CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Nitehike
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rocky Mountaineer
Rocky Mountaineer:  [?] . The Rocky Mountaineer heading north along Howe Sound. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Nitehike
toplefttopfilltopright
Nitehike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittyclan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Nitehike Reply with quote

Anybody else doing the Nitehike this year? Looks like it will be a COLD one!! Also, anybody know which caches will be the easiest to try to grab while racing by with a herd of teenage females?? Laughing
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Nitehike???

Who, where, when?

Of course with this predicted weather - why??
hollyburn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Well it is white in Vancouver at the moment. I just looked at the trail map for the hike but can't quite tell. Bog Monster Treasure is right on a trail. It's in a garbage bag so a bit messy. Most of the caches aren't right on a trail. Too bad I'm been hoping to put one there but haven't got to it. Quigley's letterbox is near a trail too if you have time to follow the instructions. Have fun.
kittyclan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Nitehike is a Girl Guide and Scouts Canada event. Have to be registered members of one of those groups to do it. It is a race? with activity stations that are all done through the night. We hike from 6pm till 6am. It is scheduled on a certain day, and there is a lot of preperation involved and I think a few thousand participants. It would be difficult to reschedule because Mother nature decided to get a bit nasty. Very Happy

Thanks Hollyburn, I'll try to check them out. Did the Bog Monster used to be in a container? Maybe if it was I could replace it if we get there?
911turbos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Our venturer company is running a station (lock course - station U, I believe). Our venturers and scouts are also doing the nite hike as two separate groups.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

I took my scout group on the Nite Hike along time back at I believe the UBC Lands. It was a blast! There was a venture group that was watching a movie in the forest on a projection sceen run of a laptop and would man the station as well, forget what the station had us do. It is a scout/guides event but is open to any group, I would think any kids group of some kind with an adult leader would be welcome. Don't know about a group of adult geocachers... LOL
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

The Bog Monster's Home & Rotten Ole Stumpy(Easy Find)
are beside the reservoir or the food station (a good time to find caches).

My Letterbox cache(Easy Find but half to follow directions ) & The Bog Monsters Treasure (Easy Find: which is only 50m away from mine Confused ) are on the path between stations 9 & 10.

Sea View

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Oops pressed submit instead of preview.

I'd say The Bog Monster's Home would be a Hard Find (but it is close to station 12.

Sea View would be a medium find close to station 5 and along the path to 4.

or if you walk along the road between 4 & 5 you could find Acadia Beach.

Lastly California Roll and Blue Chevy Mad Science is right beside station 4 and I'd say its an easy find.

I'll be there (probably at station 25 [z?])

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

I'll see if we can find you to say HI if we make it!!
Thanks for the tips!
Marmi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Hi all,

A little word of warning about the nitehike and geocaching...

last year I was thinking of combining the nitehike and geocaching as a small event for cachers.

I approached the staff at the Pacific Spirit Park office and talked to one of the secretaries who was very interested. As we were talking a group came from a back room who had just finished a meeting. The secretary called a couple from the group over (who happened to be some of the park executives) to talk to me.

I got two sentences into describing combining the nitehike and geocaching when one of them went ballistic and started reading me the riot act about Pacific Spirit Park and geocaching. She was very upset and would not listen to my proposal.

I would advise that if you do cache during the nitehike don't tell any one. Just do it on the side when no one is around.

I think that at some point the Park executive will ask that all caches be removed. The less visible we are the longer the existing caches may be left alone.

What was my proposal?

To show cachers the park policies and how NOT to break the rules within the park with regards to geocaching. Also, how and where to hide a cache so that there would be no damage the the forest. And any other topics of interest to all concerned.

tas
911turbos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Just one other note, nite hike is not open to everyone:
All participants, including leaders, must be registered members of Scouts Canada, Girl Guides of Canada or Members of Boy Scouts of America with proper documentation. Individuals must carry PROOF of registration and a copy their registration/fitness form at all times.
kittyclan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Wow we made it again! But unless were were waiting in a line, we were in a HURRY. We did not even have one minute to spare to find one geocache!! ALmost had time for California roll (wish I had known one of the people running that station had already done it!!), but only had a few seconds in the bush before our girls were done at the station and had to race back before they left without me!! Bummer! Didn't even have time at the hot dogs, as it took a while for my delicious mocha to be ready, and then the girls were ready to go.
Saw you QJ about 3am? Called to you and waved, you were sitting down in the back part of your tent, but I think you were sleeping with your eyes open! Laughing
The girls really had fun with that lock course, they chose elite and after 20 minutes of waiting our turn, it took them just over 20 minutes to figure it out!!
Next year the girls were talking about running their own station. Maybe I'll have time to sneak away then and do some geocaching. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to see some of the park during the DAYTIME, maybe we'll make a day of it in the summer!
We finished all stations, and made it back at 6:54. ANd our cheer was loud and strong till the end! Very Happy
kittyclan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Nitehike Reply with quote

Oops, I mean 5:54! Think I need a nap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1