CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» old disused caches showing up on searches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» old disused caches showing up on searches
toplefttopfilltopright
old disused caches showing up on searches
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

seems odd that ones like this, www.geocaching.com/see...415cf6adff

still show up in my searches, wonder if it is still there?
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Until it's archived, it will keep showing up.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

That's part of the fun - we've went and looked for some like this and almost all have found. Best suggestions - take the lunch, lots of water, entire cache information (so if the instructions say stand at XYZ and look 20 meters away) and a cache to place either near the location that you can list if the original is missing - or on the way back so their is one half way there.

There has been a recent FTF up Pitt lake that was a multi-cache by Peppy that sat there for oh about 3 or 4 years..

They lead to the best adventures and memories!!
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

It looks like a good hike to the cache and with a lot of us urbanites that rarely go out on the long hikes I can understand why this cache hasn't been found in a long time.

With so many easy caches to find nowadays, a lot of the harder ones close to the city get left. When that cache was placed I have no doubt that it was one of the few in the whole lower mainland.

I actually took a hike a few years ago and found a cache that was disabled and also found a geocache army soldier in it . I was overjoyed to let the cache owner know that their cache was actually there.

Thanks for bringing it to my attenion. I LOVE to find some old traditional caches.
Raygar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

There has been a recent FTF up Pitt lake that was a multi-cache by Peppy that sat there for oh about 3 or 4 years..

that one at the mouth of red slough? damn i need a boat
one like this though the terrain could be different and maybe burried or grown over/rusted away lol.
but it would be amazing to find it.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Oh yes - one last hint..

TAKE A METAL DECTECTOR if you can find one.. lol

and good gloves to move away the blackberry bushes..

They are amazing to find .. Especially when you find them after 3 1/2 years and they are in perfect shape (we did a multi-cache that started in Princeton but took too long for everyone else so people had given up. It took us to the most amazing place - yes a little far - but worth it!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Ah, yes, we are good friends with the cache owner so we've heard about that cache at the head of Pitt Lake. P-007 was amazed when the FTF was finally claimed... in FEBRUARY no less! LOL!

Pitfalls!

What is the '42-Do you Have Your Towel' that peppy refers to in his log? Is that a mainland cache?
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

@Mrs_Landsharkz

I believe they are referring to GC1KJ72 "42 - Do you have your Towel?" Unfortunately, it looks like it has been disabled due to the updated ALR policy that Groundspeak has adopted.
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

I am just going to bitterly add a comment to the finding of the cache Pitt Falls. A year or so ago I emailed the cache owner to see if that cache was still really there and no one had found it yet. He graciously responded to me and suggested it would involve a two day kayak trip. I really preferred a boat and chatted to my buddy Peppy about it. Next thing you know he "hoversniped" that cache right out from under me! Hmphhh!!! Good thing he and ilovevacation are best friends of mine! Shocked That's why I nickname him the Peppinator!
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

First - I'd like to say this is starting to "hicjack" the conversation - so if a moderator is able - please split this off or add it to the banned ALR conversation.

Let's just say that the cache - disabled, active or archieved can still be claimed all the same. We DO know that in some cases challenge caches are still allowed and this may be one of them - however with the recent changes, our own event & the up coming blitz - we really thought right now was not the time to try to talk to Mountain Man about the situation.. lol

(I believe he is actually human - although the amount of effort he puts in and the times I see caches approved would put him in the super human category)

It is in a "disabled" state to avoid having conflicts of someone saying they can claim it - as I wouldn't want to end up in a "sticky polictical" situation from a simple thing like that.. so we thought for the time being we would move the cache inside the house so technically it has been "disabled" - however if someone does happen to qualify in the interim we can easily put it back or transport it somewhere.

42 was meant as it was put - to encourage people to do things they might not do and build some memories - to encourage people to grab and try those caches that don't see much action or have sat unclaimed for a few years - as well as encourage folks to place some higher memory caches. Caching is about the road you take to the cache - and make a well rounded cacher involving people, tb, older caches, lots of caches and all those other things.

The cache that started this conversation has been on our list to do - and would likely count for the 42(I didn't check it's stats we're getting ready to leave for the weekend) (we are flexible with thesehowever there are so many awesome places to go and so little time. We have plans for other items that will require ALR's, Some being Challenge caches - some we see meeting the criteria without an issue, and some that will not require ALR's but take a few months to complete. Along with some community projects that I was hoping to post as ALR's to ensure that those involved on the non cacher side could support. So those will require to go back to the drawing board after May. We have a 'grander' plan so to speak that's in rough stages - all involving help people realize their dreams and do things they never thought they could- They'll all still happen and stay tuned as we likely may be asking each one of you what your idea of "meeting your caching goal is"..

As for Peppy & the Hovercraft - that must have been an unbelivable feeling - I just know that Val got rid of that voo doo doll too soon - she should have kept it a bit longer and put the curse on peppy.. Smile

Now back to the pre-appointed trip to 100 mile and back tomorrow
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Come on Kris! You know "some" of us are working on 42 anyway. If anyone can find a way to make it happen you can! Razz Good luck on the ride tomorrow...I know a couple easy caches you can pick off along the way!!! LOL!!!
peppy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Back on topic....one dnf by a cacher with a total of 6 finds doesn't really convince me that this cache is mia and should be archived...Just means that "someone" should go and get it before the High Maintenancinator does....
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Hmmm, I think there has been a gauntlet tossed here somewhere....Stay tuned...
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

As a moderator, I could try and split this topic up, but since the original question is basically answered, I will leave it as it is.

However, as a note to you people:
Folks get an email, by default, when ever someone posts to a topic they have posted to, or subscribed to after reading it. Do you think it is fair to have the original folks notified for your comments about finding this cache? (by now they either want to follow this "new" thread, or have unchecked the subscribe link)

Do you think that some folks might want to join this discussion, and can't find it under this thread header?

Every one can start a new thread here: Next time do so when you feel the urge to talk about something that is not directly related to the Original Post, Please.
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

seems like the cache I started this thread with is likely gone.
I know If I traveled that far i wouldnt leave empty handed unless I had to.
Sad because even though Im relatively new at this many many of my older finds have been archived.Id like to find a few older ones.leaves me wondering about cache longevity and the reasons for it.maybe I should start a new thread lol.
titelines

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

We have had this cache on our watch list for a long time.... the last one to make a DNF log back in 2003 has 6 finds.... I'm thinking it is still there. Maybe we should put a group together and make a day's adventure out of it? Coonskin Hat
Raygar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

ya that might be fun.Id probly be in.
Raygar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Im not sure if theres snow up at Dennet Lake but Im interested in checking it out, maybe soon.
Anyone interested?
The Stainless Steel Rat
Raygar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

Its still under a fair bit of snow Shifty
titelines

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

We would still like to go...looks like it would have to be August for us. If there is interest let's try to get a group together Smile
Raygar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: old disused caches showing up on searches Reply with quote

sounds good to me!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1