CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» WAAS
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Haida Gwaii
Haida Gwaii:  [?] . The first nations name for the Queen Charlotte Islands and the homelands of the Haida people. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» WAAS
toplefttopfilltopright
WAAS
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: WAAS Reply with quote

I hardly ever get a WAAS fix with my Lowrance here in the LM or Interior. However on recent trip to New Zealand I managed to get a WAAS fix way more often. Here we are at 49-50 north, in NZ we were 36-37 south. Is this normal? Is closer to the equator better for WAAS?
QuigleyJones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

Yes, as the system uses satellites with a fixed position over the equator.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

I wish there was a way to turn off receiving WASS. Since last year that seems to be all I get and while I have little problem being taken to a cache, taking waypoints has become very time consuming and frustrating. What is usually a simple thing is a pain with WASS. Zero out at the spot and later or the next day the co-ords are wayyy off. Patiently fine tune them again and soon they are wayy off. Grrr.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

What brand/type of GPSr do you use? Both of my Garmin units have a setting on one of the setup pages to enable/disable WAAS.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

a now at least 3yr old SporTrac without any capability for turning off WASS. I get WASS satellites as a given these days. Taking co-ords has become such a pain.
But I'm in the market for a new gpsr...so far I haven't seen one that suits me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

I am confused. I thought WAAS was suppose to make your readings more accurate. Not less. I would think the issue would be if you did not have WAAS on. I do know that you can turn the WAAS off on the Explorist series of GPSrs.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

My understanding was that WASS were set up for American use and because of their location to us up North here the triangulation isn't as accurate as the usual satelites we receive. If I misunderstood then I'm sure the experts here will chime in and re-straighten me.
Finding a cache, well there are so many variables to the readings, but it is no problem to finding caches. No one expects, though it's nice when it does, to zero out at every cache site every time. You learn to get to the area and use your eyes. lol
But yes, taking co-ords, excellent co-ords, with WASS has proved to be more challenging. Never have I worked my gpsr so hard for such unreliable results. lol
But then again. my gpsr has had a workout...dropped it on cement more times than I can recall, dropped it in puddles, streams. etc. And this last year, fresh batteries die in abut 4 hours. Something hinky going on.
A new gpsr is in order and I deserve one. Very Happy At least I know what the heck I'm buying this time. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

Waas is suppose to be more accurate even in Canada than just the GPSr satelites alone. I confirmed this with a forester friend. Something up with your reciever maybe. Drift on a coodinate is natural and This is the reason the expensive units take 50 readings over a period of 5 minutes. The unit then averages these readings for a higher level of accuracy. I believe some of the higer end Garmins have this feature, not sure about the higher end Magellens. You could check on the GC forums.
stormcloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

Forgot to add that the WAAS works for BC because they have posistioned some of the WAAS sats. to work in Alaska.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS Reply with quote

oh. that's intesting and news to me. I was just looking for the file where I had satellite and WASS info and of course can't find it right now.

But I did find a bit that talked about how WASS was a real drain on the battery....so maybe that's part of why my batteries die so fast. lol
Doesn't matter...I plan, as said, to get a new gpsr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1