CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» RIP King_of_Sweden
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Georgina Point Lighthouse
Georgina Point Lighthouse:  [?] . Now a heritage site, the Georgina Point Lighthouse on Mayne Island has been lighting the way through Active Pass since 1885. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» RIP King_of_Sweden
toplefttopfilltopright
RIP King_of_Sweden
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katcogo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: RIP King_of_Sweden Reply with quote

As geocachers we know each other in a certain way. We often know very little about the personal life of people whose names we see on caches we have enjoyed, in their logs, or who we meet at events along the way. We may not see each other or hear of each other for long periods of time without realizing there may be something amiss.

It was therefore very sad to learn of the passing of the King_of_Sweden, a cacher from Vancouver who recently passed after a 9 month battle with cancer. His last cache found was Feb 29, 2012. He was a very nice and kind man.

One of his found logs sums him up quite nicely and I share it HERE

Our deepest condolences to his caching mother Great Dane, caching sister BC Eagle, and to the rest of his family.
BC Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP King_of_Sweden Reply with quote

Thanks for your condolences katcogo. Actually Francis (I can finally reveal his identity, he wasn't really the King of Sweden) continued caching after his diagosis in February, although on a much reduced basis. He also, as usual, was many, many caches behind in logging - ones that will never be logged now. In the last couple of years Francis spent alot of time doing caches north of Vancouver and could claim that he had done every cache between Vancouver and Pemberton. He really loved the challenging mountain hikes. I know that he had great caching adventures with Snow and co, Gnome4 and some other Whistler and Squamish cachers that I never met. He kept a list of all the cachers he met on the trail as well. He also kept his caching bag packed and always brought it with him right to the end...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: RIP King_of_Sweden Reply with quote

My sister and I met KoS (and BC Eagle as well) on a trail in south Richmond a couple of years ago, and I could tell from our brief conversation this was a special person. I always looked forward to reading his logs whenever he found my caches, and he was always friendly and willing to offer a nudge if I needed his help.

In one of my logs I asked, a little tongue-in-cheek, whether the title of King of Sweden was hereditary or honourary. I now know it was well earned. RIP Sad
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP King_of_Sweden Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. Long before he moved here I was regaled by stories about him from BC Eagle and Great Dane. And finally got to meet him on the trails one fine day. Yes. A really fine person.
He was a great son and excellent brother..along with uncle, etc. I never heard anything but the finest about him.
He wrote great logs which showed his passion for caching.
We are all the better for knowing him.
Big hugs and sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: RIP King_of_Sweden Reply with quote

I just noticed a cache that KoS adopted is on the verge of being archived so I was thinking maybe we should keep it going in his honour. It's GC1DEZ5 Rhombic Romp. I have a small L&L container I'm willing to donate but I won't be able to place it until next week at the earliest.

If some kind soul is willing to take it to GZ, I will be attending the 12-12-12 event tomorrow before trundling off to work so I can bring the container with me.

If Great Dane or BC Eagle would prefer that the container not be replaced I will by all means respect their wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1