CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kermode Bear
Kermode Bear:  [?] . In the far reaches of B.C. the Kermode bear is a genetically-unique subspecies of black bear found in the central coast. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines
toplefttopfilltopright
Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines

Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

According to this rule, a cache cannot be placed on MY OWN property as it is within 500m of a cache I adopted that was placed in 2001 in Pacific Spirit Park. Pacific Spirit Park is on a peninsula and it will mean almost no caches at UBC or westside Vancouver Parks including the beach either. Indeed, most of my caches I own could not be placed today even the ones OUTSIDE Metro Vancouver Parks.

I have identified 6 other areas around Metro Vancouver Parks where this is a big deal due to geography. I think this will create more problems. I am yet to come up with the problem it actually solves.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Ah, there's the rub. Nobody can see the problem it solves because the fast-thinking reviewers solved the problem before it became a major nightmare for the geocachers of BC. Yea!!! Someone give them a cookie!!!

Seriously, we should be thanking the volunteers of BC rather than scorning them every time we're a bit inconvenienced. British Columbia is a huge province and there is still a lot of room for new caches. No need to cause an uproar over land that covers less than 1% of 1%.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Good luck to any geocacher that tries to cut off corners of Pacific Spirit Park to get to Spanish Banks beach.

Maybe all will be resolved if MV hands over some of their parks. www.vancouversun.com/n...story.html

Although totally frustrated by this thread I did learn something. Thanks scruffster for letting us know we can reserve space for caches as I previously thought that wasn't possible.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Reserve a space??? As far as I know nobody can hold a spot indefinitely. On the other hand, if someone is working on something special and in constant contact with the reviewers, extra time can be given if the CO shows that there is indeed a special reason for needing more time and can exhibit that progress is being made on the project.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying the criteria. I thought from your comment "I recently had to move a cache for my upcoming series in North Burnaby due to a proximity conflict along a newly adopted MVP greenway " that this was new and reviewers would hold a space for anyone. Sorry off topic.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
Reserve a space??? As far as I know nobody can hold a spot indefinitely. On the other hand, if someone is working on something special and in constant contact with the reviewers, extra time can be given if the CO shows that there is indeed a special reason for needing more time and can exhibit that progress is being made on the project.

That's exactly how I "reserved a space" when I placed my now-archived birdhouse cache near the Harbourside Pedestrian Overpass in North Vancouver. (GC2Q582)

About 8 weeks before the scheduled "Grand Opening" of the overpass that was under construction, I had already created my cache page and built my birdhouse. I worked with the reviewer on a bi-weekly basis, keeping them up to speed and tweaking the final location so I had enough clearance from the railway tracks. Too bad my birdhouse got clearcut in the recent Mackay Creek revitalization. That's the way the biscuit breaks!
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Off topic but - Oh no! That birdhouse was my poster child for responsible cache placement! Everything from the GS logo on the side to the rubber protection of the hanging wire so as not to harm the tree.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

I have confirmation of the policy intentions from Metro Vancouver Parks. I have forwarded all the information I have to the BCGA Executive for contacting Groundspeak. I believe they are the ones who should advocate for geocachers and landowners in BC, not individuals.

I am certain we can find a solution to the problem the reviewer has anticipated in applying the Metro Vancouver Policy outside of its intentions without affecting dozens of other landowners throughout Metro Vancouver which ironically now includes me.

I hope common sense prevails.
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

Did anything ever happen with this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

yep - despite the interference.
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

What became of this?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks Guidelines Reply with quote

I was in contact with both the senior reviewer and Metro Vancouver Parks. They are both aware of the issues. There is (as always) more than one side to every story.

I was expecting a slight adjustment to the MV Parks guidelines regarding Earthcaches but have not seen this come through either (yet).

Sorry, Mr Kaswa, I thought I had replied to this last night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 2 of 2