CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Fraser Valley Ruins
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Butedale Cannery
Butedale Cannery:  [?] . Abandoned in the 1950s, folklore surrounds Butedale as its ghostly lights burned into the night for twenty-five years until the hydro generator was finally turned off in the late 1970s. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Fraser Valley —» Fraser Valley Ruins
toplefttopfilltopright
Fraser Valley Ruins

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eTom22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

I am looking for some ruins located in the Fraser Valley (ideally somewhere near Chilliwack) that are within hiking distance, as I don't have a quad or dirt bike.

I found a tourism site that mentions Chilliwack and "Granite City," an old gold rush town in ruins. Despite my formidable Google skills, my lack of progress frustrated me until I gave up, so instead I take the lazy route.

I'd like to find some cool ruins to explore... buildings ideally, but plane wreckage would be a neat find, too. If there are caches on the hike up and down, all the better.

Anyone know any good sites, coordinates or cache locations near ruins and/or abandoned buildings near Chilliwack and the Fraser Valley?

Thanks!
shortred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

There are ruins of an old kiln (I believe) in Kilby. Rat Ruins (GC10MXN) is located at the site though it's a little tricky to get to right now. I'm sure there are more, but I'll let those with more local knowledge chime in.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

Here is an easy one to visit any time. Cache is called ' A Brick from the Past"
It's the site of the old Clayburn Brick Plant in Abbotsford. The ovens and the shell of the building is still there along with old bricks scattered about.

www.geocaching.com/see...182bff15e9
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

Rat ruins that shortred mentioned and the old clayburn brick factory that Teskelly mentioned are a couple of the only publicly accessible ones that I am aware of in the Fraser Valley. There are other places (abandonments, etc) that are on private property or posted no trespassing..... but explorers tend to be tight lipped about such places.
Uer.ca is a good place to look, but until full member status is earned it is hard to get a handout.

Here is a small photo set I made from last year @ Rat Portage Lumber Mill ruins.... www.uer.ca/locations/v...alid=27775

If you like old mine sites, there are a couple adits accessible in Laidlaw.....

coord.info/GC1JED9 will get you close.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

Granite City is located on the outskirts of Coalmont just north of Princeton.

eTom22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the excellent suggestions everyone! I never thought that they'd be on private property, but of course it makes sense.
curnew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

Although they are not ruins of a city, there are lots of old foundations and such at Mission's Heritage Park:

Here a cache close to them: coord.info/GC230T5
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fraser Valley Ruins Reply with quote

This is a cool ruin to check out, if you have a dirt bike or quad you can get pretty close to it.
Shacked UP! :Bordon Creek
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Fraser Valley
Page 1 of 1