CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Logging edict
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Logging edict
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Logging edict
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tycoon otto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Logging edict Reply with quote

I have been looking around for some info on proper logging edict but cant seem to find anything.
I know of a couple of cachers that log their own caches as found which doesn't really bother me either way.
But, when they hide a cache with the help of a fellow cacher and that fellow cacher claims a FTF without even logging in the log book and then logs it on line before the date its published, that kinda bugs me.
I would like to find a gentle way of letting them know that it is not the recommended way.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,
Tycoon Otto.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

I don't know of any "official" logging etiquette, everyone has their own rules, except for the main one: sign the logbook=find.

Some people log their own hides, and others don't. I'm personally against people logging their own hides because they usually know where they hid it, thus no real need to search.
Quote::
But, when they hide a cache with the help of a fellow cacher and that fellow cacher claims a FTF without even logging in the log book and then logs it on line before the date its published, that kinda bugs me.
That would bug me as well.

Some people play the game by their own rules, you play by yours.
Just my two cents...

Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents Two Cents

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
I don't know of any "official" logging etiquette, everyone has their own rules, except for the main one: sign the logbook=find.

Some people don't even do that. Play the game you want to play, as should others. As long as you're not ruining it for other.

Sorry about double post, I just wish there was an edit button...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

That is funny, because I actually logged on to create a discussion very similar to this one.
I was curious how people feel about other cachers logging an attended log for an event that they are hosting.

I personally don't care either way, I am just curious how other people feel about it, and what your opinions are.

Let's discuss this in a mature manner without any arguements. It is a game after all, and not everyone plays it the same way.

Now for the logging a FTF on a cache that you were present for during the hide, I don't agree with that personally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

Many years ago I created a couple of caches that were private and published only via private email to a few caching friends. After they had their fill, I submitted them to GS. I see no problem with that. Nor do I see a problem with hiding a cache and letting a friend hunt for it and find/log it before it gets approved on GS.

The only people I can see having their feathers ruffled over that sort of behaviour are the FTF'ers. Oh well....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

Well, geodug and I under a yet to be disclosed alias listed 60+ caches around Burnaby lake.. (oh oh, I guess that secret is out). Technically I could log 1/2 of them we did about 1/2 each. But it really is not about the numbers (did I mention how many FINDS we have on that series!!! - he adds sarcastically) its about the adventure, and fun we were able to give others. To each their own.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

I think it is generally bad form to log a "find" on your own cache. You didnt find it, you hid it. The only "find" I find acceptable on your own cache is one that you have adopted. A friend getting FTF on an unpublished cache is ok if he/she wasn't with the CO during placement. Many people log finds on caches that were placed by friends if they were along for the hide, they usually just refrain from logging until after the FTF has been made. Although thats not something I would do, I am not bothered by it.

Events are a different story. The smiley for an event is for "attended" and is an important number to know how many participants there were. Logging attended on your own event is a good thing.

During a recent discussion on the Groundspeak forums it was noted that the CO of this cache has logged finds on that cache 3 times. I can understand making an error, posting a "find" instead of a "note", but 3 deliberate finds just seems like number padding.

How does one cheat on a game that has no winner? Can you cheat? Who is really being cheated? I don't know those answers. What I do know is that to me my numbers are important. Each of my finds I remember. I can describe the location, container, what the weather was like, what time of year I found it, for every one of my finds, just by the cache title (with the exception of some of the Burnaby Lake caches....sorry CB Jester those all seemed to blend together for me) Its all about the experience for me, which is probably why I only have just over 400 finds in 8 years of caching. Does it bother me when someone mis-logs a cache? Kinda, but only because I feel bad for them that their stats are innacurrate.

In the end it really shouldn't matter to anyone other than the smiley owner. I know my house is in order, for the way I like to keep it. If someone else likes a messier house, or a tidier one, thats their perogative. Who am I to tell them differently.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

savant9 wrote:
(with the exception of some of the Burnaby Lake caches....sorry CB Jester those all seemed to blend together for me)
Yeh me too! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

Anyone who has been caching with me knows well that I have trouble remembering what caches I found that day let alone what caches I found a year ago. Over the years I have no doubt I've logged a cache I haven't found. But I like to think I make up for it for the numerous caches I visited twice because I forgot to log it the first time. I'm not sure anyone with over 1000 caches under their belt can claim 100% accuracy on their find count. Honest mistakes will happen.

I've logged caches where I've only found bits and pieces of the cache but knew well that I did find the hidey spot and most of the cache itself. There are other times where I logged a cache that was missing a logbook and I either threw in a piece of paper or just contacted the Cache owner. And yes, I have logged at least one of my event caches. To tell you the truth, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

About two years after the fact, another cacher contacted me concerned that I didn't find a cache and actually have my count up by one. As it turned out, he was right, and wrong. I DNF'd a cache I found four blocks away but smilied the one I didn't find. So, my count wasn't up, just inaccurate.

I had to think to myself, why do other people care? I've always known geocaching to be a voyeuristic pastime in the technical sense. We can all log on and see who has found what. We get alerts when people find our caches. But unless someone writes great logs online I've never really understood why people surf geocaching logs looking for infractions. It reminds me of a bad Twilight Zone episode.

Everyone plays the game differently. I personally don't like the idea of cache owners giving hints to friends for a FTF, but I'm not going to condemn them for doing so. When I was starting out, I asked seasoned cachers to find my caches before I published them just so I knew that the cache placement was OK. I don't recall them claiming a FTF.

I have a final cache in a series coming out and NOBODY will get a hint. I believe FTFs have to be earned and consider it a weak victory when ya get an FTF and/or hints before the cache is published.
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

In a quick reply to Gorak..if you are giving your friends a chance to search for your cache to value your accuracy or validity of your cache, that's great! But some of the love of the game at times is getting a chance to get a FTF on a cache. If someone has already had that adventure then maybe that should be listed on your cache page prior to the cache coming live. I know I personally have adjusted my lunch break in an effort for a first to find opportunity and I would have been very disappointed to see someone log a find before the cache was published. Just my thoughts...
Gorak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Logging edict Reply with quote

HighMaintenance wrote:
In a quick reply to Gorak..if you are giving your friends a chance to search for your cache to value your accuracy or validity of your cache, that's great! But some of the love of the game at times is getting a chance to get a FTF on a cache. If someone has already had that adventure then maybe that should be listed on your cache page prior to the cache coming live. I know I personally have adjusted my lunch break in an effort for a first to find opportunity and I would have been very disappointed to see someone log a find before the cache was published. Just my thoughts...

Actually, I gave my friends first chance at my cache because they were my friends, not because I needed a second opinion. I'm quite confident in my ability to accurately plot a coordinate and, to be honest, have no idea what you mean by 'validity'.

I don't personally believe that a geocache isn't 'official' until it's published on Ground$peak. In the past I have published caches on Navicache first, and then on GC after it had been found a few times. I've also hidden caches, sent out the cache listing via email to a number of local caching buddies, then published it on GC after it had been found by all of my friends. FTF is FTF regardless of how/where it is initially published.

I'm working on a small series of caches right now that I will likely publish on either Navicache or Opencaching first, GS later, with a FTF prize (brand new, still in box, unlocked smartphone) for the first to find with under 200 finds. If you are a serious FTF'er I would guess that you would also be watching the alternate listing sites for those rare times when a local cache is published there first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1