CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Car vs handheld
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Car vs handheld
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Car vs handheld
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady_Jac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

Im a fairly new geocacher but already hooked. Im using a car gps which rarely seems to take me to the right spot, or maybe its iust me! But without descriptive hints I can nver find them. Are handhelds more accurate? Thanks to anyone that can help. Smile
KnL_Caching

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

Hi!

I think the dual-use GPS units are fine - the units that have Paperless Geocaching and will offer turn by turn directions in your car.

The car only units are not great for Geocaching although they will work to some degree. Your smartphone or a dedicated Geocaching GPS will get you closer, likley offer some information on trails and terrain, plus give you access to the description, hints and previous logs for the cache.

That being said, the GPS system is only SO accurate, and all GPS units accuracy can be affected by tree cover, weather and other factors. You can get down to 1m accuracy, but 3m or even 6m is fairly common. "Searching for a nano in the forest" is a term of frustration when the GPS unit is offering 6m of accuracy in a densely treed area while looking for an itsy-bitsy cache container.

I am sure a car only unit would get you close to the cache - but I think you can count on the dual-use, dedicated unit or smart phone to get you a little closer, all considered.
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

I managed to find my first 400 caches with a car GPS. Be sure to set it to "off road" and pedestrian modes otherwise it will deposit you at the side of the street closest to the cache. You won't have detailed maps, which help, and you must keep switching back and forth between proximity and distance screens. It was a good compromise until I could come up with a good excuse to purchase a handheld. It required a lot of paper and/or good memory about the hints - a notebook helped.

When I was in Europe I purchased maps for the car GPS and used it in conjunction with the handheld to find my away around the quirky little town I was in.
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

I look at a car GPS as a navigation system when driving and a hand held GPS for navigating back roads/trail systems and for Geocaching.

On my car GPS I stick with the preloaded maps (and updates) and obviously use the routing and turn by turn feature. Most preloaded maps don't have details of back roads and trails.

On my handheld (Garmin) I use Open Street Maps and don't bother with routing when exploring back roads and trails - rather I use the maps to get an overview of where I am going and use the "bread crumbs" to see where I have been. For Geocaching I mainly use the compass & maps to navigate to the cache.
ValHamilton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

I load my Pocket Query into GSAK and then send it to my car Nuvi and handheld. If I'm in the U.S. or going to an area out of cell range, I'll also put it into my iPhone.

I use the Nuvi for safe driving as it has a nice big screen and a voice giving instructions. The handheld Garmin is the best when walking to the cache and the iPhone is for logging the find.

Geo Bucket is on my iPad. You can load all the caches in an area or your Pocket Query. You can read the information on a cache and see everything on the map while offline. A blue dot even show where you are.

Lots of toys and they all have their role in this great game.
Lady_Jac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car vs handheld Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies and much needed good advice. I think Ill stick to my current gps just while I improve my searching skills. Ive just discovered 'cgeo' for my little tablet, looks great so far, and will hopefully give me a much needed boost.

'Searching for a nano in a forest' I like that and definitely something I can relate too!

Thanks again everyone! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1