CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Abandoned cache available for adoption?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Vancouver Island Marmot
Vancouver Island Marmot:  [?] . On the brink of extinction, spotting a Vancouver Island Marmot would be a rare event for any geocacher. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Abandoned cache available for adoption?
toplefttopfilltopright
Abandoned cache available for adoption?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Abandoned cache available for adoption? Reply with quote

I'm aware of the procedure for adopting a cache, but what happens when the owner is no longer active or responding to emails?

I'm referring specifically to GC28H8R Stanley Park Totem Pole Cache. This cache was disabled by the CO on Aug 15, 2010 due to trackables going missing from it. The last time they logged in was the following day.

Many, many cachers continue to log their finds on a regular basis so it would be a shame for this one to end up archived, but I'm not really in a position right now to adopt it myself (I rely solely on transit to get around these days). If a cacher who lives near the park would be willing to take it over, I'm sure they would be very gratified by the traffic the cache gets. 411 finds since it was published in May of 2010, 35% of those since it was disabled!!! Just imagine how many more finds it might have had if it hadn't been disabled???

Any takers out there?
katcogo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Abandoned cache available for adoption? Reply with quote

I think the best you can do is ask the reviewer to have it re-enabled. Generally the only way a cache can be adopted is through the CO. The Team KFWB caches were a very unique case and required special permission from Groundspeak.

Beaver Surprise in Stanley Park is another cache in the same boat. It was disabled but people were still finding it so Mtn-Man (reviewer at that time) re-enabled it. I replaced the broken container and the log book some time ago and have it on my watch list for maintenance. That is about all I can do with it.

Mtn-Man said there are a number of caches where unofficial caretakers are keeping an eye on things.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Abandoned cache available for adoption? Reply with quote

We would be willing to adopt this cache once I wrestle vnm747 to the ground. Like that is going to happen anytime soon. Smack vnm747 and I(marmi) were the FTFers way back when. I will contact the reviewer.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Abandoned cache available for adoption? Reply with quote

[quote="Highlander 71"]I'm aware of the procedure for adopting a cache, but what happens when the owner is no longer active or responding to emails?

I've recently been through this very issue with my reviewer and groundspeak. Apparently its GS's policy to not adopt caches without contact from the CO or once it's archived, even with permission from the CO to adopt it. (I know him personally from work) He was unable to log into his profile, so he couldn't send me the adoption email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1