CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» can I get Texted?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Racoon
Racoon:  [?] . Curiosity and ingenuity have earned the racoon's reputation as a geocache's primary non-human muggle. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» can I get Texted?
toplefttopfilltopright
can I get Texted?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coast2coast2coast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

This is a question for the cachers that are more computer/cell phone savvy then yours truly...(99% of you).
Can I set something up so that I get a text message alerting me when a cache in my area is approved? I get new ones sent to my Gmail account. But if I’m not online I don’t get the alert… Here is what I have right now;
--Cell phone with free texts (not a blackberry)
--Gmail is my main account
--Shaw mail is my other account

Thanks

Tom
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

Cachers are twittered from BCGA, not full info but enough to click through if you have a web-enabled phone. You can also set up an alert on Geocaching.com to go to your email. Twitter link is on bottom of every page on BCGA site.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

When you setup the new cache notification on geocaching.com, you can specify the email address of your phone instead of your gmail address. All of the local providers do this.

Bell: phonenumber @ txt.bell.ca
Rogers: phonenumber @ pcs.rogers.com
Telus: phonenumber @ msg.telus.com

Note that "phonenumber" is your 10 digit cell phone number. This way, you will receive a text msg whenever the notification is triggered, however only the first 140 characters will come through to your phone. You will still need to visit the cache page for full info, but at least you will know that there is a new cache when your phone goes off.
phatbennyb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

The instant notification to txt message works really really well.
I get new messages all the time letting me know about newly published caches. Teddy2k had it right.
I'm on Telus and that method worked for me... Smile
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

how about Koodo? Just got the phone today...

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

phonenumber @ msg.koodomobile.com

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply...just set it up

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

Cache alert emails are way too big for a 140 character text (SMS) message.
If you have a smart phone, with email access you are better to send it to an email account that your phone can read.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

this was exactly the info i was looking for.Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

How do you get the actual cache coordinates texted to you? I know you can get the notification, but all that tells me is that a cache was published and how far away it is, not the coords...
Help?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: can I get Texted? Reply with quote

Not doable from BCGA. Groundspeak does not send out coords in small messages either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1