CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The BC Souvenir...
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The BC Souvenir...
toplefttopfilltopright
The BC Souvenir...
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I was so excited to see it had been released. And then I saw it.

Happy to see we have one now - not so happy about the one they've put together for us.

What do you guys think?

scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I like the artwork very much. I have nothing bad to say about it. It took a symbol (Kermode Bear) and worked with light glimmering in the rainforest. I think it is very beautiful.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I took a look at Ontario and Quebec's Souvenirs too. I think they're spectacular. I'm not sure if it is intentional or not but the Canadian souvenirs I've seen are reminiscent of the beautiful Canadian Pacific Railroad posters from the early to mid 20th Century. Very well done. Actually, I think they're better as a whole than any of the other souvenir groups.
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I also like the style of the art work, but as a souvenir I do not really care for it. Change the leaves to towels and change up the wording and you have an ad for 'rainforest fresh' Snuggle brand laundry detergent Very Happy
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

That's the great thing about art!

Truth be told, I do like this one better than the US states ive seen so far... LOL
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

The US ones seem a little dull. Although I don't find spirit bears cute and cuddly (especially if I were to be trying to outrun one!) at least it is not a dull souvenir by any stretch.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Looks like a baby polar bear to me. And we don't have those in BC
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Like it better then the others I've seen.
The Canada one's are, in my opinion, much better then the rest.

As for the Kermode Bear/ Polar Bear thing:

Polar Bear

Kermode Bear

It may look similar to a polar bear, but the ears are a little too big and pointed for it to be one.
Maybe it should have been a Stellar Jay to avoid this confusion.

Or even skunk? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I thought I was getting a late christmas card
The Stainless Steel Rat
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
I took a look at Ontario and Quebec's Souvenirs too.....
Is there a place on geocaching.com where they are all listed? I can't find it if there is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I couldn't find a place to see all the available souvenirs listed. I just took a look a someone I knew travelled a lot and took a look at their souvenirs.
911turbos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

They are listed in the forums but they don't show pics:

Souvenirs
savant9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

All of the souvenirs can be found on the official blog of Geocaching.com

blog.geocaching.com/20...souvenirs/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Good thing Scruff mentioned the kemodo bear. I like it know, at first I thought it was a snuggle commercial. Thank goodness we are not Idaho!
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Some of the Souvenirs are very nice, but I have to agree that I'm glad we didn't get something like IDAHO's potato. Although it did make me chuckle.
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

I think our souvenir is fantastic!!! She did a great job of capturing the "essence" of our Province in a very artistic manner! It's my favourite one yet!!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

The nice thing about the Canadian Souvenirs is that we have artistic small souvenir icons too, but the American ones are plain state shapes.

A comment came up about that on the souvenir forums today by an American who said 'why are Canada's more appealing'?! I couldn't resist a friendly poke in fun ;)... I also sent a note to the cachers who started the thread to make sure they knew I was funning with them just in case Shifty .
Non-Generic Icon for Souvenirs

I think we're just waiting for our AB and NL's icons now... we should be able to add SK in the next few months.
Landsharkz' Souvenirs
Technic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

How do you earn these souvenirs? I noticed I got two of them, a BC one and an Alberta one. I looked around, but couldn't answer my question.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

From Groundspeak:
Some souvenirs are awarded for their geographical location, while others are awarded differently. For example, you might get a souvenir for attending a specific Mega-event.

You can read more here: Groundspeak Souvenirs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Technic wrote:
How do you earn these souvenirs? I noticed I got two of them, a BC one and an Alberta one. I looked around, but couldn't answer my question.
By logging a cache "found/attended" etc. that meets the souvenirs specific requirements.
i.e finding a cache in BC means you get the BC souvenir, finding a cache in Florida means you get the Florida souvenir. Finding a cache on 10-10-10 means you get the souvenir for that. and so on...

At the moment, there are only souvenirs for finding some "Special" caches, and geographical locations. There will be more released with time, and you will be awarded them as they are released.
There is a thread on the groudspeak forums that has a list of released souvenirs, but make sure you scroll down to the last posts because the first isn't always updated with all the released souvenirs. List of Released Souvenirs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

On a side souvenir note, did anyone else notice that Saskatchewan grew some mountains? Smack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Cypress Hills 1392m
Wood Mountain 1013m

Would those count?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
Cypress Hills 1392m
Wood Mountain 1013m

Would those count?

Saskatchewan River, as another geocacher noticed...

I just find it weird that the souvenir would look like that! Most of Saskatchewan is flat! It's the prairies!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
Cypress Hills 1392m
Wood Mountain 1013m

Would those count?

I suspect that those heights are above sea level and that the height of the hills in relation to the surrounding area would be much less than those elevations, approximately half as a rough guess.

That picture is of the North Saskatchewan river somewhere in Banff National Park, right?
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

Groundspeak has posted a note that the SASK souvenir will be re-designed.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The BC Souvenir... Reply with quote

There's a new design for Sask:
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1