CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rocky Mountaineer
Rocky Mountaineer:  [?] . The Rocky Mountaineer heading north along Howe Sound. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches?
toplefttopfilltopright
Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches? Reply with quote

If so we might have an opportunity for you to be in a feature article. See below for details and contact information.

Hi there!

I'm working with the 2012 Earlybird RV Show at Tradex in Abbotsford, BC February 2-5, and I found your contact info online at BCGeocaching.com. I'm curious if you happen to know someone who has participated in the BC Parks/BCGA 100th anniversary geocaching initiative by RV. We've been thinking about this as a possible feature angle since geocaching is the rage these days and I know most BC parks have RV grounds.

Thanks so much!

Abby Simpson
Media Relations Coordinator
Laura Ballance Media Group Inc. (LBMG)
602-134 Abbott Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 2K4
604-637-6645 ext. 4648 (office)
604-637-6648(direct)
604-762-2250 (cell)
Abby @ LBMG.ca
www.LBMG.CA
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches? Reply with quote

I made the "mistake" of caching while towing a 24 foot trailer to do some of the Gold Country caches a couple of years ago.

Marble Canyon wasn't too bad - going in the opposite direction from the cache placer wrote his description - so - I just had to do a U-turn on the highway when I missed the obvious pull over. No problem - sort of.

Where I really learned my lesson was at the Hat Creek cache. The gravel road that leaves the highway is really wide, well graded and did I mention wide? Slowly the road shrinks to 2 lanes, then to a lane and a half, until finally it is a one lane ranch road. About the time I drove past the cache location, I realized I was literally "up the creek".

The first spot to attempt to turn the 49 feet of truck and trailer around I found the ground slopes managed to get the hitch post jammed into the ground and was unable to continue forward far enough. The second place the ground was such that I got the rear jacks on the trailer grounded. Finally, about 6 or 7 km from the cache I found a spot that was fairly level, but had a bridge right there. In her infinite wisdom, my dear sweet wife, neglected to tell me that as I backed up and swung the trailer onto the bridge, the corner of the trailer, in the blind spot that she was out of the truck for the sole purpose of watching, missed the bridge railing by about an inch. Her comment being - " a miss is as good as a mile". Hmmmm.

At least I remembered to stop at the cache on the way back out.

So to answer the reason for this thread - I now find a nice safe RV park for the trailer and go back to the cache. This is what I did for the BC Parks 100 cache in Manning Park. Although - the 75 km back from Princeton was a little excessive in retrospect - even though I found one of the BC Parks coins in that cache.
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches? Reply with quote

We are very careful about what caches we find with our trailer which is a 30 foot long unit. Unless the cache has the trucker/rv attribute or a very detailed cache page we don't risk it. We did travel up north and used the nuvi to let us know when we were getting close to a cache so we could slow down safely and decide whether or not we could get off the road. RV caching can be pretty hit and miss, usually we try and camp somewhere where there are lots of caches and find them on foot. Caching makes rving and camping so much better though. We have been to some very cool spots while we are travelling because of well placed caches.
RayandLynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use an RV to find this year's BC Parks caches? Reply with quote

Ray and I go caching with the RV a lot. We stick to roads, well most of the time at least. We have gone bushwacking with it. We have gone back roading with it as well. Lots of fun, and I am always at home. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1