CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Haida Gwaii
Haida Gwaii:  [?] . The first nations name for the Queen Charlotte Islands and the homelands of the Haida people. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC
toplefttopfilltopright
The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

We are happy to announce there will be a part 2 - Jordy and I have been looking at the calendar over the last week and picked a date - it will be July 1-4, 2010.

Many details to work out, website etc to build. We will be changing a few things up - so suggestions here please.

We are looking at 2 runs during the event - 1) 4x4 and 2) car/mini van friendly and people can enter 1 of them for the competition - but welcome to grab both.

Will be held in the Princeton area (not in Tulameen).

We still have to close up from the Coal Rush - but wanted to let inquiring minds know it will be occuring & when!

Cache on.. (perhaps 42 caches this time???) We'll see

Will let you know when the website is up and planning underway.

Again - it was awesome for so much support! Thank you!

Last edited by Tulameen_Turtles on Sun May 24, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjguy98

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Oh sure.....we're still all a titter about last weeekend, and now you're teasing us about another event a whole YEAR away......do you realize how long that is to wait! Smile

Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Aww yes - we are mean..

website is up guess what it is.. lol

www.greatcopperrush.blogspot.com

(when I get time we will build a real website.. )

We needed to pick a date and have a home as we're working with the city of Princeton this time and they needed a date ASAP to put in their calender of events.. Smile

Now back to the cabin for the weekend..
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I haven't even finished logging the caches from last weekend, but I'm in for the next one!!! I'll book my holidays on monday Party Hat Can't wait!!!
tjguy98

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I've already booked a spot on the 4X4 tour...and claim the FTP (First to Post) on their new blog site Cool

grafinator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Oh oh, GeoWoodstock 8 is being held in Washington State on that same weekend.

Oh what a dilemma.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I think I am gonna have to make a call on this one....change the date change the date......lol
Oh this is a tough tough decision - though a wedding, well sounds even more fun Party Hat

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - July 1-4, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
Oh oh, GeoWoodstock 8 is being held in Washington State on that same weekend.

Oh what a dilemma.

Graf, I posted some important info in the Geowoodstock VIII thread about Kris and Jordy changing the date of The Great Copper Rush. See ya at both events (hopefully).
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

First there is not controversy.. lol while we are very flattered that people would even have to choose - we won't put people in that position.. lol

We're moving it to August long weekend.. Smile We do appreciate the phone calls today from the concerned parties.. but we wouldn't miss woodstock!!

The cabin misses all of you..

So consider the date moved to August (now have to figure out the exact days) - Believe it is July 30 - Aug 2... Smile

We hadn't booked anything yet so we can still change it in the blink of an eye!
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Tulameen_Turtles wrote:
We're moving it to August long weekend.. Smile We do appreciate the phone calls today from the concerned parties.. but we wouldn't miss woodstock!!

Ha ha, didn't think the people that decided Friday night to drive all the way to California for GW6 on Saturday would miss one this close to home!

Party Hat Looking forward to two awesome events in 2010!!! Party Hat
Bestred

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

well whatever the date...consider us booked for the cabin
can't wait to do both of these events.....so excited Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Coin Question for you Coin Collectors - Next Years will have an Icon, and we are working on the Logo that we will need for the event, and as such we are doing the Coin Design for next year.

We're looking at several options - One is doing is Rectangular with an actual black & white/Sepia Photo on the back

Would $12 be too much? With pricing it out and with the icon we can make it work if we do that..

Just wanting feedback early..
911turbos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

$12 is normal pricing for a coin now, so it should be just fine.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Yep, $12 is fine with me!
curnew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

$12 is super reasonable!
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

curnew wrote:
$12 is super reasonable!

Well that's just SUPER.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I would pay it.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Awesome and thank you for your votes.. Smile We will move forward with the plan then.. Kiss

Now back to finding a photo.. Turtle
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

A quick note - we are very close to hearing if we get the fairgrounds as base camp. I touched base with the manager today so cross your fingers!!

If all goes well everyone will have showers, bathrooms and running water!!

And all for between $25 - $40 per unit for Thurs - Monday.. Smile so please send your thoughts this works.. Wink

As soon as we have confirmation we can start taking registrations and moving forward. Everything will be held through the website www.turtlepetprojects.com

The logo is underway, and the first 4 caches have been placed (to be listed in August of 2010) - as well 5 additional locations identified but need to pick up some Ammo boxes. We meet with the city of Princeton August 4th to present and make sure they are on board..

Caching will be from Princton through the back roads to Copper Mountain ( you can safely get a car through them - even if you're not Graf and would like to keep the car in one piece), all the way down to Hedley and then a 4x4 run for those on quads/ 4x4's that want the challenge - We went through July long weekend. There will be additional caches other then what is listed through there.

Whipsaw Geocache Run

The list of what we need help with will be coming very soon!
anakerose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

OK we missed the Coal Rush, I don't think I want to miss this one too Smile
couloir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Don't forget those of us who love to hike and scramble. A few out of the way caches with no AWD track are always appreciated!
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Have no fear!! - It just means Jordy & I need to do the scramble or have someone willing to place it for us.. lol Out of Curiosity for time invested in the hike to the cache for those involving Hiking - we were thinking max time investment for average cacher would be 1 1/2 hours one way (points will be awarded for time and coordinates double checked!). For the starting point of the hikes they will be "car friendly". We will be hoping to work with Kelly Cook in the Princeton area who is helping with reopening trails.

Good news - Meeting with City of Princeton went very well and with a resounding sound of applause we have their approval, support, encouragement and assistance with whatever we need to make this happen. They are very excited to have highlighted an additional 80-100 areas next year on top of what has already been published. The council members were saying they already had ideas on where we could put them. As well Nick, the museum curator, was there to give us a vote of approval!

I still need to update the website just a bit as we have confirmations - but just got home tonight after a great 1 week vacation that put a lot of things in perspective.. Smile

Copper Rush Special Forum

That area will hold most of the conversations about the Coal Rush and where up to date information can be found. We are ready to accept registrations as well at:

Copper Rush Registration

Below is our proposal document we are using for those we are trying to work with:

July 30 – Aug 2, 2010
Great Copper Rush
Geocaching in the Similkameen

Learning our past through a virtual history tour!

This coming year the Tulameen Turtles Annual Caching Endeavour will lead Geocachers through the historic Similkameen Valley highlighting areas of historical importance. They will be working again with the local museum & historians to identify areas that have the stories to tell and help walk those attending through history on a virtual caching tour. Packages will include a book, CD and other information as is fitting.

What is "geocaching"? Well it is basically a worldwide high-tech treasure hunt with a GPS, but with better odds of finding the hidden treasure! You are given the latitude and longitude of where to search for the hidden container, inside you will find a log book to sign and if you like you can trade items. When you are done you re-hide the container so the next person can find it and go find the next one! There are over 11,000 hidden treasures in BC and over 800,000 worldwide.

In May of 2009 they hosted “The Great Coal Rush”, highlighting the history of Tulameen & Blakeburn. They had approximately 150 Geocachers attend the event, for next year they estimate between 200-250 Geocachers will be attending. There will be 4 different “runs” and each person that is attending will have their itinerary based on what they are able to do.

Included will be:
Car Friendly – Which means that there is no requirement for special equipment to get these caches, as well they are friendly to those that are mobility challenged( so no grinding hikes)
Hiking Caches – These caches will require you to put some effort into obtaining the caches through distance or a grind
4x4 Caches – These Caches appeal to the off-road adventurer, but no special equipment is need – they just need vehicles with a bit more clearance then the average Honda Civic has. They also will be quad friendly
Whipsaw Run – The Whipsaw Run will be over the Whipsaw Trail – it is one of the best rated trails in North America and offers some amazing Locations to see and a few unique challenges. Quads will be very welcome on this portion. This run will be occurring on Saturday for those that would like to do it as a group. If you are not going with the group you will require a minimum of 2 vehicles.

Currently within a 15-20 mile radius of Princeton there are 93 active Geocaches, the goal of The Great Copper Rush is to utilize the existing Geocaches combined with new caches placed over the next year. The new Geocaches will be placed in areas of historic importance and the descriptions will include photos and write ups of the area where possible. If the history of the location can not be ascertained then general history of the Similkameen will be provided.

We anticipate placing and having activated over the next year between 80-100 additional Geocaches placed between ourselves and other local Geocachers. The event will include Geocaches in the area ranging from Copper Mountain, Hedley, Allison Lake & the Whipsaw 4x4 Trail.

We are in discussions with the Fairgrounds to be able to utilize it as the “base camp”. We have had brief discussions with Parks Canada and they are willing to work with us to place caches in the parks where necessary.

What are we asking from you the community? We are asking for your help in obtaining stories, photos and identifying locations from the city and local residents. Also we would like to be able to use your stories and photos in our printed material and on the Geocache page. If you have a location that you think would be ideal to highlight the history of it please let us know!

This is a completely grassroots non-profit venture and is sponsored by Geocachers for Geocachers with no corporate ties other then our official suppliers.

Do you have a place or story to share? Kris & Jordy Can be contacted at tulameenturtles @ shaw.ca
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

We are happy to announce the front side of the coin! & the logo.. Smile

Back side still needs to be finalized.. but here is what one side of your coin for next years event will look like
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

We are happy to confirm - we have the Princeton Fairgrounds!

Which means hot showers & flush toilets for those that are attending.

Cost $10 per night you are staying. We are in talks with our volunteer team (if you would like to be on it please let me know) of having very cool venues in the evenings - such as the Catapult Jeff Rootbeer Pub - Scruff's place name is still up in the air .. lol We will be stopping by to identify what else they have, I belive they have horseshoe pits!

You will be able to arrive on Thursday night and stay up until Monday evening. Let us know if you have any questions
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

No no no Mrs Turtle. It is The Catapult Pub and Rootbeer Saloon This will be a Family friendly area to keep everyone busy during the afternoons and evenings. The goal is to have a place for those cachers who have a spouse or children that don't like to cache and give them some fun. What will that be.... pancake breakfast? Gearhedd's Geocoin Poker? I'm not totally sure yet. Yes I'll be looking for volunteers and help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

It's been a few months since we've given an update - now remember folks - only 7 months until it happens! Can't list the cache page for another month yet. There will be 4 events (Friday meet & greet, the event, the awards dinner & a CITO)

A few links for you - these pages will be updated on a regular basis.

Main Page

Formal Registration

Existing Caches to Be Used (not all listed yet)

List of Caches to be submitted for the Event
Many more to be listed here as we find the locations

These Caches that are listed here will be linked to a page that has all their info (except coordinates) A

This weekend I designed the log books that will be going into each of the caches being placed for the event (up to 75 ) These caches will not be listed until the Monday of the event. As well we started putting together the book for the event and it should be organized just a tad bit better. .lol

And if you take a look at the caches that are included that are already listed - it will give you an idea of the area that we will be covering..

Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I made an inqury to Groundspeak about Mega status and what is actually required officially:

Regarding your question on Mega events, to qualify for Mega status the event must have more than 500 individual attendees. If a team of three members signs the log as a team and all three members are present, it is OK to count all three. Persons attending for one, two or three days may be counted only once, and not once for each day. If you believe achieving Mega status is a possibility, you should create preprinted log sheets with line numbers and a column where the number of persons in a family or team can be noted. Logs submitted to Groundspeak to justify Mega status must be very clearly legible or they will be rejected.

Which is great news - We will be doing up a log sheet to make sure that it meets their criteria - but this is great news as every child will count (even those a few days old if they should come out!!), every non caching spouse (althought not sure the geo-pooches will.. lol)

Jeff's creativity is admist the for Rootbeer Saloon & I hear that he's talking about setting up a gold panning area , Movie Nights & even looking to find a bouncy castle.. lol

Will Rudy be there?

I'm also looking to see if we can collect innertubes and get a few people to run people up and down the river so they can "float" on a hot summer day (for those non-cachers)

If you have an idea you'd like to bring to the event to add to the family fun let us know! Those non cachers that might come with their families are just as important!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

If you have a dunk tank I will volunteer. Dunk the Skunk. But rules apply. Must be a certain distance away. Must pay for three balls. And if you hit the target with your hand to dunk the skunk it is an automatic fifty dollar donation to the Copper Rush or eviction from the geocaching community. **snarfle** I will accept no less.

Now who wouldn't pay a few dollars to try to dunk the skunk??? Everyone has a skunk vendetta. Now is your chance.
Bestred

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

i don't have a skunk vendetta...skunks are huggable Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

"If you have a dunk tank I will volunteer. Dunk the Skunk."

Well Mr Scruffster I have been looking into get a bunch of carnival games for the Root Beer Saloon area. If not I will just build a dunk tank and bring it.

The Root Beer Saloon will have the following confirmed activities:

Saturday morning Pancake Breakfast
Gold Panning
Family movies under the stars on the king size screen
Root Beer Bar

More activities will be added as the date gets closer.

Do you have a fun family friendly idea that you would like to see? Let us know.

Also the Root Beer Saloon is hiring. You must be friendly, happy, fun loving, and willing to work a little. The paid is zero but you may get a T shirt that says STAFF on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I am already ready to attend, having found not a single cache past the abbotsford area it's going to be CRAZY!
I think we may talk some of our non geocaching friends to dome along, for the educational experience... and maybe to get them hooked.
It would be pretty cool to list this as a Mega event!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Google Map Here

A quick update for you, we stopped by the venue location on Saturday and did a tour, the cache page has been submitted to mtn-man as well for publishing. 6 Months and counting! On the Map - the "A" is one of the buildings - but we have run of the entire site for the full 4 days.

Above is the link to the Google Maple location of your venue.

There is:

1. A stage
2. A Covered "Root Beer Garden".. lol with about 30 picnic tables that we can move to where we need to be
3. A dance floor
4. Horseshoe pits (we'll be adding that as an activity for the weekend!)
5. 2 Showers for men & 2 showers for women - it's a $1 for 5 minutes (wear flip flops)
6. The entire area inside the horse racing track is slated for camping
7. Camp fires will be allowed (unless we have a ban in effect - but then bring camp stoves & bbq's)
8. For driving in & parking of trailers - Follow the road that drives into the middle of the race track - you can arrive on Thursday
9. there are multiple water outlets on the field

More info will come over the next few weeks - We didn't have the camera with us so can't give updated snow covered photos - but here is another picture:

It will be fun!

Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

It is published!!

Great Copper Rush!

I guess the work begins - and I lose my sanity.. Smile
tjguy98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

Tulameen_Turtles wrote:

I guess the work begins - and I lose my sanity.. Smile

Not a long trip..... Jester
(He says as he ducks a pair of 4 inch red pumps being thrown at his head) Miner

HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

After last year - can't wait for August. I don't think we will have problems with frost on the vehicle windows at this years event. Have done the reservation - now the hard part.
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I know a few men who will all be packing saws and axes in their geomobiles this year !
Can't wait for the event- the beanz had a great time last year and still have bags of bb gun pellets !
tjguy98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

wildbeanz wrote:
I know a few men who will all be packing saws and axes in their geomobiles this year !
Can't wait for the event- the beanz had a great time last year and still have bags of bb gun pellets !

I'm bringing Duct tape for Graf's car.... Bandaid

CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I'm buying bear spray just in case we run into a bear again this year. That was my first brown bear sighting well my first run in period with a bear on the trail.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

I'd also like to add - don't forget the bug spray with DEET in it!

And TJguy - I'd never through the high heels at you - it would be my muddy hiking boots.. Smile

We've spent the weekend mapping it out - where the existing caches are that we're using, and the new ones we have planned already & what trails we're taking you to..

We will give one hint.. We do have a new tramline we'll be taking you to! (with the land owner's permission) & all caches will be within a 40 km circle as the crow flies.. Smile

Ok guess I have to put this away for the day and go to the real world..
phatbennyb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Copper Rush - August, 2010 - Princeton BC Reply with quote

RIDE SHARING:
I know it's still 6 months away, but I thought I'd get cracking now...

Is there anywhere that has specificaly set up for people who are looking to share rides for the weekend? (eg: people who have space/people who need a lift)

I myself don't have a vehicle but I do drive. So I could drive some of the way and of course share gas, etc.
I'm coming from the island so I could meet up with people pretty much anywhere in the lower mainland or on the island.
If coming from the island, I'm also prepared to share some of the ferry costs for the vehicle. Smile
If anybody wants to get hold of me: phat_benny_b @ yahoo.ca

Lemme know if this is not the spot to post this, and I'll post it elsewhere. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 3