CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Censoring the forums?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sphinx Tunnel
Sphinx Tunnel:  [?] . Located on the outskirks of Greenwood, a rail underpass was unearthed during construction of a new highway creating a sphinx-like ruin along the Trans Canada Trail. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Censoring the forums?
toplefttopfilltopright
Censoring the forums?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Just throwing a question out there: does the membership support certain directors/moderators deleting and locking posts as they please, controlling the content on the forums by eliminating anything they don't like or agree with. I had a post, plus cuddlefish's response to said post deleted from the AGM 2011 Subject. This is highly uncool and should not be tolerated by the membership, in my opinion. And locking down all the posts (to be deleted altogether soon) regarding the MOTI fiasco is absolute nonsense. Unacceptable, in my opinion. What are other members thoughts on this issue?
grafinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I would also like to know why posts are being deleted from the forums.
As a member of the BCGA for the last 4 or so years I am announcing my displeasure with the way the current board of directors is policing the forums and deleting posts that do not fit their fancy.

You have no right to censor peoples opinions when they are presented in a manner that is not defamatory.

Under Section 2. (b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, everyone one has the fundamental freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication.

You are not a police force, you are a group of people elected by the members of the BCGA to represent them in this GAME we all love. Censorship is a disgusting and immoral practice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Here are the terms of use for the BCGA Forums.

www.bcgeocaching.com/i...pic&t=2200

I draw your attention to the following:
You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this website have the right to remove, edit, move or close any message at any time should they see fit.

If you do not agree to this preceeding section of the TOU, naturally, you should not post in these forums.
grafinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Considering many of the posts that have been deleted did not contain any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws, I do not agree with the deletions.

There is another organization that was infamous for censorship...Nazi Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I guess invoking Godwin's Law closes this thread.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

WOW....

I just looked back and several of my posts have been removed, these posts were not directed at anyone personally, they made legitimate points and offered my opinion on a very important subject.

What is taking place here with this censorship speaks volums about those who are censoring these posts, it also speaks volums about those who advocate this type of censorship.

Everyone must be allowed to voice an opinion, they must be allowed to disagree with what the Executive is doing or not doing without fear that their post will be removed, if these posts are not personal nor abusive this board has no right to censor or remove them.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not everyone who chooses to posts in our forums does so with to aim of promoting geocaching in our province. It is sad our TOU even need to have a clause like: "You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this website have the right to remove, edit, move or close any message at any time should they see fit."

However, when we have members who refer to the BCGA board in very unfortunate and inflammatory terms, you can clearly see the need. Comparing the BCGA to a regime that killed millions of people, including my whole family bar my grandmother and grandfather is a little over the top, don't you think?

This is nothing new to the current board. Indeed, we have been in touch with many of the former directors of the BCGA who had to do exactly the same. As long as there has been the BCGA, there have been people who have wanted to cause turmoil. It dates back to almost 10 years. As one previous director put it to me: different reasons and different players -- but the same story line.

I'd much prefer we be civil to each other, both as a BCGA member and a BCGA Exec. As a member, I do agree with policing the forums. As an Exec I see it is a necessity. And it makes me sad.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

So as long as you disagree with what is being said, then it is okay to delete or lock it?
grafinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I understand where the board is coming from, but I personally do not agree with censorship.
If the board feels they must censor posts, then i would prefer to see the posts remain and the portions that you deem unfit to be blacked out with the remainder left intact.

Completely deleting a post like it never existed at all is unacceptable.

And sometimes you need to go over the top in order to bring awareness to a grievous wrongdoing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

The board isn't censoring. They're moderating. There's a difference. The reason I suggested axing the posts (entire threads actually) is the simple reason that over time the posts were getting more personal and rather nasty.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility and when people can't behave they loose their freedoms. And this little mob isn't helping. Several people trying to corner Cuddlefish.

I have advise to you, Cuddlefish. Do what I had to do in 2008. Axe all their posts immediately so they will learn that nobody will ever see what they write. Do not answer. It's just a mob now. Let them go home, lick their wounds and learn how to behave.

Perhaps the BCGA should do what they were forced to do in 2004 and close down the forums all together. They can all go to the groundspeak forums. OK, Bye bye. **snarfle**

Wanna know where the button is to close down the forums? I remember where it is.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

The Occupy BCGA Forums Protest 2011. **snarfle**

Moderation good. Very very good.
grafinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I hear BBQ'd skunk tastes mighty fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Members shouldn't have a place to talk about current events. Better close down the forums...
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

All geocachers deserve to have a place to chat about current events. The BCGA forums have always welcomed constructive criticism and open debate. But for those who want to poke jabs at each other, bash and bully -- please go build your own sandbox.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

MaliBooBoo wrote:
Members shouldn't have a place to talk about current events. Better close down the forums...

There are several places you can go do that. In fact, I was just doing that elsewhere myself.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Censorship or the restriction of one’s freedom to express an opinion on a topic pertinent to the issue or concern will always draw strong responses. I have made several posts to these forums on a topic of concern to all of us in BC. I have perhaps expressed an opinion contrary to that of others, I have not browbeaten anyone for having an opposing opinion to mine. My object was to try to get the BCGA to accept the work that Phil had done and go forward, working with him in resolving the issue with the MOT.

I have read and re-read the information provided by the BCGA in these forums and I have “never” questioned the truth of what was being provided to the membership by way of those posts from the Executive. I determined from these very posts and other information I was provided that little or no progress was being made on the issue of concern. The facts are there for anyone to see.

The moderator has allowed another member to call me and others liar’s. This member suggests also that I and others are trying to create a train wreck and that we are part of a mob. I have not responded in kind to the member, nor will I. I am very much concerned at what content is allowed and what is being censored. If the membership wish to see an example of inflaming a situation, they need look no further than the many posts by the member who would call others liars.

My right to post to these forums, or to make suggestions to the Board should not be dictated or directed by someone who holds no position on the Board and deserves no more rights than I as a member.

Please do not pull the TOU out of the closet to stifle comment, or opposing views. Use it to remove offensive material and personal attacks, administer it equally and fairly to all who post to these forums.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

This thread was opened up to the members and so I am speaking as a member here. I too have had my posts deleted in the past and it puzzled me.

In addition, I too cherish our rights and responsibilities in this country as granted to us. They are precious and we should not take them for granted.

I am a school teacher by profession and I belong to a professional organisation for math teachers. The forum space we use is owned, operated and paid for by the union I belong to. As such, they are entitled to police that space. If I wanted to vent about my union, school Principal, students, classroom janitor, or the person who teaches down the hall, I can. But to use that space to do so would be foolish and inappropriate (and could get me fired!). If I was to then complain that I was being censored, it would be very silly. Those forums exist at the pleasure of those who created them in the first place. They were made with specific purpose in mind, and require an air of constructive collegiality. Posts outside those realms are damaging to the very existence of the forums.

In the recent days I have heard from members who have not wanted to publicly post because they perceive that there are a few bullies who will attack them for posting. And it is important to note, their notes to me were not necessarily agreeing with the BCGA or me personally, but merely giving their point of view fearful of people piling on and arguing with them in an nonconstructive fashion should they do that here.

It is for that reason that the BCGA should moderate the posts. Not to censor the comments, but to return this forum to a civil discourse that meets the need of the organisation who runs them. In addition, the purpose of the BCGA is to promote geocaching in BC and sadly by scaring off potential posters and members, the organisation is not achieving that aim.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

As a person who was the chief moderator of the BCGA forums for the better part of 30 months I think I may have some insights on this topic.

For starters, there is nothing the BCGA would like more is to have forums that don't have to be moderated. Moderating forums is a very time consuming task that eats into other duties.

For that reason, I was always a very strict moderator. It didn't matter if it was a friend or stranger that posted. It didn't matter if the post was two lines or twenty paragraphs. If there was a snarky comment embedded in the post, it was simply deleted. If there was an attack on another person or even innuendo against someone else on the forums, the entire post was axed. Why? Because the average BCGA director spends a lot of their time working on projects beneficial to the geocaching community and there really is no time to babysit people being bad on the forums.

I never thought for a minute that I should edit, redact, or spend additional time explaining my actions to a forum audience. The matter, in my opinion, was private and when I could, I'd email the poster personally. In most cases, the poster usually understood that the problem stemmed from how the content was posted. The content has never been an issue.

After a heated email debate with some people, I can't tell you how many times the last email from the moderated poster ended with "what did I say again?" Those are the people I nicknamed the pot stirrers. They didn't even know what they wrote. They were more concerned that they weren't seen.

It should be stated that it is not easy being a moderator. Nobody likes to axe a post. If a post is moderated it is not because the moderator is on a power trip and it is not because the moderator doesn't like you. Moderation is held in high scrutiny by other BCGA directors and the forum audience. Moderation is not done lightly.

Pot stirrers use that to their advantage.

One of the reasons I axed forum rules in the early years is due to the fact that pot stirrers LOVE rules. They study rules so they can skirt them without crossing the line while stirring the pot enough to get other people so frustrated they break the rules and get banned. And it is the pot stirrers that are first to email the BCGA to whistle blow on others. It turns into a cat and mouse game. Rules give the pot stirrers an upper hand.

I applaud the current BCGA executive for doing their best to accommodate the posters with locked forums. I would NEVER have gone through that much trouble. In fact, it scares me because their voice is still seen. Bad behaviour, in my opinion, should not be rewarded.

OK, people, lets all work to keep moderation at a minimum. And to do that the general public has to take ownership of their actions. If you giggle and get a charge of hitting the submit button knowing well that your post is inappropriate, think again.

My suggestion has always been before people hit send, think of the person they respect most in the world. It could be Mother Theresa, Ghandi, the Queen, or their grandmother. If they couldn't say what they typed to the person they most respect in the world, don't submit the post. Rewrite first.

Most people on the forums are pleasant. The posts are fine It's just the five percent of the most political BCGA members that hijack the forums and make it troublesome for everyone. So, moderation is needed.

If this post is axed, I wouldn't mind. In the scheme of things, I'm not that important. My comments aren't that important, and I'd question anyone's mentality who thinks their post is such.

I am surprised how long the moderators allowed the BCGA to be bashed over time. And as they allowed it, the posts became just a little worse. Give them an inch, they'll take it inch by inch until the forums are total anarchy. Then they play the "freedom of speech" card. Very typical of bullies and bashers. They never think they've done anything wrong.

The BCGA is ultimately responsible for all content on these forums and I will be happy to see the day people other than the political 5% can once again log here without fear of harassment.
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Quote::
If there was a snarky comment embedded in the post, it was simply deleted.

Wow go out for a night and look what has happened.

From what I have seen you have been the master at this with one of my posts on free speech being deleted after it asked a straight yes or no question to you.

The only bulling here is the BCGA and their removal of posts. If you don't agree with them then it is gone. So who is the bully here?

I truly think that a motion needs to be brought at the next AGM as to a new Terms of Usage Agreement that the members decide not the BCGA board, after-all it is the members boards not the BCGA Executive's boards.

Oh and by the way you also said:
As a person who was the chief moderator of the BCGA forums for the better part of 30 months I think I may have some insights on this topic.

Well with that analogy I could say I have run forums for 10+ years on cruising. (which I still do) and thus know exactly how forums work. I know when to remove and can say this in the 10 years I have maybe removed a dozen posts, why because mostly copyright infringement. The rest would likely be a spam post.
I do believe in free speech, why because my Father was in Four of the Major Campaigns of WWII. Have any of you talked to VET and listened to their story?
I also spent 17 years in the Airforce Reserve for Canada and have many friends that went to Bosnia as pilots looking for mass graves and locating them. I tell you talking to them now they sure have a different of idea of Freedom of Speech.

I firmly believe in Free Speech.

Phil
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

My post above already deals with the topic of bullies baiting other posters and then calling foul. It seems to be a common ploy with some forum posters.

The BCGA moderators have had the patience of a saint the last few weeks. Anyone with a hint of integrity would see that. But when the behavior on the forums degrade to such a low level it has to be quelled. Yes, I would not have allowed the bashing to go as far as it did. But we all have a different tolerance level for such things.

We can go in circles debating about free speech and how that free speech is presented. But when push comes to shove total free speech can be acquired by behaving responsibly. Insulting and attacking others is not free speech. Those who do not see the difference should not be posting in a family-oriented forum.

Ten years ago I would have argued that there is too much sensitivity training in Canada. Now I believe there is not enough.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Cuddlefish wrote:

I am a school teacher by profession and I belong to a professional organisation for math teachers. The forum space we use is owned, operated and paid for by the union I belong to. As such, they are entitled to police that space. If I wanted to vent about my union, school Principal, students, classroom janitor, or the person who teaches down the hall, I can. But to use that space to do so would be foolish and inappropriate (and could get me fired!). If I was to then complain that I was being censored, it would be very silly. Those forums exist at the pleasure of those who created them in the first place. They were made with specific purpose in mind, and require an air of constructive collegiality. Posts outside those realms are damaging to the very existence of the forums.

I belong to 3 other geocaching organizations besides the BCGA, each has a forum and I have posted to those forums from time to time. More than one of those organizations uses their forums as a tool to provide better product to the user, they allow reasonable debate and in some cases the debate becomes somewhat heated. Posts are not deleted unless they become personal, use foul language or attack another individual in some manner. There are of course other reasons for censorship there but they are minimal.

There is a need for censorship through moderation at times and it should be used, sadly what has been taking place in these forums exceeds any reasonable or needed moderation.

No single member should be allowed to dictate the censorship of the BCGA forums. There is a definate attempt to do this currently underway. The opinion of one member bears no more weight than any other and my opinion on the topic is no more or less important than any other.

It would seem the majority of posts to this thread concur with the notion of over moderation (censorship).
grafinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

My intention when responding to this thread was not one of bullying, as far as i am concerned, geocachers are a bunch of geek and nerds, and to me a bullying geek/nerd is an oxymoron.

I tend to stay out of the forums because of the heated debates that occur, and because I generally just don't care what other people say or do.

I do draw the line though when i feel that people are been censored or "moderated" as some of you prefer to call it. I will NEVER agree with meaningless censorship.

Harrassment, racism, sexism, violence, abusive or foul language are different than one expressing their opinion in a mature and educated manner.

I also would like this topic to be brought up at the next AGM. I feel we need a more specific set of forum" rules" when it comes to moderation.

I have been told there are software programs that can be used that automatically censor certain words from forums posts and if this is the case than maybe the BCGA should consider purchasing this software in order to free up board members moderation time so they can focus on more important tasks, such as designing the next BCGA geocoin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I agree that no person or small group of people should dictate the way in which the BCGA forums are conducted. These forums belong to all the geocachers in BC, not a select group. It is nice to see the BCGA listens to all members.

I find it absolutely ironic that the people who cause the most problems for moderators are the ones that want the fox to guard the hen house. **teehee** Perhaps this is not a bad idea. I do hope they step up to the plate come the next AGM because none of them have have had the pleasure to be on the BCGA executive.

There is another option. Why not reopen a sandbox - seperate from the BCGA, of course. I have no doubt they would be popular. There is no shortage of geocachers in British Columbia with attitude.

There are also BC forums on groundspeak? Why are they not popular? Is it because they moderate too much?

At one time the BCGA forums were busy, visited by people from around the world. Not because they were helpful, but because they were an international laughing stock. It was an embarrassment that eventually led to the closing of the BCGA forums. I guess many geocachers in BC weren't around to remember those days, don't remember those days or choose not to remember those days. It was quite the fiasco. Quite the show -- and no good came out of it.

In a perfect world, there should be no moderation. All people have to do is respect each other. There has been relatively little moderation this year. People forget to see that. It took quite a few nasty comments. Nasty comments from people who should know better. Give 'em an inch....

It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. **sigh** It's a texbook scenario. It's sad. Very very sad.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Hey scruff, how do you know the comments were nasty? They were deleted.
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

No one party can take the moral high road, as there have been several posts in several different forums that are offensive on multiple levels, both by members of the executive and members of the BCGA. In this thread alone I have seen several instances where individuals claim to have moderating experience and then go on to insult and degrade others opinions.

It is okay for individuals to have differing opinions, it is okay for individuals to express there own opinions. It is even okay to be critical of an organization provided it is done in a respectful manner.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

MaliBooBoo -- Moderators aren't on the scene 24/7 It takes time to moderate posts from time to time and sometimes the general public sees them.

Fonty Family -- Who's perfect? Definitely not me. **lol** This is why moderation is needed. As mentioned previously, I welcome my posts to be moderated. A few years ago I actually emailed the moderator to axe one of my posts. Too much Vodka that night and not enough reasoning. **snarfle**
grafinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Anyone know any good recipes for quail?
I want to try quail for my first time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Sorry grafinator. Your post is off topic and must be neutralized. **snarfle**

But I do hear that honey garlic quail goes well with BBQ Skunk.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Sorry grafinator. Your post is off topic and must be neutralized. **snarfle**

I hear honey garlic quail goes well with BBQ Skunk, however.
Fonty Family

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
MaliBooBoo -- Moderators aren't on the scene 24/7 It takes time to moderate posts from time to time and sometimes the general public sees them.

Fonty Family -- Who's perfect? Definitely not me. **lol** This is why moderation is needed. As mentioned previously, I welcome my posts to be moderated. A few years ago I actually emailed the moderator to axe one of my posts. Too much Vodka that night and not enough reasoning. **snarfle**

Nobody is claiming perfection, but perhaps alittle empathy is what is needed by both sides of the debate....when one at least considers the others opinion it is more likely to have a satisfactory resolution to both sides.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
My intention when responding to this thread was not one of bullying, as far as i am concerned, geocachers are a bunch of geek and nerds, and to me a bullying geek/nerd is an oxymoron.

I do draw the line though when i feel that people are been censored or "moderated" as some of you prefer to call it. I will NEVER agree with meaningless censorship.

Harrassment, racism, sexism, violence, abusive or foul language are different than one expressing their opinion in a mature and educated manner.

I also would like this topic to be brought up at the next AGM. I feel we need a more specific set of forum" rules" when it comes to moderation.

As a school teacher, I would have to disagree with your characterisation of bullying. You may be surprised at who the bullies are and how the bullying is done. The image of the bully as the tough guy who physically threatens those incapable of fighting back is outdated. Increasingly, girls are getting into bullying and the type of bullying is shifting away from physical threats. In addition, in an electronic age, people feel more able to try to intimidate others as they can remain largely anonymous behind a keyboard.

Secondly, there is a large difference of opinion amongst what is considered appropriate. Clearly, you believe it is appropriate to mention Nazi Germany in a written response to a Jewish person on the BCGA forum, whereas others would consider that hate speech. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms works two ways.

Never-the-less, the ultimate say in these forums belong to the moderators. You can have the chance to take over soon enough.
grafinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I am sorry if you found my comparison of censorship to Nazi Germany hurtful. I should have used Darth Vader as an example instead, that would have been more fitting and then you may have also seen that I was joking.

I like to think that the friends I have made through geocaching know that I am not a hurtful person and that all I am trying to do is ensure that people have a place where they can voice their opinions.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care what people choose to discuss on the forums, as long as they do so respectfully, and that unnecessary censorship or moderation is avoided.

This topic is now boring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Oh by the way, your religious views are irrelevant to me, religion is a farce.

Delete that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I was being sarcastic, I do not care if people know that I have problems with organized religion.

My religious views, like yours, are completely irrelevant with respect to geocaching and this website so leave religion out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Nice try cuddlefish, I saw your posting before you deleted it.

Classy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

I am an atheist and I have never practiced any religion. However, my family were all executed for nothing more than being Jewish by the Nazis. And had I been alive 60 years ago, I too would have been killed for the same reason.
grafinator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

This conversation is now off topic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

Well I have been contacted privately by many members in response to this thread. It is interesting that the initial post has been a call for members to respond but due to the tone of of this thread and others, they have been completely turned off posting in the forums because of the lack of civility.

The members have been consistent - they do not agree with censorship as an ideology but feel moderating forums is necessary due to a few aggressive posters. I think that may be the answer you are looking for Mali Boo Boo. Perhaps if this thread (and others) had have been moderated earlier, you may have had the responders you had requested post here. Ironic, but predictable.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

[quote="Philatsea"]

I truly think that a motion needs to be brought at the next AGM as to a new Terms of Usage Agreement that the members decide not the BCGA board, after-all it is the members boards not the BCGA Executive's boards.
[quote="grafinator"]

I definitely think this needs to be addressed at the AGM. On top of a change in the Terms of Use agreement, perhaps grafinator's idea of an automated moderator system would be a good idea. Perhaps directors should no longer be the ones who are fulfilling the moderator role (can't seem to stop themselves from deleting posts that they disagree with), but rather a volunteer position that exists at arms length, separate from the board. This should also have the positive effect of freeing up some director's valuable time for them to deal with more BCGA pressing issues, like communicating with government agencies and Groundspeak and the release of the annual geocoin in a timely fashion.

Just trying to come up with a solution to this problem... Anyone else have ideas on how to fix the current system?
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Censoring the forums? Reply with quote

MaliBooBoo wrote:
Just throwing a question out there: does the membership support certain directors/moderators deleting and locking posts as they please, controlling the content on the forums by eliminating anything they don't like or agree with. I had a post, plus cuddlefish's response to said post deleted from the AGM 2011 Subject. This is highly uncool and should not be tolerated by the membership, in my opinion. And locking down all the posts (to be deleted altogether soon) regarding the MOTI fiasco is absolute nonsense. Unacceptable, in my opinion. What are other members thoughts on this issue?

Yup. When things get out of hand like this, something needs to be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 2