CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Editing your posts Yes or No
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Inukshuk - Whistler
Inukshuk - Whistler:  [?] . Maybe the best skiing in N. America, and lots of caches too! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Editing your posts Yes or No
toplefttopfilltopright
Editing your posts Yes or No
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bring back editing abilities for your posts?
yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
no
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

I response to another topic brought up. I thought I would pose the question to get a feel for what the membership has to say on the matter.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
I response to another topic brought up. I thought I would pose the question to get a feel for what the membership has to say on the matter.

Voted - thank you for starting the pole.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:

Voted - thank you for starting the pole.

oops - I could have fixed that if, well, you know... Wink
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

I voted no for one simple reason.

I was the member of the board who monitored the forums for a good part of two years and this is what happened.

Someone would write a scathing post and watch as one or two people responded with equally scathing posts. Then that first someone would alter his post to make it look like the latter posters were in the wrong.

It's a common ploy bashers use to get others banned.

As a person that has to draft and redraft and still finds grammar and spelling mistakes two days after posting I share your grief, DIOS. But one of the reasons the BCGA forums are civil right now is the fact that editing options were disabled.

Please think about what you have to do in your personal community to make it safe. It's not always the best solution but sometimes it is all we have.

Look into the history of the BCGA forums or ask anyone that was around in 2004 and you will know how bad it got.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
I voted no for one simple reason.

I was the member of the board who monitored the forums for a good part of two years and this is what happened.

Someone would write a scathing post and watch as one or two people responded with equally scathing posts. Then that first someone would alter his post to make it look like the latter posters were in the wrong.

It's a common ploy bashers use to get others banned.

As a person that has to draft and redraft and still finds grammar and spelling mistakes two days after posting I share your grief, DIOS. But one of the reasons the BCGA forums are civil right now is the fact that editing options were disabled.

Please think about what you have to do in your personal community to make it safe. It's not always the best solution but sometimes it is all we have.

Look into the history of the BCGA forums or ask anyone that was around in 2004 and you will know how bad it got.

Is there a way that the "mothership" can preserve all posts in original form, for occasions such as you describe (when proof of foul play is needed), while still giving us a 15-30 minute window to edit?
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

There may be new web formats that can keep original posts but I don't think this webpage has that capability.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

Will I get in trouble for bumping this and pushing the YES vote?
Magicman65

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:

You can only vote once, it will not let you vote more than once.

doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

Magicman65 wrote:
doingitoldschool wrote:

You can only vote once, it will not let you vote more than once.

O that I know, and perish the thought of electoral fraud on the BCGA polling system. I just wanted to put the thread at the top pf the list again. Looks like it worked Party Hat
Team K1W1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing your posts Yes or No Reply with quote

Interesting question - I help administer/mod a BC flyfishing forum that is very active (Teskelly is a member on it too). We allow people to edit their posts. Maybe fly fishers are a better behaved bunch than geocachers?

However because it's a popular site there are a 1/2 dozen admins who can remove posts/threads etc. so there is usually a set of eyes on the forum.

It's also interesting to note that given the number of admins we all have our own particular style of moderating. I tend to just delete a whole thread while the main mod will take the time to edit or remove posts within the thread.
I can tell you though being an admin is not an easy job and in the past we have been accused of playing favourites with some of the members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1