CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Looking for a source of trails data in BC
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kettle Valley Railway
Kettle Valley Railway:  [?] . The Myra Canyon section of the Kettle Valley Railway was built between 1912 and 1914. It was part of a "Coast to Kootenay" railway line that linked Midway, in British Columbia's Boundary District, with the Canadian Pacific Railway main line at Hope. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Looking for a source of trails data in BC
toplefttopfilltopright
Looking for a source of trails data in BC
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moun10Bike

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Looking for a source of trails data in BC Reply with quote

Crossposted from the Groundspeak Canada Forum:

If any of you frequent the Northwest Forum, you may have seen that I have put together some custom maps (Garmin only at this time) of trails in the Northwest. The Northwest Trails project covers most of the Pacific Northwest as well as some adjacent inland areas, including BC. However, the data for BC is sadly lacking compared to other areas. Whereas I have been able to get a lot of GIS for trails in the US, I have had a hard time finding the same for BC.

Does anyone know of a good source of reliable GIS data or high-quality rectified trail maps for the province? My web searches have so far only turned up a scattering of isolated trails so far.

Thanks!
marcjboudreau

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source of trails data in BC Reply with quote

I'm not sure there are any sources for the kind of data you're talking about. I really wish there was.
There are a few sites that are user based that were trying to build up a database of gpx files of waypoints/routes.
This one - trail.brijn.nu/index.php - Didn't get very far along but the mapping part of it was pretty cool.
There is the ability here - www.clubtread.com/Routes/ - To upload gpx files, and download waypoints. No downloading of route files yet, but it's supposed to be coming soon. Club Tread is pretty active so I expect the database to get pretty large after awhile.
Need to be a paid member to access most of the info here - www.bivouac.com/ - Lots of waypoints available. Mostly used by climbers, but lots of details on road access to pretty much anything climable.
Haven't used this site much - www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat=def - If you join and share gpx data with them, you gain the ability to download from them.
None of this is quite what you're looking for and none of them are compatible with my gps like your project is, but there is some info availble to you out there. I'd love to see your project grow and I've been checking your website on and off since I first saw your post on the gc.com forum.
Hope some/any of this helps.
Moun10Bike

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source of trails data in BC Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! I will give those sites a check. I have an email out to an admin at TrailPeak.com to see if I can use their data. Wish me luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1