CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Locationless Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Inukshuk - Whistler
Inukshuk - Whistler:  [?] . Maybe the best skiing in N. America, and lots of caches too! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» Recommend a Cache —» Locationless Caches
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Locationless Caches
Do you have a cache you would like to recommend? Post it here with the name of the cache as the title of the post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoHackers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

I seem to remember there were locationless caches at one point and now they are no longer part of geocaching.com. I thought there were still some "grandfathered" caches however. Are there any in BC. Anyone know the GC code?
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

Groundspeak made the locationless caches in to waymarking. None of them were grandfathered they were all archived. A locationless cache was also know as a reversed cache where an object like a pyramid was chosen and you had to find one somewhere else and log it usually with a photo. The last day to log one was December 31, 2005. Why do you just want to log one for the icon?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

Yes. I was thinking about it after going to GeoWoodstock and hearing smoothers talking about the icon. Thanks for the info.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

Quote::
and hearing smoothers talking

What is a smoother? I sounds like something that needs a special cream to be put on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

What in the name of all that is sane did I type Smile I meant some other people. I think spell check took over I did not notice. I meant to say that I heard some other cachers talking about all of the icons. Sorry about that but it is giving me a laugh so it is not all bad Smile
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

Smooth explanation
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

When I started caching, Locationless caches were my favourite. I thought it was fun looking for interesting landmarks like Whale Walls, Googie Architecture, a Quonset Hut or a barbershop pole that someone else hadn't already logged. And that was long before I had a digital camera. I did it all with film. **teehee** Many of these caches could be done when conducting day to day business.

I don't know the official reason Locationless caches were axed but I do miss them.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Locationless Caches Reply with quote

Me too! I miss Locationless caches. They were so much fun and got folk really looking at details, buildings, oddities, and points of interest. I loved reading the logs and seeing the photographs on them. Learned and got quite a lot of chuckles etc.
The last one I did was on the Pet Cemetery in Surrey which lead me to form a group to try and save it. Sadly the landowner is more into the money to be made building homes on the property. I met a lot of terrific caring people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Recommend a Cache
Page 1 of 1