CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rogers Pass Cenotaph
Rogers Pass Cenotaph:  [?] . The Rogers Pass Cenotaph is dedicated to the completion of the Trans Canada Highway on September 3, 1962. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED
toplefttopfilltopright
Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

People do know that it is illegal to be in a Metro Vancouver Park when it is closed, right? You can be ticketed if caught. That is the best case.

I watched a lovely new series pop into my inbox at about 4:30 PM yesterday and wondered how many people would be lined up at the gate this morning to get them. Checked this morning and saw they would be about 12 hours too late for a FTF.

As we found out, the MVP Geocaching Policy was developed as there were a number of park operators who were vehemently opposed to MVP embracing Geocaching in the parks.

It is one thing to misjudge your time and be accidentally caught inside after the gate is closed, it is quite another to blatantly bypass a closed gate saying the park is closed just because the rules somehow don't apply to you.

Geocachers are not viewed as individuals, they are classed as a group and the irresponsibility of some tars the rest of us. There is a really simple way to keep Geocachers out of Metro Vancouver Parks when they are closed - that is to ban caching there altogether.

DON'T BE AN A** AND LET THAT HAPPEN!
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Breaking park rules is bad enough. Advertising it on the cache page is downright sinful. It's as good as a written confession.

Please remember that the BCGA has been working dilligently with various park boards for the past five years. In doing so, the BCGA has convinced Park Boards that geocaching is a family friendly activity. The result of these talks have allowed British Columbia to be one of the few places where geocaching is allowed in all parks.

In some cases, the park board's decision to allow geocaching was not unanimous and there are a few sour pusses in high places who are scouring forums and cache pages looking for any infractions as fodder to retract the geocaching policy.

Don't think for a minute that everything the BCGA has worked for is written in stone. If enough people break park rules geocaching can be banned in a heartbeat. It would suck to be the geocacher that makes that happen.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Could this be another reason why MVP is reviewing their policy???
katcogo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

At the Geo You Training Day last November the rep from Metro Vancouver Parks specifically mentioned this. She said that parks managers READ THE LOGS on caches in their parks. When they see a log bragging that the cache was found at 3AM they bring this up as "proof" that geocachers generally are an irresponsible group of people using and abusing their parks. In this sense we are no better than teenaged party goers.

This was echoed in my conversation with a Metro Vancouver Parks manager. She agreed that the vast majority of geocachers are careful when, where, and how they hide and seek caches. She said that her responsibility however is to protect the parks from the lowest common denominator of people who will abuse the privilege of geocaching on their land.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

katcogo wrote:
... parks managers READ THE LOGS on caches in their parks. When they see a log bragging that the cache was found at 3AM they bring this up as "proof" that geocachers generally are an irresponsible group of people using and abusing their parks. In this sense we are no better than teenaged party goers...

Then it is up to us as responsible cache owners to manage the logs that are posted to ensure no rules are shown to be broken. I would have absolutely no remorse in deleting someone's cherished FTF if they refused to cooperate by editing their log to remove any "proof" of such unacceptable behaviour.
katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Perhaps the CO could consider REMOVING any log that indicates the cacher was involved in an illegal activity in the search for the cache.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Ultimately, that's what I was getting at. Anyone that's dumb enough to break the rules AND write about it in their log shouldn't expect that log to remain on my cache page.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Highlander 71 wrote:

Then it is up to us as responsible cache owners to manage the logs that are posted to ensure no rules are shown to be broken.

Actually it's up to us as responsible cache owners to NOT break the rules to begin with. Your suggestion sounds like your condoning breaking the rules as long as you can't get caught. Thats the wrong approach.
Highlander 71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't make my point more clearly. I place each of my caches within the rules. If that statement is not true, I have yet to be informed of any infraction. I don't place caches to break any rules nor do I encourage or condone such behaviour.

But I also fully understand that I have no control over who seeks my caches and when or how they choose to search for them. As far as I know, there is only one way to ensure with complete certainty that no rules are broken, and that is to place no caches whatsoever.

Therefore, the best I can do is hope and expect people will be careful when and how they find and log my caches. If an egocentric blowhard boasts about a 3am FTF in his log, my conscience gives me 2 choices. I can delete the offending log, depriving the lout of his precious FTF, and he will be PO'd at me, but he will have learned absolutely nothing. Or I can communicate my concern in a polite email requesting that should he wish to keep his FTF he must edit please his log to remove any blatant admission of wrongdoing. If he ignores my request, then I nuke his freaking log!!!!

That's what I meant by managing log entries.
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro Vancouver Parks - Closed means CLOSED Reply with quote

I was referring to the finders not the hiders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1