CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Free the Bench... almost freed!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sockeye Salmon
Sockeye Salmon:  [?] . Over fifteen million sockeye salmon return to the Adams River by Chase once every four years. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Free the Bench... almost freed!
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Free the Bench... almost freed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Free the Bench... almost freed! Reply with quote

GC1B45F - Peaceful activism can pay off!

Too bad the timing is that the cache had to be temporarily disabled.
The years of campaigning have paid off. But sadly it looks like the poor lamp gets no reprieve.
Will probably archive Free the Bench as it has served its purpose and have planned a new cache to celebrate justice restored!

www.bclocalnews.com/su...42003.html
Quote: " This summer, the bench became the subject of a series of “interbenchions,” where guerilla artists swept in undetected and dressed up the bench and surrounding area. The first time, the anonymous public art enthusiasts injected some comfort, adding throw pillows, blankets, and tables with flowers and books to the area.
Other displays followed, such as a Christmas in July display, complete with a tree, faux chimney and gifts, and a pale green Benchasauraus followed soon after (check www.interbenchion.blogspot.com).
But now the incarcerated two-sided bench is about to be sprung from its jail – due to its good behaviour – and will soon be relocated.
Before that happens, however, the slatted seating is getting one last makeover.
On Monday (Oct. 17), the public is invited to freshen up the bench with a splash of colour and creativity. The City of Surrey is providing paint and brushes from 2-5:30 p.m."
Thanks to everyone who cached it and cared....

The bench's blog: www.interbenchion.blogspot.com/
(the cache would have been listed on the blog but for it's forced 'disablement'. lol

June 17, 2011 article:
www.bclocalnews.com/su...36294.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Free the Bench... almost freed! Reply with quote

My goodness! I didn't realize how famous that bench was. I had been waiting for the cache to be reactivated so I could take a look for myself. Hope we can see pictures of the newly painted bench and it's new location. It is amazing what creative people can accomplish through persistence and humour.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Free the Bench... almost freed! Reply with quote

I made it to the Free the Bench event yesterday afternoon. The bench was almost completely painted over by then but I did find one last good spot and wrote 'Geo-caching Cared' on it for all of us.
When I figure out how to post a photo here I will do so. Probably go to Free the Bench cache page and upload some there.
There were reps from City Hall from Engineering and Heritage Planning as well as one of the Interbenchion blog people. Hot chocolate, lots of paint and pens and laughter. Now that it is commemorated, it will be shellacked and removed to its new home. They are 98% sure where. Planning a cache for it.
The Province newspaper was there taking photo's so something might be in it.
Nice to see the bench on its way to freedom... the lamp stays. And yet sorry to see this quaint bit of fun ending.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1