CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Stanley Park Totems
Stanley Park Totems:  [?] . World famous Stanley Park. Explore the area and find some treasures. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY
toplefttopfilltopright
Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

Somewhere in Tynhead Park..
Today (April 16).
I searched on BCGA, and could not find a reference, certainly not highlighted or in calendar of events.

bit.ly/enkVnL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

It's not a BCGA only initiative. The BCGA is helping out Metro Vancouver Parks and it is listed on the Metro Vancouver Parks website. Registration is required so I don't believe it is a drop in event.

Here is the link: METRO VANCOUVER PARKS CALENDAR OF EVENTS

April 16 - Introduction to Geocaching

2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Apr 16, 2011
Tynehead Regional Park
Metro Vancouver
604-432-6359
Email
Website

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. GPS device will be provided. Ages 5+ Registration required; call 604-432-6359. Presented in partnership with the British Columbia Geocaching Association.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

Yeh, God forbid we advertise a Geocaching Event!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

This is one of a bunch of Geocaching courses put on by Metro Vancouver Parks that they asked BCGA to operate for them. Participants need to register (max 20), and BCGA leaders need to have a criminal record check and at least one leader needs to be certified for 1st Aid.

TESKELLY, Cuddlefish & I ran the course Saturday - there were a number of courses in the past year, and there are 2 more sessions coming up, one at Derby Reach May 14 (full) and Boundary Bay Jun 11 (almost full).

You may recall that the previous executive put out a call for volunteers to help operate these courses in the past but with limited response. It has been mostly the executive and a few others who have helped out in the past. Though MV Parks pays BCGA a fee to run these, the leaders are all volunteers.

So - it is not an geocaching "event" but it is a great way to lead a bunch of brand new potential cachers before they even start. We use the BCGA GPSrs as none of the participants to date even own one.

Thanks for asking!
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

Though the event was full, I would think a potential geocacher would look at a geocaching site first, to find a geocaching class. My only point was it would be nice to have these types of things show up in the calendar or as a news article.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

"You may recall that the previous executive put out a call for volunteers to help operate these courses in the past but with limited response. It has been mostly the executive and a few others who have helped out in the past."

I recall there were too many volunteers last year so those of us that wanted to help out did not get an opportunity.
savant9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

hollyburn wrote:

I recall there were too many volunteers last year so those of us that wanted to help out did not get an opportunity.

I recall the same. I offered to help out last year as well and was answered with "we already have it covered".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

I believe Metro Parks changed the "volunters" criteria after initially asking the BCGA if they'd volunteer. In order to volunteer for a Metro Park event you have to go through a criminal record check and one of the volunteers involved has to have a first aid certificate. I think there was something else. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if you weren't chosen my guess is the BCGA made sure that the executive had the record check and the first aid training so not to make external volunteers jump through hoops for one event. It may be a good idea that when people volunteer they have information on such things so the BCGA can use them in an emergency because I would guess the executive has to do it regardless if they are ill or have other matters at hand. Unfortunately, not just anyone can step in at the last minute.

Please remember that if the BCGA doesn't ask you to volunteer it is not personal. The background issues go beyond Metro Parks. When working with various government and park boards, there many things that happen behind the scenes which determine how the BCGA may proceed and often the BCGA is caught between a rock and a hard place and only have a week to work miricles. I don't know how often I've heard "Oh by the way the BCGA must have...."

At the best of times the only alternative is to get a core group involved. This is not elitist. It is just common sense to get people that you know will get the job done, are always available, and have the paperwork ready to do it. Too often volunteers are only tentative at best.

So, once again, it would be nice to see a volunteer list with credentials. That would help the BCGA enormously.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

I was asked after I volunteered because as a teacher, I already had a criminal records check and it was pretty simple to get me to help out.

For anyone else, they would have had to go get a criminal records check on their own and be reimbursed for the cost by Metro Parks. I guess for one two hour session, this seemed a little onerous.

However, not explaining this to potential volunteers was not a good idea as it has led to people not wanting to volunteer again as they believe they will be rebuffed again. That is such a shame.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

Some people were scrambling to get their Criminal Record checks while others that had volunteered and already had CRC for their jobs were left out of the loop.
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

Early on, the BCGA didn't ask volunteers for criminal record checks because the BCGA didn't know it needed them. So that information was not on file. Also, there were people who volunteered with statements like "Yes, I'll volunteer. Just give me adequate time and I'll be available for any project" while others said things like "I may be available and could do a job if I feel it is worthy of my time." Needless to say, the BCGA jumped on the people with energetic comments rather than the people who sounded that their commitment was tentative at best.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction to Geocaching -- TODAY Reply with quote

My original thread of just announcing an opportunity to newbies and bringing attention to similar events has gone way off topic. Moderator please lock this thread.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1