CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions
toplefttopfilltopright
Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Greetings from Landsharkz in Victoria. We were introduced to caching by Ickster and his family in June 2005 and bought a Garmin Legend C a couple of days later.... we didn't take much convincing! After logging onto gc.com we found geocaches galore all within walking distance of our home! We’ve made a lot of new friends through geocaching and really enjoy meeting new cachers on the trail.

Some of our most memorable geocaching adventures have been in the dark, during winter storms (hence our tag line)! The only problem is keeping the log book dry :wink:. Night cachers R US! Our gps always comes on holidays and business trips because the out of the way spots we find geocaching are often hidden gems that most tourists don’t find. We also enjoy solving puzzles and taking on challenging terrain, especially water-bound cache locations. Due to popular request, we’ve started hosting a regular monthly meet n’ greet at a Victoria restaurant. If you’re in the area and it fits your schedule, come on by!
2Fidoes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

'One' of 2Fidoes here. Just got access to the forums today, this is a good thing! My husband and I have been caching since July of 04 (mostly me, actually!). He likes the wilderness ones, I like the ones that take me to new hidden places. We've met many new friends through this hobby, as well as finding new-to-us places right in our own hometown.
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

I discovered geocaching back in 2002 while looking for a GPS receiver to use while 4 wheeling. I signed up in Feb 2002 and at that time there were only 2 caches near Nanaimo and I didn't own a GPS yet..... Forward to June and my mom asked what I would like for a birthday gift. I said 'how about helping me get a GPS?' She said yes... I needed to see if I would really be interested in caching, so I borrowed a GPS and promptly wasted 2 hours for a No Find. Sad
Next day, different cache, found after about 5 mins once I got to the cache site.... Hey this is pretty cool. Cool After taking xstitcher to lunch we had another go at the first cache we looked for. Found that one too. Hook line and sinker. A week later, had our brand new Garmin 12XL and we were off......

Just bought our 5th GPS, a 76Cx. Man does it work well under the trees...
Have the laptop, the digital camera, the WiFi PDA, the 500 personal coins from Landsharkz..
Boy there is nothing anywhere warning you about the addition to and the stinking cost of geocaching, Shocked but we wouldn't be doing anything different. Mr. Green
This obsession has taken us places we would not have found with out caching. We've met people all over the province that have the common interest of caching. The game continues to amaze us and we know we'll be caching well into our retirment.

And I have yet to use any of our GPS's four wheeling.... go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hi, FrumpyHousewife here in Gold River. I'm real new to Geocaching. Hubby needed a hobby so I bought him a GPS for Christmas and he was immediately hooked...(Bushdude). Now I'm thinking I need to buy myself a GPS cuz I like the activity too and he doesn't really want to share Rolling Eyes . Our 9 year old daughter (EagletEye) is now into it too.

Hubby has planted caches at two wonderful view sites in the woods, but a 4x4 is needed. EagletEye and I will plant some more accessible caches as soon as the weather is a bit better. Still lots of snow around here.

Looking forward to meeting other G/Cs down the road.

Cheers!
whitebear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Nice to see some new cachers on the North Island .Caching is still a bit sparse up there ...quite a few in Campbell River but then it sort of lol Peter's out!Hope hubby shares the GPS.... Very Happy
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Smile hike n'bike here...started in January 07 and have some of my own caches out there now......oh and loving the Gold River ones...just got a couple more the other day...lots of reasons to head out there.....here in Campbell River there are lots of caches and I have a few more planned for some of the outlying areas so stay tuned.......have gotten another friend hooked in the past few weeks and have met lots of great people....if you see me it is usually with the "wee dog" but I plan on doing a lot of down island on the bike this year and he can't come with me Sad
Dunworley

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
I have been caching for about eight or nine months and I owe it all to my neigbour Maple-Man. He phoned me one day last summer and asked if I wanted to out caching. Well I did, got hooked, bought a Garmin GPS 76csx (after a lot of research) and the rest is history.
The one question that I have been asked most often, when talking to others about caching, that I don't know the answer to is, 'How many geocaches are there on Vancouver Island?' Does anyone know?
Thanks
Dunworley.
Jougukny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hello to all the GCers. I'm a noob to this whole thing. Just stumbled across GC while i was searching for a TV station on Winamp. Shoutcast had an 'interesting' name for one of the channels (can't remember its name now, but it was a vid of a fellow in Prince George and had something to do with Landsharkz). Then i went to YouTube and did my due diligence to find out more about it. Heck! I'm hooked and i don't even own a GPS (yet). I called my son (in a land far far away) to let him know that GCing would be a great hobby/sport to involve ourselves in. We could compete for Benchmarks; each in our own area. Hey, looking forward to meeting some of you in the Great Outdoors. I'm purchasing a GPS on Payday. I have about 200 dollars for that investment...can someone suggest a GPS brand that would fit the bill for a noob like me??
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Jougukny wrote:
Hello to all the GCers. I'm a noob to this whole thing. Just stumbled across GC while i was searching for a TV station on Winamp. Shoutcast had an 'interesting' name for one of the channels (can't remember its name now, but it was a vid of a fellow in Prince George and had something to do with Landsharkz). Then i went to YouTube and did my due diligence to find out more about it. Heck! I'm hooked and i don't even own a GPS (yet). I called my son (in a land far far away) to let him know that GCing would be a great hobby/sport to involve ourselves in. We could compete for Benchmarks; each in our own area. Hey, looking forward to meeting some of you in the Great Outdoors. I'm purchasing a GPS on Payday. I have about 200 dollars for that investment...can someone suggest a GPS brand that would fit the bill for a noob like me??

Hello Jougukny... I think the show you saw on YouTube was the pre-Christmas edition of Icenrye's Videozine. Landsharkz is in Victoria BC. We're the show's Official Sponsors so he manages to sneak in a few words about our site Very Happy and he uses our products for prizes.

You should think about coming to one of the BCGA's ABC's of Geocaching Events on Feb 1st, 2nd or 3rd all over BC before you make the big purchase. There is one listed for Campbell River and there will also be one in Victoria the same weekend. They are geared for new geocachers, but there will be a room full of experienced cachers as well.

For all the folks that got GPS units at Christmas... there is a continuing ed class at Camosun College on January 25/26 for new GPS users called GPS: An introduction. It covers basic operation and features of Garmin hand-held GPS units and alaso covers marine alarm settings, trip recording features and geocaching!

If you are interesting in trying out a basic Garmin unit (LegendC) we have one here we you could sign out for a few days before you go shopping.
Jougukny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Landsharkz.....interested in more info on Victoria event for specific dates and times. Is there a contact # or email. Yes. I'd like to have a tutorial on GPS and sign one out and perhaps do some urban caching while i'm in town. I have family there. I'll check with Camosun website for the venue and cost of the course Jan 25/26...I'll be in town on that weekend to see my parents.
Jougukny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

sorry for double post...looked for 'edit' button but couldn't see one. Thank you Landsharkz,,,and just check with internet and see that YOU are the instructor on 25/26th Jan....I will do my very best to make it there. (Pre-register? - - or cash at the door?) Thanks again. Great help and a very interesting sport to be sure.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Jougukny wrote:
sorry for double post...looked for 'edit' button but couldn't see one. Thank you Landsharkz,,,and just check with internet and see that YOU are the instructor on 25/26th Jan....I will do my very best to make it there. (Pre-register? - - or cash at the door?) Thanks again. Great help and a very interesting sport to be sure.

You need to pre-register for any Camosun CE course by phoning 250-370-3550 during business hours or online at camosun.ca/ce - quote course number 2008W CRER 110 001. I think it's $79.50 for the two day course.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

The BCGA ABC's event in Victoria will be listed soon. I think it's going to be Sunday Feb 3rd from 2-4 at a restaurant in the vicinity of Admiral's Walk Shopping Centre.

To find upcoming local events click 'Newest in BC' on your geocaching profile page - the events are always at the top; or come here and look near the bottom left on the side bar. There are 'Coming Events for WA and BC listed there'.
diamondmom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My handle is diamond mom and I live in Campbell River. I started geocaching in July 2007 with a couple of friends who had started in May. I am definitely hooked and have been working hard to get to my 500th cache. I hope to reach it before July. I have family in Victoria so I try to get in some caching whenever I am down there. I have also placed caches in both Campbell River and Victoria. I need to watch that I don't get too carried away or I will be spending all my time checking on them instead of finding those placed by others. I look forward to meeting many of you on the trails and at different events along the way. Very Happy
Sunseeker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

We are a family of 4. We visited BC in 2003 for the first time. In 2008, we plan a second trip to Vancouver Island. Our present plans intend to go with a 4WD RV along the west coast from Victoria as close as possible to Cape Scott. I joined this forum in order to establish some local contacts and possibly be supported with some information for local geocaching. Childfriendly caches or such presenting interesting spots are our core targets.

I am hooked to Geocaching since 2005. It was my wife, presenting me a local German geocaching home page on christmas eve 2005. It took me one day on the internet to understand, what it was about. On december, 26th, I grabbed my Etrex and asked my daughters to participate in our first search. After a short while, we discovered our first cache. Since then, we log our caches as Team Sonnenblick. I am no "Geocaching-Extremist" - I managed # 100 this year.
whitebear

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

I posted before but didn't end up posting my history I started on May 03 2003 after hearing some neat stories about The Extreme Team then called Team KFWB placing caches with money (cash not cache) & gps & other cool prizes in the bush free for the taking ....all you had to do was find a few possitions or tags & make a few calculations ....sounded easy .!!! ha those of you that have tried Team adventures know otherwise .
Goldguru was the one who introduced me and after telling me about it I think I had a GPS in 3 or 4 days after that . Back then it was nothing to drive 30 or 40 km to get a cache!
I have see some pretty cool places mountain tops, trail accesses,beach accesses all thanks to geocaching .....keep them coming!!
Popoki_Iti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hi there!
Popoki Nui and I started caching on January 3/2007...and love it! It is great meeting fellow cachers and getting out and discovering things and places in our own backyard, some I never knew existed.
Show me a terrain 3 and I'm off the other way...not as fit and fearless as some of you I'm sorry to say! I love taxing my brain, and the thought that some hiders put into placing their caches is amazing.
Should you ever come across a cacher flat on her back(pack) on a level trail, looking like an upside down beetle....it's me! All because I had stooped to pick up the cache sheet...and on rising, gravity took over and won! Laughing
Happy Caching!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

I started caching may 08 starting with my first cache,Just Hanging AroundI was introduced to this sport at school fro a friend. At that time, I cached under the name milos_bergade. Now I cache under the name Mr. Wilson & a Mt. Goat, myself being Mr. Wilson, and my dog being the Mt. (should be mtn.) goat. I cache in Nanaimo with friends of mine which I introduced geocaching to. I am one of the "jr." cachers here, and still a fairly new cacher with just over 200 finds.

Last edited by Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ladybearbc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Well- I started because we do some travelling and I just don't like going somewhere with the intention of looking at museums - so though this would be an interesting way to see what the 'local's' see. Didn't think my husband would be interested - but it appears he is as hooked as I am. Usually sign the logs as Lord and Ladybearbc.

We are in Ladysmith are not of the T4/5 ilk but have really enjoyed the challenge of some of the caches we have looked for.

Would be glad to meet up with other cachers every once in while.
JeffvS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Alright JeffvS. I am a highschool student who became addicted to this great treasure hunt in May 2008. Learned about this through a friend who mentioned it, asked my girlfriends parents if they had a gps I could use and here I am now. I'd have to say the best thing about geocaching is the satisfaction of finding a cache, and getting to write your name down in the log book. Sure it's frustrating at times; namely not being able to find the cache, or you GPS'r being off by a KM. Any way I'd just like to thank everybody who has placed caches, coins, TBs, and other tradable who have just made this "sport" part of my life.
Runaway Rubber Duckie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hello! I just joined the site.. last thing I need is another interesting website to take up my time! Smack
My brother dingojones introduced my Dad and Mum (Wombat & Riley) and I to Geocaching when I was home for Dad's milestone BD party one summer. I was on my vacation from the cruise ship I worked on, and became addicted immediately. I got a gps as an advance BD present before I went back to sea. The next year or two at sea I spent seeking the different caches I would find in ports on my travels, and it was really fun. I had a little fold-up bike and could ride around and grab as many caches as possible before the ship sailed! The hardest part was when the ship was at sea for days and I couldn't go geocaching anywhere! Snorkel Some of the coolest experiences caching abroad include: Bats attacking me in Castle Aqaba, finding ALL the caches in St. Petersburg Russia by subway, having to 'worship' a cache in Myanmar that was stuffed inside a buddha in the Shewedagon Pagoda Shifty , and finding some very far north and very far south! ..including Svalbard Island, Terra Del Fuego, and Santa's mailbox in Greenland!) Touque
I introduced my boyfriend (Horneymoose) to geocaching when we were on the ship and he loves it! Usually he had to stay onboard and work, and once in Hong Kong I actually grabbed a cache right in front of him, as he was working on the pool deck and I was caching on the parkade level of a big mall we were docked at! Beanie We were pretty much nose to nose.. poor guy watched in dismay holding his bar tray as I grabbed the cache! Kiss
The exotic travels are over and now I am home to stay but happily I can cache whenever I want now! Horneymoose is still waiting in the Philippines for a visa, but Wombat is retired now and is my caching buddy lately!
Magicman65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vancouver Island (and Gulf Islands) Introductions Reply with quote

Hi there, I am Chris(magicman65) and I was recently nominated to run on the 2011 board for the BCGA so I thought maybe I should introduce myself to those that do not know me. I started caching on sept.7th/08 when I drove up to to Courtenay to visit my girlfriend(now fiance) and she had been caching for a couple of years already. She took me to my first cache and I was hooked!!! Nut
I have since found over 1000 caches, placed about 20caches, held several events and even got 150 FTF's. I have met a lot of friends thru geocaching and get together with quite a few even when geocaching is not involved. I live on Vancouver island but travel quite a bit, as I have a very unusual job, you see, I am an award winning Comedy Magician. Jester and when I do leave home I cache wherever I go.
I am quite active in the caching community, I am a member of the Mid Island geocachers and am very interested in being a voice for the island thru the BCGA.

Thanx, Chris Yuill
www.cymagic.ca

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
Page 1 of 1