CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» rv/big rig attribute
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion:  [?] . The Mountain Lion, also called puma and cougar, are found throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» rv/big rig attribute
toplefttopfilltopright
rv/big rig attribute
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

We have a travel trailer and like to stop somewhere pretty for lunch or supper when we are camping. This was a big reason why we decided to start travelling with a trailer, to enjoy our country more, eat healthier and be able to stop at any time and not have to wait for the next town.
Now we are geocaching too and part of the attraction is stopping at a pretty pullout and grabbing a cache or two while I get supper ready. The kids love having something to do while they wait for their meal. It is very hard to tell from the map whether or not a pullout can accommodate a large vehicle or rv and if it is safe enough to pull off the hwy (no corners or narrow shoulders). I would love to see an attribute icon that told us that this would be a safe, large place to stop. There are some places we just can't stop at but if we could plan our trip around the stops that we could it would be great.
Caching + Camping = Bliss Very Happy
Does anyone else think this would be helpful?
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

Fantastic idea Cachers in the Wry. We traveled through Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana and returning through Alberta and BC. There were times when we wanted to grab a cache but did not know in advance if the location was RV Friendly so to speak. That would have been great information to have had.

I don't know if an Attribute is needed but it would be great if the CO made some reference to the location on the cache page.

My cache "My Point of View" in the Fraser Canyon identifies that it is a large pull out and would accomodate any RV.

Great idea, might want to submit it to Groundspeak and see what their reaction would be, or make your same post on the Groundspeak forums since they are the ones to deal with this point.
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

I did post it on Groundspeak forums as well, that was what groundspeak suggested when I emailed them, so I am hopeful that the suggestion and discussion will bring about the change. I guess I could also add in my log when a cache was rv friendly. It would be helpful to future cachers.

I have "my point of view" on my list of canyon caches to do when we are up there camping next, that a long list of others including the gold country caches which we love.
The Wet Coast Explorers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

We'd love to see this, but since it is up to the CO to add it to the description, it has been really hit and miss in our experience. When we're traveling, its really dicey for us as to whether we can pull over or not to grab a cache given the size of our setup (see below). Rest stops down the I-5 are never a problem, but here in BC we just never know. We've ended up just having to cruise by many a cache that we might have been able to stop at just because of this uncertainty. I'd certainly like to see more consideration given to this by COs who place caches along travel routes.

There was an effort a few years ago to have COs use the TCDN or TCDNBC designation in their cache name along the trans-Canada, along with describing which direction the cache was accessible from and whether it was RV accessible. This was a BIG help in searching for appropriate caches to visit. See this link for some BC examples. Here's a link to the 2005 discussion on the Groundspeak forums.

Type: TCDNBC Direction: East&West RV Access: Yes

The Wet Coast Explorer's geo-pad:
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

Very interesting discussion Wet Coast Explorers, it would be difficult to use such a designation on the cache name to indicate "big rig accessable" caches on other major highways across Canada. Highway 3, 5 and 97 are prime examples in BC.

With so many now going to paperless caching, hardly anyone looks at the cache page anymore, however as cache owners we can still indicate on the cache page if the cache is accessable to "Big Rigs" and when we are planning a route we can check these as possible caches to seek.

I have added a graphic to a couple of my caches along highways which have large enough pullouts to accomodate rigs, hopefully this will benefit those seeking this kind of cache.

I have also added text to indicate the cache is "Big Rig Friendly" as part of the cache description.
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

Obviously I think this is a terrific idea. We are constantly dragging the right side of our rig into the gravel only to pull out onto the pavement again when we realize there's no way we can fit next to the highway. To be able to create a 'big rig friendly' route to our next destination would be awesome Very Happy
Tugman_and_Wifey

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

Having an icon that indicates RV accessibility would be a huge benefit. We can't count the number of caches we have had to drive by after having studied the map and thinking it was safe.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

As the old saying goes, ask, and ye shall receive.

Groundspeak just released a site update and geocaching.com now has a "Truck Driver/RV" attribute that cache owners can set on their caches. This will be welcome news to all you RVers out there!

15471: Add "Truck Driver/RV" attribute
Added new attribute

More info on this month's release is at feedback.geocaching.co...es_6_29_10
Cachers in the Wry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

That is great news. I am going to go through my caches and check to see if any qualify for this. Thanks for the update.
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

That is terrific!! Maybe we'll see some of these attributes on the way to GeoWoodstock Party Hat
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rv/big rig attribute Reply with quote

Oh great! Rolling Eyes Now if I can only get RVTraveller to give me more than 100 feet notice to get the rig stopped Laughing

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1