CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Does someone have an axe to grind here?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Finn Slough
Finn Slough:  [?] . First settled by Finnish settlers in the 1880s, Finn Slough is one of the most unique fishing villages in the lower mainland. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Does someone have an axe to grind here?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Does someone have an axe to grind here?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pharmadude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

I was somewhat taken aback by recent comments about Canada made one of our neighbours to the south. All the following quotes are taken from recent logs by a "top-ranked" Washington state geocacher.

(italics mine)

"What a clean, nice spot compared to our northerly explorations. Thanks for an easy straight forward find on a sunny afternoon, a nice end to our 3 days in Canada. TFTS"

"Found with my friends ... We all remarked at how clean it was after our trip caching in Canada. TFTS

"... took in the view and sunshine after the find-our last after three days caching in Canada It was really nice to be back to more clean surroundings. "

Really?!
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it. Many of us are guilty of making unflattering quips about our own families, our suburbs, our country. But we tend to become easily insulted when the comments are made from an outsider/outlander. I was going to make a joke at the area they could have been caching but I will bite my tongue. It's easy to insult. Not as easy to forgive.

This is probably a case where we can put pride aside and suck it up. Many of us have suffered what we believe to be the indignity of a bad post on our caches. No good can come out of letting it bother us or making a big deal out of it.
Pharmadude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

No worries for sure! And I can certainly say I've found my share of caches in unattractive surroundings on both sides of the border. But I just found those repeated observations totally baffling considering that 99% of the comments we've all heard over the years from American visitors to our country is how CLEAN it is here!
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

MrTJ, Bowser98 and myself were caching in Surrey on Sunday and we went to some of the caches that have been alluded to here.

Have a look at the pictures I took and you'll understand where the comments are coming from. I think what is irksome that instead of saying "some cache locations", the people involved made it sound like the entire city was as neat as a ghetto....

Click on the link to see the pictures....

www.flickr.com/photos/...030568312/

You can watch it as a slide show and when you see the first picture, mouse over the centre of the picture and click on the "i" to have the captions show.

(fixed link -- Scruffster)

_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

Most of the places you went were not a problem, in fact quite nice. All of us well know that no matter where you cache you will come across some less than desirable locations or trash. Area's can change quite quickly. All it takes is a bunch of kids to discover there new party area and what once was a nice quite clean spot can quickly become a trashpile. Funny thing is the kids don't like sitting in it either and move on to polute some other spot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Most of the places you went were not a problem, in fact quite nice. All of us well know that no matter where you cache you will come across some less than desirable locations or trash. Area's can change quite quickly. All it takes is a bunch of kids to discover there new party area and what once was a nice quite clean spot can quickly become a trashpile. Funny thing is the kids don't like sitting in it either and move on to polute some other spot.

CITO time is coming up (isn't it always?). If some of the trash you've displayed is in a park, could it be cleaned up this year? I don't think that all that garbage came from kids though, I could see some small stuff and the bike, but kids aren't usually trashing appliances and coffee tables Shocked . I think that was adults who should know better Evil or Very Mad .
hollyburn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

Yes CITO. There are many areas that need some. I try to take out a bit when caching but sometimes it's overwhelming. One of the worst areas is getting to the Beaver Trail cache www.geocaching.com/see...20dc7501e5
I have some photos but I don't think I posted them. I think this area might be too hard for a CITO but I plan on calling city hall to see if it can be cleaned by city workers.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Does someone have an axe to grind here? Reply with quote

I went to a cache that had a condom a foot from cache ...."make out area" but before I went to this cache , I read a few logs and at least two other cachers went there before me and made comments on the cache site and the condom but did not remove or CITO the spot ?????. I have kids and even if I was not a cacher my kids and other kids explore parks and people who leave gross stuff behind should be ashamed but the cachers that see this stuff and just leave it there for my kids to find should be just as ashamed Embarassed ohhh and yes I removed the odject.
Thats my axe to grind or 2cents
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1