CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Butedale Cannery
Butedale Cannery:  [?] . Abandoned in the 1950s, folklore surrounds Butedale as its ghostly lights burned into the night for twenty-five years until the hydro generator was finally turned off in the late 1970s. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!!
toplefttopfilltopright
HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!!
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

Oh my!! What a hoot!!
I first heard of the Best of the Bad Mega when I attended a weekend of events in Medicine Hat last summer. I knew right then and there that I would be attending. I planned my holidays around two weeks of caching that would include the weekend of July 16, 2011. I booked my holidays in November last year. I would not be disappointed!
We actually started out on our trip on Sunday, July 10 via Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. We were supposed to arrive late afternoon in Three Hills but due to a side trip through Glacier National Park we finally arrived at 2230 (1030 pm). A fellow cacher met us and showed us where to pitch our tent and we set up ASAP. Grabbed some refreshments and headed for the fire pit where a few hardy cachers had gathered including our own magicman65.
Road weary I finally gave in and retired for the night to the sounds of happy cachers gearing up for a big day.
Awake early I took stock of the day and the preparations. The organizers and volunteers arrived early and the set up began. I wandered into the Mega Mall only to find magicman65 already hard at work setting up. All around me was the murmur of plans for the day as well as what was to come. We quickly finished setting up the BCGA Booth and a bunch of us headed down the street where more volunteers had started a pancake breakfast for us in the IGA parking lot. It did not take long for a fair amount of cachers to wander in as word spread where breakfast was. Of course the EXCELLENT info that was included in the registration package might have had a lot to do with it.
Speaking of the info, not only did it include a map, businesses around town, event schedule, it also included the coordinates of all the venues and places of interest. What planning!!
Back at the Mega Mall, we finally got a chance to pick up our registration package. The goodies were fantastic and included a cool geocoin. Finally, the_Pollywog & I sat down and waited for the first of the cachers to filter through. I have to tell you that the hour we spent in the BCGA Booth was very exciting. Providing info and meeting new cachers was fabulous. After we were relieved we took the opportunity to wander around the Mega Mall and see what was offered. Everything from Geogoodies, GPSr’s, Art, Museum info, Boomtown Trail info, and of course food!!!!. Oh yes booths for food as well as the volunteers manning the grills with hot dogs and hamburgers on the go all day long. Outside the Root Beer Garden was being utilized.
The Town of Three Hills put on an awesome parade that seemed to go on forever. Horses, tractors, old cars, RCMP in their Red Serge(hot?), and of course Signal and Jeremy Irish. I managed to wangle my picture with both of them of course.
The Prairie Bible College was wonderful. They opened their site and their doors to us. Everything from the Wi-Fi to the washrooms and showers, to the places to camp. The town of Three Hills managed to embrace this crazy bunch of geocachers. They must have been shaking their heads.
The organizers of the event managed to have a whole new set of geocaches set up for us and I know after caching today that a lot of log books already have to be replaced.
There was a CITO event, a Geocoin event, a show with magic, comedy and music, and the Happy Trails Breakfast today. And those are just what I attended. There is no way I could possibly explain the experience that was the Best of the Bad. I will be in Duncan for Westcan 2 on July 7, 2012 and I WILL see ALL of you there, for you cannot possibly miss what a Mega event like this has to offer.   full article.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

Sounds like it was quite the well planned event indeed.
phatbennyb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

what's westcan 2? (I've been out of the loop... lol)
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

phatbennyb wrote:
what's westcan 2? (I've been out of the loop... lol)
Next years Western Canada Mega event, in the Cowichan Valley.
Island Spirit 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

woohoo! that's almost my backyard! EXCITED ALREADY!
Magicman65

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HB-Vanislelady does Best of the BAd Mega!! Reply with quote

As one of the organizing comitee for the "Island spirit Mega" I can tell you it is gonna be an event NOT to be missed!!! Jester

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1