haven't changed their logs to DNF. Should I delete their logs or just let it go?

Also, if one of my caches is muggled more than once, I often just move the cache anywhere from 1m-20m away and post the new coords. If the cache is hid differently (different camo or hiding technique) I don't have a problem with it being considered a new cache to find and actually encourage cachers to look for it again. However, if the container stays the same, the hide is the same, but I've just moved it further along eg. in the hedge, I really don't consider this a new hide, but maybe I'm wrong. Would it be inappropriate for me to ask the cacher to delete their log for their 2nd find? I guess I shouldn't sweat the "small stuff", but sometimes it irks me!
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Owner - Deleting Logs Reply with quote

I'd have a bit of a quandry myself on this one....
For the first finder I would say delete the log (with an accompanying email stating that that's what you are doing) as they did not read the instructions properly.
For the second finder I have a bit more sympathy as they got fooled by the first finder's extra log book, but you can't delete one with out deleting the other (neither one found the real cache). So delete the second one as well.

On the second topic, moving the the cache a few feet away does not constitute a new cache, and should not be counted as a new "find" by a cacher. And most cachers are aware of this;usually it's the newer cachers who don't realize this yet. Either way I wouldn't worry about it, just leave the entries as they are and as you say, "don't sweat it". I have a few logs like that on some of my hides as well, and I just leave them be. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter...I still have to feed the cat whether somebody has an extra find or not! Laughing

Technic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Owner - Deleting Logs Reply with quote

I think it should be up to the integrity of the so called finders who didn't find the real cache to remove the find from the logs until they go back and really find the advertised cache.
We had a similar situation where the cache owner placed a micro but also indicated there was a container nearby that held the FTF prize. In this case I believe it was Canadian Tire money. Well the first to find did not actually find the real cache, but found the container with the CDN Tire money which he took, and mentioned that there was no log sheet, so he placed one in there. I came along, and did not find the actual micro, but found the container that held the CDN tire money, and now had a log sheet to sign, which I did and then went home and happily logged it as a find.
I forget if the cache owner e-mailed both of us, or made a note in the on line cache log stating that we in fact had found the FTF prize container, and not the cache. So we removed our find from the cache logs and infact, the person who had the false FTF even replaced the money.
Is this a game about honesty and integrity or only about numbers?
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Owner - Deleting Logs Reply with quote

Sometimes if the cacher only has the waypoints in their GPSr they may not have a printout or electronic version of the cache page...I know that I myself will try to find the cache before I look at the page ... a traditional cache should be just that...no extra hides for pencils etc....I probably would have thought the same thing and thought that I had found it...if I lived in the area I would probably go back if it was fairly simple to get to but not if I was from out of the area or it was a 2 hour hike to get to it....I myself would let them know but leave it up to the cacher to make the decision....besides who hasn't claimed a find on a missing cache when they have found a parts of the cache or where it was or when the owner gives them permission to do so...Unless the log is rude or gives away too much information I wouldn't sweat it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1