CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Garmin repairs in Canada?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Flammulated Owl
Flammulated Owl:  [?] . The tiny Flammulated Owl can be found in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Southern British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Garmin repairs in Canada?
toplefttopfilltopright
Garmin repairs in Canada?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordmerren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

I understand that the only place in Canada to get warranty work, or after warranty work done on your Garmin is at Raytech Electronics. I was told that I will have to fill out an online form and send a fixed repair fee before they will even talk to me by phone. Is this a scam, or is this the proper procedure for getting my Garmin repaired. Hope someone has had some experience with this company.Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to give me.

lordmerren
savant9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

Ya i dont like the way that garmin handles repairs in Canada. It is done through Raytech in QC. I had a problem with the battery cover seal on my CO and through contacting Garmin they were more than happy to repair it for free even though it was outside of warranty. Once they found out I was in Canada though the story changed. The garmin rep was unable to assure a gratis repair through raytech, so in the end I just fixed it myself without sending it in. I also didnt like the pay up front procedure that Raytech uses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

I'm not liking the sound of this whole "fixing" buissness in Canada...

A couple days after the Confuzzled Rush my GPS started acting up, and soon after I was getting, at best, 40meter accuracy. Eventually it just quit altogether and would not pick up any satellites.
I'm back at home now and have been letting my GPS sit outside for awhile, got 5 satellites and an accuracy of 12 meters, but by just putting my hand over it, the GPS loses 4 sats. For some reason it seems super sensitive. I was thinking of getting it fixed, but is it really worth it? Or should I just upgrade to something newer???

I'm glad someone posted about the issues with repairing garmins in Canada, got me thinking...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

I only have one experience with Raytech... my old Colorado was 3 months OOW and the USB connection physically became loose and would not longer hold a connection. I contacted Garmin to what they could do and asked for their consideration in having this fixed for free under warranty. Without even questioning me, they told me no problem and they set the order up. I shipped it off the Raytech and literally the same day that they received it, I got notification that they had shipped it back to me. A little worried at first, but when the shipment arrived, they had sent a brand new Colorado to me (they called it refurbished, but it was definitely brand new).

So in short, I had no issues with Raytech in my single experience with them.
lordmerren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to relay your experiences with me. Think I will take the chance and send them the $157.00 flat rate fee for repair, and hope they send me a new GPS. With my luck, I'll get a phone call from Raytech, telling me to "push button A, and now it's fixed".....after getting my $157.00 lol
Thanks again fellas'

lordmerren
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

I tried the reset but nothing is happening, still getting the same results...
Now, what GPS to get???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
Now, what GPS to get???

I could give you a sweet deal on a Colorado 300 with maps......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

savant9 wrote:
Now, what GPS to get???

I was thinking more GPSMap 62 series.... Will do some research....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

savant9 wrote:
Now, what GPS to get???

I was thinking more GPSMap 62 series.... Will do some research....

If it were me and i was going to buy another - before i agree to purchase the unit i'd insist on inspection, i'd open the box at the counter and check two things:

1. Squeeze the case by the power button. if it squeaks, dont buy it, ask for another one. Mine squeaks - i complained, was told that it's common but not a problem on all - and i could send it to raytech for repair. My wife bought it for me as a gift from a dealer that has a strict no return policy (oops!) - otherwise, it'd have been returned the next day
2. Power it up and try the rocker. Mine goes up, down and left great, but right, not so much. Another complaint, another song and dance about it being common on some units. I doubt this one would fly - but, i also doubt that i'd find one that doesnt squeak.

If the place you're looking to buy from wont let you open, or wont let you return / exchange, go buy it somewhere else.

As for me, i'll keep mine until I decide i need another upgrade and I'll remember how Garmin treated my concerns when making the next purchase decision.

Good luck!
The_Pollywog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

I also sent my Colorado 300 to Rayteck after it outright died. I was way past the warranty, so I had to pay the $99 service fee, but I also got a brand new unit sent to me. They were very prompt at least.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin repairs in Canada? Reply with quote

So after emailing Garmin and getting a response back, the only things they recommended were to update the firmware and try the master reset. Tried both once again and I was still getting the same result.

Today I'm happy to say that I just ordered a Garmin Dakota 20, which was on sale for a decent price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1