CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Hiding a cache in a park
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sockeye Salmon
Sockeye Salmon:  [?] . Over fifteen million sockeye salmon return to the Adams River by Chase once every four years. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Hiding a cache in a park
toplefttopfilltopright
Hiding a cache in a park
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

I just had a lengthy conversation with a local cacher who is about to hide their first cache and I would appreciate some feedback from the folks here.

The cacher is reading this page on geocaching.com:Hiding a Cache and are wondering specifically about this statement: Will it be on private or public land? - If you place it on private land, please ask permission before putting it there! If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules.

Their reaction was to go to the local park authority and ask permission to hide a cache in the chosen park. The park authority hadn't heard of geocaching and are now wondering if there are liability issues to be concerned about. The cacher has tried to alleviate their fears and has offered to do a presentation to their parks planning staff about geocaching. They are now talking at the management level with this parks department, but up until today weren't aware that the BCGA existed, that ParkFriendly existed or that people generally don't follow this guideline.

My response so far has to suggest the cacher join the BCGA, get involved in discussions here about people's interpretation of this guideline, ask questions here about their upcoming first hide and involve Chris (as a Director of the BCGA) in any presentations that are to be made to parks departments as this is within his role with the BCGA. OK so far? I also suggested that geocaching.com is a commercial US site and that these sorts of statements are there to prevent liability issues on their part.

The discussion between us and the cacher will be continuing as he now realizes that if this presentation he's planning goes awry, it could be the end of caching in this municipality's parks. This municipality is being faced with someone asking permission to hide a cache and they have to say yes or no. If they say yes, it opens a whole new activity for them to mandate (here's where ParkFriendly will help) and if they say no, then what happens to all the caches that are already spread throughout this municipality's parks?

We're going out of town this weekend, but will be following up next week.
Helen
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

I never much appreciated any of the "guidelines" (really they are rules, as the approvers will not publish anything against guidelines) of gc.com
I'm more for anarchie and just freakin' place caches anywheres! Wink

Geocaching is a public sport and as such all public spaces should by default be allowed.

In any case - wether private or public - if the cache is being removed by the "landlord" then that should be a good indication, that they do not want that thing there! (albeit, that someone like me would just reincarnate it anyways)

I guess in the worst case a cache-hider might face charges for littering...?!
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

I think you have the right approach Helen. If a city is worried about geocaching forwarding them to the BCGA would be a good idea. Governments find it easier to deal with a group than with a single person. The BCGA could then put together a presentation or workshop for the city if it was needed. We are lucky to have several well spoken people that are members of the BCGA.

Pleae keep us updated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

Generally I would not seek permission unless the Park has a specific policy requiring it. Private Property is clearly a different matter. Under almost all cases I would avoid placing on Private Property. Here are the exceptions:

1. A shopping center parking lot or other spot that is obviously and clearly open to the public. I would however question why you would want to bring someone to a boring spot like the local Walmart. That said, I have a cache at the edge of a shopping center parking lot, but on public road right of way. I choose the spot because it is because the unique container that would look very out of place in a park.

2. A special attraction. There is a good cache in Chilliwack called "Amaizing Cache" (or something close) that is outside a popular corn maze. They got permission to place it here as they definately should have. They also correctly noted on the cache page that they have permission and it is on Private Property so that other cachers know they are ok to be there.

The BCGA is the best people to deal with local parks departments. The gc.com site has the "seek permission from the land manager" rule to protect their butts and keep land managers happy. Also, if the hide is questionable, and you go seek approval, you are likely to be denied. Assume that all parks have implied permission as long as you follow general park rules. For example, stay on trails if there is a sign to that effect.

The key is to use COMMON SENSE. Don't hide caches where someone might have a problem with them. For example, someone is likely not going to like me, as a 30 something guy, wandering around a school yard. Under the Port Mann Bridge or at YVR airport would get the bomb squad excited. In front of a prision is not a good spot because people might get the wrong idea about your reson for being there. Think about what it looks like when you place and when others seek and replace, then act and hide appropriately.

Finally if you find a cache that is on Private Property, in a school yard, buried or otherwise obviously against the placing guidelines, use a "Needs Archived" aka SBA note. Also email the cache owner and mtn-man with your concern so that something can be done about the cache. Sometimes it can be moved to a better location, you might be wrong or missing info, or in fact it will be archived by the owner or mtn-man.

If in doubt, ask an experianced cacher or two first. Cache safe and cache on.
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

on a little bit of a philosophic note:

Re: Park Caches

If it is allowed to play any sorts of games (Frisbee, Boccia, Badminton,...)
then it should be fair and square enough to place a cache there as well
(after all it is nothing else then a piece of game equipment)
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

V-I-cacher wrote:
on a little bit of a philosophic note:

Re: Park Caches

If it is allowed to play any sorts of games (Frisbee, Boccia, Badminton,...)
then it should be fair and square enough to place a cache there as well
(after all it is nothing else then a piece of game equipment)

Yes, BUT do you leave your frisbee there when you leave the park, nicely tucked away for others to come and play with Wink ? Imagine if we all stored our nets, racquets, balls, frisbees, dog toys, etc in the bushes in the park for others to play with and then got mad when someone decided to take it home because they found it and thought it was now their 'found' treasure. Speaking of which, the Canine Landshark found a brand new dog toy in a bush beside a cache on the weekend and I let the canine bring it home... should we have left it there in case some doggie was planning on coming back to play with it tomorrow Laughing ?

Disclaimer: This post is intended for entertainment purposes only... any relation to plastic hidden in bushes is purely coincidental!
V-I-cacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiding a cache in a park Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:

... Imagine if we all stored our nets, racquets, balls, frisbees, dog toys, etc in the bushes in the park for others to play with and then got mad when someone decided to take it home because they found it and thought it was now their 'found' treasure.

such is the nature of our game, tho.
everybody playing *knows* he/she is running the risk of someone else (generally those known as "muggles") taking their "toys"

If I had many enough frisbees, I might indeed leave one in the Park,
so that I don't have to think of bringing one along next time...
...if until then, someone else either played with the frisbee or decided on taking it home/elsewheres, well then that's part of my decision on leaving it there in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1