CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BC Alternate Educators' Conference
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kermode Bear
Kermode Bear:  [?] . In the far reaches of B.C. the Kermode bear is a genetically-unique subspecies of black bear found in the central coast. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» BC Alternate Educators' Conference
toplefttopfilltopright
BC Alternate Educators' Conference
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

In June, the BCGA was contacted by a member of the BC Alternate Educators Association, looking for someone to present a workshop at their annual conference in January. In short, come August, I volunteered to do so as it happens on a day on which I would also be on Pro-D. The presentation I have been asked to give is listed as being two sessions on January 26th (9:00am - 11:30am; 1:00pm - 3:30pm).

What I am looking to do is give a short PowerPoint presentation outlining some of the geocaching listing services, how to "mark" and select waypoints, and then we're out the door and into the streets looking for a couple of caches. A range of caches would be good, but with the limited amount of time and only one laptop available, more difficult puzzle caches with stereograms, online ciphers, etc. would be difficult to do.

I've bookmarked some caches within easy walking distance (BC Alt. Ed. Conference - Jan. 2007), but am putting it out there to see if they would be suitable (as I haven't visited them yet) and to inquire to see if anyone would be willing to place a couple of caches around the area of 1088 Burrard Street.

Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

Doc,
I've got a powerpoint show that I put together for the talk I gave last February to the BC Parks and Recreation training seminar. I can forward that to you if you'd like to have a look at it. It's set up with some nice pages already and you can add and edit to your heart's content. Might be easier than building another show from scratch.

If you'd like a copy of it, let me know.

H-C
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

COG - This is in a easy micro in a neat community park
Fountain of Gratitude - this one is easy with a view of English Bay
It's Chilly in Mole Hill - my favourite of this group. It's really near houses so may be hard with a large group but you could be studying the landscaping.
Sunset View - I think this has been moved since I found it. May want to get more details.
The Gambler's Bench - Can't comment on this one as I haven't found this one yet.
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

Half-Canadian wrote:
Doc,
I've got a powerpoint show that I put together for the talk I gave last February to the BC Parks and Recreation training seminar. I can forward that to you if you'd like to have a look at it....

If you'd like a copy of it, let me know.

H-C

Cool! I'm always open to seeing what others have put together. I've got one sort of put together from a different pro-d workshop Chillibusher and I presented at, but I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on those caches, hollyburn! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

COG - Easy micro in a nice urban park
Fountain of Gratitude - easy but busy and with a obstructed view of English Bay Razz but a nice view of the museum
It's Chilly in Mole Hill - Nice houses and community gardens, container might be a bit of trouble for newbies
Sunset View - Moved since I found it. Got a nice view of English Bay
The Gambler's Bench - Haven't found

Have you thought about the Webcam Cache or the only regular sized one in downtown (Yaletown Currency Exchange) ?
hollyburn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

How did the workshop go????
DocMagoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

Both workshops went very well. An hour-and-a-half can really fly-by quickly. I burned many links to pdf's, listing services, Geocacher-U, sample cache types, travel bugs, etc to a CD for each participant. I also included a pdf of the PowerPoint presentation so they could look at it at their leisure.

For each workshop, I had selected five caches (COG, It's Chilly in Mole Hill, Between Heaven and Hell, Fountain of Gratitude, and Sunset View). I figured that if we could successfully find three during each workshop, that would be good (and we did!).

Most left really pumped about the possibilities of using GPS for building teamwork, orienteering skills, etc. It looks like there might be a return trip next year, except with a timed orienteering team challenge of some type.

Both workshops appeared to be well received, but I'll have to see the evaluation forms and feedback. The other big bonus was a room at the Sheraton Wall Centre overnight (it was rather nice!).

Most of the educators there think "outside the box" concerning ways to present curriculum in a new way to keep their students engaged (they teach either at First Nations programs, adult basic ed, distance education, students who are not in the mainstream education program).

...and hey, there were even some there who were already geocachers. Many, many thanks to Half-Canadian for providing a source for many GPSrs for the participants! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: BC Alternate Educators' Conference Reply with quote

Hey Doc it reads like you had fun and they treated you well Wink And I know the participants had fun- how could they not eh? And you got some caching in besides the conference ones.
Thanks for donating your time for this. You just can't stop a teacher teaching! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1