CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC
toplefttopfilltopright
New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC
Here you can talk about all the fun items associated with geocaching. Buy/Sell/Barter/Trade here.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dloubert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Paperless, 10,000 geocaches, send to feature, plus more for $200.00.....looks like Magellin is fighting for a market. Check it out..

www.magellangps.com/ex...XploristGC
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

I'm really liking it too. Just might have to surprise someone with one soon.
Restless10101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

WOW Teskelly. You're gonna get me one for all the banana bread, and beef jurky I've given you?! You are the best!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Me likey too! Too bad I don't have the funds to invest in something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

does not mention anything about whereigo caches though...
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

I have always used Magellans. The worries I would have with this one are - the lousy Magellan customer service, you have to use Vantage Point software to get the caches into the machine, there is no SD card for maps or caches, there is only background maps, no topo or street maps, and there is no street routing capabilities.

The price is nice but some of the missing features make me hesitant - besides the old Explorist XL still gets me to the area. Plus Teddy2k is going to get me hooked on the ETrex at the Campbell Valley event in June lol
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Mr. T was very excited when he first saw it - and at first glance it looks awesome - but after we took a deeper look there is no way it would work for us - it's actually (and don't shoot me here - we use Magellens) reminds me of the Geomate jr.

The lack of availability of top maps makes it useless outside of a city - as the "straight as you go" with no roads means that 900 meters could be a 5 hour drive. Although I do have friends that cache without maps and just "watch the numbers scroll" for them it might work -

Unless you can easily relate your lat & long to a back roads map book. We cached that way our first weekend caching -

As well It doesn't look "laptop" friendly - which means my new found love of a 17 inch GPS Screen while exploring so I can upload my tracks to everytrails wouldn't work either.

We'll still be waiting to save for an Oregon..
Doonchak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

FYI Turtles.

GPS City has the Oregon 450's on for 379 with a 50 US dollar rebate from Garmin right now. The rebate is good until June.

Might be picking one up with my birthday money...we shall see Smile
Bestred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
I'm really liking it too. Just might have to surprise someone with one soon.

Poor Restless...he is gonna be sad when he finds out you mean me Smile ha ha

though this thing about topo maps...hmmm that doesn't bother me much, as long as it gets me to the cache....lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Doonchak wrote:
FYI Turtles.

GPS City has the Oregon 450's on for 379 with a 50 US dollar rebate from Garmin right now. The rebate is good until June.

Might be picking one up with my birthday money...we shall see Smile

Alas - it will have to wait until August - all extra funds are going into Solid Axle Swap on Suburban right now.. think he whispered something in his sleep as drooling over 40 inch tires.. lol

Actually - we saw one for 299 down in Washington on the last trip - but the last one walked out the door as we walked in. I know someone else who go there's for $250 - so I know have patience and it will come.. besides I'm not even geocaching right now Coonskin Hat I'm geostashing.. and all you garmin people will have to find the coords with magellen cords.. ha ha ha ha Laughing Laughing
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Been caching a few weeks with the Oregon 200, did not need the 'waypoint transfer' once, and since the maps go on the SD card, no memory problems.

If you need 5000 caches, then I guess the extra $150 is worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Or y'all could check out the just announced GPSmap78 (replaces the 76)

Or the rumoured GPSmap62 (which would be an update of the 60).

Me, I am happy with my Oregon 450. Holding 5000 caches is a bonus, especially when visiting the Lower Mainland or Washington. And the ability to have satellite imagery ("Birdseye") is kinda cool too.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Ooooooooooooo.... that GPS Map 78 looks nice, floats,paperless, good for on the water.
Today I figured out I could go paperless with my Magellan Triton 400 by using a PQ Coonskin Hat , it will be handy on my way down to Victoria tommorrow. Still use my etrex for accuracy though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Hey CB, where did you manage to get the 200 for that much cheaper then the 450?

At GPS city they are the same price (once you factor in the rebate)
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Magellin GPSr Explorist GC Reply with quote

Doonchak wrote:
Hey CB, where did you manage to get the 200 for that much cheaper then the 450?

At GPS city they are the same price (once you factor in the rebate)
Costco, with TOPO Canada included.

www.costco.ca/Browse/P...v=&s=1

Page 1 of 1