CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Water Tower Building at SFU
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
S.S. Sicamous
S.S. Sicamous:  [?] . The S.S. Sicamous, the largest remaining steel-hulled sternwheeler in Canada, is located on the southern shores of Lake Okanagan in Penticton. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Water Tower Building at SFU
toplefttopfilltopright
Water Tower Building at SFU
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

High on Burnaby Mountain is SFU and a giant tower you can see from various vantage points from Vancouver to Coquitlam. There is a cache there: coord.info/GC4AK9P. Now, a little ways away from the cache is a building adjacent to the tower with large NO TRESPASSING/AUTHORIZED ENTRY ONLY signs. There is no security system or locks around the building. The signs are the only hint something "special" goes on there.

So my questions is... what is that building for, and what is so special that you'd need authorized entry to walk near to the building? Does anyone know?
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Could be one of Burnaby's pump stations. I know they have one near the tower, and another hidden off of Gaglardi. I can check tomorrow if you want to know for sure.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Why do you think the no trespassing signs are there goaliegirl38? It seemed like a regular office building to me?
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Probably just to keep people from snooping around, if it's what I think it is, there is monitoring equipment inside. Trying to think if the other stations that I've been into have the same signs. It's been a while. But a couple quick texts in the morning we will have an answer!
Rocky Banks

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Another restricted place involving water. Hmmmmmm (See UFO GeoCrash 2 and Alien Autopsy cache pages). The Truth Is Out There Smile
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot about this, but did get an answer...sort of... It is not a pump station as I thought, it actually has nothing to do with the water tower. It was some sort of research building, not sure if it still is, or what it is used for now. If it was a city building I'd be able to get more details. Detective The mystery continues Detective
MrGigabyte

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Google is your friend.

wikimapia.org/13813473...ILDING-BCH
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

MrGigabyte wrote:
Google is your friend.

wikimapia.org/13813473...ILDING-BCH

I saw that, but it still doesn't answer my question. Why must people steer clear of that building and yet not the others on campus?
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

I'm planning a little visit up the hill in the near future (I'm keeping the date indefinite so as not to alert campus security!) to work out the final for a multi so I will try to wander past the building for a look-see. I might try to snap a few photos with the infra-sonic camera attachment I just got for my PlayBook. It's guaranteed to take photos through glass! Magnify
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

I finally got up to SFU yesterday, and I have to say that's one weird building! All the photos I took are either a complete blur or have some kind of rounded, pink object blocking the shot.

I guess I arrived during a shift change because there were no security guards anywhere. When I went around the lower side, adjacent to the parking lot, I found a row of recycling bins. Allright! I found the paper recycling and grabbed a handful of shredded paper to carry off into the nearby woods.

After about 3 minutes of painstaking reconstruction here's what I came up with: Lorem ipsum dolor . I think most of you know I enjoy deciphering codes, but I have to admit this one has me buffaloed.

Here are some of my observations of the structure: I counted seven satellite dishes, six air conditioning units on the plaza level alone, and parking for about 75 cars.

The conclusion I have come to, based on my observations, is that this facility, the bulk of which is housed under the office structure, is doing covert research into the paranormal abilities of children. Why else would they build a playground so close? I suspect a "Secret Society" is behind it all. The truth is out there!
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Highlander 71 wrote:
After about 3 minutes of painstaking reconstruction here's what I came up with: Lorem ipsum dolor .
Ahh, it all becomes clear.
Clearly that building houses a government entity that tells everyone they do important work, but all they ever produce is a bunch of documents that look meaningful but really aren't. Who else but a government worker would put so much effort into doing nothing?
Very Happy
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

I don't see the need to insult government workers in this thread. Sure it was said in jest, but I know geocachers who are government workers, and that is not really a fair comment.

If anyone does know what that building is for and can contribute I am still DYING to know what is going on!
kuyvenhoven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

I do know that this building used to be the major microwave communication hub for BCHydro. It has slowly been decommissioned over many years, although I do believe a few of the dishes are still active.

Rogers Wireless also has a cell site on top of the building.

Ecom ( Lowermainland 911 system) also has antennas up there.

I believe that the water tower itself is used for potable water pressure and storage for the campus. There is some onfo on the internet about it being refurbished a couple years ago.
The-A-Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Water Tower Building at SFU Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:
I don't see the need to insult government workers in this thread. Sure it was said in jest, but I know geocachers who are government workers, and that is not really a fair comment.
I didn't consider it an insult because I myself am a federal government worker. It was meant completely in jest (although I personally know many such people), but I apologize for any unintended insulting of other government workers.

As for the building, has anyone tried knocking on the door and seeing if anyone answers? However, I guess if they told you what they were doing, they might have to kill you. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1