CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Oregon 450t--Hints???
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat:  [?] . The mountain goat lives in rocky mountainous areas above the timberline throughout parts of North America. British Columbia's population is by far the largest at approximately 100,000. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Oregon 450t--Hints???
toplefttopfilltopright
Oregon 450t--Hints???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

Ok, so I got my Oregon 450t today, and have been studying everything about it -- manuals, warranties, registrations, etc., etc., etc., (Phewww- it was a long day Sick ). So, I have been downloading a bunch of caches which include the Hints and first 5 Logs.
I realize that one of the perks is to be paperless -- but-- when I press on the "Hints" button, the Hint is already "decrypted".
I am wondering if there is a way to keep the Hint "crypted" as I would like to be able to torture my nephews with a little work, and I think it is a small fun part of the search. (Yes, I am the sadistic Auntie who would add more barriers if I could - but since I'm a newbie - it's a work in progress - although I am toying with the idea of a blind-fold somehow -- tee hee hee!!).
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

As far as I know, there's no way to keep the hint encrypted. The only thing that I can suggest is that you DON'T click the "Show Hint" button. I believe that the whole reason behind having a button for it is so that you only look at it when you want to look at it.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

Also, don't forget to read the Garmin Oregon wikispaces page. It has pretty much everything that you would ever need to know, including an entire section on geocaching. I highly recommend that any Oregon user reads it.

garminoregon.wikispaces.com/
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

WOW!!! Smack Is there ever alot of info and jargon to navigate thru. Detective I dunno if I should say thanks for the link, or, THANKS FOR THE LINK Twisted Evil LOL. I think I'll have to put that link on my favourites and maybe just study it in bits and pieces. I didn't realize all the stuff that goes into the sport of geocaching - I figured it was just a nice-n-easy little way of getting some fun physical activity in my life -- what a nieve little muggle I was. LOL!!!
Errrr - wait a minute - I guess I am still a muggle until this weekend when I go out for my first hunt. Coonskin Hat
LordEd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

What cach(es) do you have in mind for your first hunt?
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

I'm thinkin of goin up to Knox Mountain today - even tho it's kinda crappy outside. Am bringin a friend to see if I can recruit him into this sport.
Wish us luck Jester Beanie Coonskin Hat
LordEd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

Good choice. Its usually best to search for regular sized caches before trying to find micros. There's one at the top that has a really good view.

Then there's my cache on Knox which is a bit of a different style. Its on the trail to paul's tomb. I took the idea from another that i've done before, but I don't think there's another like it in the kelowna area right now.

Remember that the GPS only gets you to the approximate area. Once you're within 5-10m, its somewhere in the area. There's no guarantee that if the GPS says 0 that you'll be standing on top of it.
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip LordEd. I was hoping that Knox would be a good place to start.
Wish me luck.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon 450t--Hints??? Reply with quote

LordEd wrote:
There's no guarantee that if the GPS says 0 that you'll be standing on top of it.
LOL, I'm thinking how many logs I've seen over the years, where that was kind of the expectation.

It was placed with a variable accuracy, and your looking with some variability in accuracy.. So you can even double that number to 20m in some cases!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan
Page 1 of 1