CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» City of Surrey Geocaching policy
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Columbia Ice Fields
Columbia Ice Fields:  [?] . The entrance is in Alberta, but a good part of this is in B.C. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» City of Surrey Geocaching policy
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
City of Surrey Geocaching policy
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jangor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

The City of Surrey has asked Groundspeak to have ALL caches in Sunnyside Acres Urban Forest archived and removed. Mtn-man has archived a couple of them in the last few days.
The reasoning seems to be that caching encourages people to go off the trails in this "ecologically sensitive area". The ecologically sensitive area of the Urban Forest is, and has been closed to everyone since the park was created. That area is well posted and has been respected by the caching community. It seems hard to understand this request as large areas of the forest have been deforested by Surrey in an attempt to stop the spread of a disease that is killing all the trees. There is much more "damage" caused by dogs running free in there than by the few cachers that visit the area each year. Unfortunately, dog owners have a very loud voice out here and Surrey will never take them on.
We are wondering if this may just be the tip of the iceberg in Surrey??? Will Tynehead or Green Timbers be next? See GCPAQ4 or GCQ1G7 for more information.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

I haven't been to either of these caches but for VTMP No. 90 there have only been ~ 100 logs in 24 months. Seems like that shouldn't be a problem unless it is a posted environmentally sensitive area. Maybe someone can follow up with the folks at the City of Surrey to find out exactly what is going on.
911turbos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

That is interesting, because the VTMP was right beside a groomed trail. There was no need to leave it. Not sure where the Sudoku was, but I wonder how many mystery caches actually end in that park and how far off the trails they are.
IceDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

The battleship final is in there and it is off the trail, though only a couple meters. Since the Park only mentioned the one that is clearly marked on geocaching.com I wonder if they really understand about geocaching or decided against them without seeing what the caches impact really were.
Its a lovely park, I was glad that the caches took me there. It would be a shame to have it as a no cache zone.
jangor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

Just an interesting side note here. Drove by the "enviromentally sensitive" are of Sunnyside Acres today only to see a fairly extensive logging operation going on. They are taking some BIG trees out of there. Piles of big logs everywhere.

Told ya Surrey has funny ideas on enviromental issues.
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

Are you sure it is the City of Surrey that banned the caches? From what emails I've recently seen, it looks like a special interest group called the Sunnyside Acres Heritage Society is at the root of the ban.

If they were granted stewardship of the park, they are in every right to dictate what goes on. However, if they do not have stewardship, they have no right to ban geocaching. That decission would be up to the City of Surrey.

Does anyone know anything about the Sunnyside Acres Heritage Society? Do they have Stewardship over the park?
jangor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

They don't have any rights as far as I know. Mtn-man said that the request came from the Parks Dept. at the City of Surrey.
mtn-man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

It actually did not come from the Parks Dept. It did come from the Society.

I just happened to be looking in tonight and saw this and then got an email from one of your members. I have replied with the full email and some notes. As I told them, let me know if I can help. As scruffster said, there might be a way to nip this issue and gain permission from the real authorities, but be sure to coordinate your efforts (and this is a great place to do that).
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

The BCGA is on top of this now. I have asked for a meeting with the City to discuss this issue before it becomes bigger. I will keep everyone updated.

Catapult Jeff
Surrey Taxpayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

The Save our Sunnyside action group was formed in 1986 as a protest group when Surrey was trying to decide what to do with this 200 acre parcel. One proposal was a golf course. This group reorganized in 1989 as the Sunnyside Acres Heritage Society. The area in question has a substantial area which is dying due to a root disease in the fir trees. It would seem that this is probably one of the least sensitive areas of the entire park area due to this tree disease but the SAHS which organizes volunteers to remove invasive plants etc. may have a fair bit of political pull with the City. They have always been quite well organized and seem to be quite well funded.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

Good news. The BCGA and the Surrey Parks will be meeting to work on a geocaching policy. I will keep the membership updated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

There are far more geocachers around here than members of the Sunnyside Acres Heritage Society. But those that are vocal tend to get their way regardless of what their stance is on a subject.

Case in point, South Surrey/White Rock issue of revised flight paths. The planes used to fly over my house before they changed it slightly to go over the Semiahmoo Peninsula. I didn't realize I needed to tell the politicians to NOT change it back. Perhaps someone can come up with a route that doesn't fly over anyones house.

I can't wait to see the entire Sunnyside Urban forest logged to stop the spread of root rot. Once again we are not letting nature take its course. If a tree falls in the forest should we remove it? Aren't trees supposed to die and fall down thereby releasing their nutrients back into the soil. But no we have to log it and remove it so that its not a hazard to people.

I'll leave it to the politicians here to help get geocaching reinstated in the park. I just shake my head at the special interest groups that think they are doing right for the environment when they are really doing right for themselves.

Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

I met with a senior member of Surrey Parks and rec this evening. We had a good long talk about geocaching in the parks and in protected areas. There is a lot of common ground and a willingness to work together.

I would like to remind all geocachers to think about where you are placing a cache. Will the area around the cache be damaged by other cachers looking for the cache? If it will maybe that's not the best spot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Geocaching policy Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. The meeting went very well.

Geocaching is currently allowed in Surrey city parks. However, there are two areas that have been designated Urban Forests. Green Timbers and Sunnyside Acres have this distinctive status with conservation in mind. The general population has no access to major portions of these wilderness areas and where trails have been cut, activities are strictly restricted.

Due to their special status, Green Timbers and Sunnyside Acres have been declared off limits to geocaching until the Surrey Parks department comes up with a final geocaching policy.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that geocaching will be allowed, albeit with restrictions, in urban forests in the future. The Surrey Parks Department is interested in promoting the sport of geocaching at an Wilderness Interpretive Centre which will be located at a future park site beside Green Timbers.

The BCGA will be personally notifying people with geocaches in these areas. If you have a geocache within the boundaries of the map above, we ask that you respect the land owner's wishes. Please take your cache out of urban forests and archive the listing.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1