CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Ban
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Pacific Dogwood
Pacific Dogwood:  [?] . Rumoured to be Queen Elizabeth II's favourite flower, the Pacific Dogwood was designated British Columbia's floral emblem in 1956. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Ban
toplefttopfilltopright
Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Ban
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizardofooze

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Ban Reply with quote

On August 9, 2011, due to a complaint lodged by an individual to a district office of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI), Groundspeak (Geocaching's parent company) sent a notice to the BC geocache review team. This notice stated that

Quote::
...no roadside geocaches be published until further notice in BC. This means no caches by a highway, road, lane, pullout, intersection, traffic circle, median, highway rest stop, boulevard or any land or equipment that may be remotely considered owned or maintained by the Ministry of Transportation, without proof of permission from the BC MOTI or other agency who may have jurisdiction over the location of your cache.

After diligent efforts on the part of Groundspeak, the BCGA Executive, the BC Geocache Reviewer Team, and several individuals, we are pleased to announce that a significant update has been reached regarding those restrictions on geocache placements.

Effective immediately, Groundspeak's Fundamental Placement Guidelines are once again the baseline that the reviewers will be using to evaluate geocache submissions for publication in BC. Those Guidelines include, but are not limited to, these sections:

1. All local laws apply. This refers to both the placement of the geocache and the journey required to reach it. Geocachers must not be required to cross any land with "No Trespassing" or similar signs.
2. Obtain the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property. By submitting a geocache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. If you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate this on the cache page for the benefit of the reviewer and those seeking the cache.

In the case of public property, contact the agency or association that manages the land to obtain permission. Even if you are certain that geocaching is permitted on a particular public property, ensure that the management agency is aware of your intended placement and secure their permission before placing the cache.

If Groundspeak is contacted and informed that your cache has been placed inappropriately, your cache may be temporarily disabled or permanently archived.

In addition, one of the Local Laws which apply to BC (referred to in the Fundamental Placement Guidelines) is Section 62 of the Transportation Act, which prohibits:

Quote::
the use, occupation, construction and depositing of things on highway right of way, including structures. This prohibition is in place to deter the placement of materials or things on the right of way that might result in driver distraction, right of way degradation, unsafe right of way conditions, and unsafe use of the right of way by pedestrians.

If you have not recently refreshed yourself on the Geocache Placement Guidelines, this would be a good time to do so before planning your next geocache placement. These Guidelines are frequently updated, and include a major revision which took place earlier this year.

The one exception to the updated restrictions on geocache placements in BC is for the MOTI Quesnel District. At this time, the restrictions outlined in the first paragraph of this announcement remain in place for the Quesnel area. Negotiations will be continuing for this district and further announcements will be forthcoming as progress is made.

Thank you all for your patience as this situation was being resolved during the past weeks and months. Your continued patience will be appreciated as the reviewers catch up with a backlog of disabled caches which have been on hold during this time.

Wizard of Ooze and Scootch
for Groundspeak, Inc.

I'm your friendly local geocache reviewer for BC. If you have questions about placing a geocache, please read the guidelines first! If you still need help, feel free to email me wiz@wizardofooze.com with specific questions or check out my blog and website: www.wizardofooze.com
TeamPawz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Reply with quote

I was wondering of someone could clarify the definition of "highway right of way". Are rest stops included and how far from the actual highway does the right of way reach? Please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure of the correct answer.
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Announcement - Ministry of Transportation Roadside Cache Reply with quote

TeamPawz wrote:
I was wondering of someone could clarify the definition of "highway right of way". Are rest stops included and how far from the actual highway does the right of way reach? Please forgive my ignorance but I am not sure of the correct answer.

I have asked this question myself. My current request of the Minister through my MLA is still pending. I have said once I get that letter I will forward to Jenn at GS and to the BCGA as well as post it here.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1