CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» FTF Prizes, Great Expectations?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Maple Ridge
Maple Ridge:  [?] . A ranch in Maple Ridge with the Golden Ears peaks in behind. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» FTF Prizes, Great Expectations?
toplefttopfilltopright
FTF Prizes, Great Expectations?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

After a wonderful lunch and gab fest today with Jangor, MsChief gps_y, SOLONM and irlpguy, a number of topics were thoroughly discussed. Of course we talked about 'THAT', but we also had a grand time talking about many other things.

MsChief gps_y brought up the fact that cachers now seem to expect a FTF prize in caches. Since when did this become a requirement when placing a cache?
Look at logs where FTFers are disappointed that there was not a special thing for them to claim.

I'd be lying if I said a FTF prize wasn't a nice touch and I always include such a thing in our new caches. But, have we, in including FTF prizes, somehow missed the whole point of caching? If our eyes are on the prize, does the value of the hunt diminish?

What do you think?
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I like FTF prizes but I definitely don't expect them. There was one day I got a few FTFs and after getting the first FTF prize I left the others for the next in line. I just kept the one I really liked. A starbucks coffee card.
curnew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

We too are ones that like FTF prize and it is the reason that we try to add one to our caches.

Personally, I feel that a cache that is well done, it is WAY better then an FTF prize.

A prime example would be Restless10101's Wild Goose Chase #3 (GC2419P)
www.geocaching.com/see...d36cd72b92

We were FTF, no prize, but the feeling when we completed the cache was WAY BETTER then any FTF prize.
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I think finding the cache is the prize...forget the prize inside.

Why would cachers want a prize anyways? Most of them are just out there for the numbers anyways Razz LOL j/k

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I think the only time someone would think there should have been a FTF prize in a cache, is if that CO tends to put FTF prizes in their caches.

I put FTF wooden tokens in my caches and they are cheap, but I would love to get something similar. I however only leave them in caches that have room to fit a token.

Do I expect a FTF prize NO, well a few times I thought I would find a Tims Card..only the CO couldn't fit it in a micro and they tend to leave Tim Cards for FTF.

Out of 100 FTF's under 20 had anything, I have seen $2-$10 coffee cards, Loonie, Toonie, Token, a FTF Coin, FTF certificates which I keep....
the funny thing is the coffee cards and money are gone but the tokens, coins, certicates are still there in my collection and all are very much appreciated. Thanks!

O
titelines

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

It's the thrill of the hunt, the rush... not the prize that get's us out the door.
a "token" is nice to find, but never expected. We have hiked many miles (we did one last weekend) and there was nothing except the empty log book. That in itself was our reward.
Treasures are for kids, but how often does someone take a child on a FTF chase?...... hummmm?... We may just have come up with an idea for something.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I personally don't care if there is one but I do like the concept. I like it so much so that I have taken it to the extreme a couple of times just to see what kind of response I would get. I also wanted to give that extra bit of encouragement to people as a reward for completing each of the two multiple cache series I have published last year and this year and as a bit of a thank you for doing my caches from year to year.

I posted on every cache in the series that there was 10 FTF prize packs up for grabs in the final cache ammo can. I also made sure they were of decent quality of an assortment of items. Well it most definitely worked as the very first group of 10 cachers not only finished the entire series but did so within hours of each cache in the series being released.

True it shouldn't be necessary to do so but I can personally tell you it sure does guarantee your caches will be definite sought after new FTF releases.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

Interesting topic. Thanks everyone for your responses and I hope there will be more!
What's the $$ limit that folks spend on FTF prizes? Being the Thrift Store junkie that I am, $5 to $10 is my limit. Generally I can get some unique items for under $5 at a local Church Thrift Store.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

$ZERO$. Smile When I stock a cache, it's for kids. FTF is just that, the honor of getting it first, a fun side bar. I personally will not award the retired person, or shift worker, or the lucky person who happens to have a cache list next to their office. FTF is more luck than skill. When did caching become 'Win it in a minute'.

But, hey, if someone want's me to enjoy a Timmy's coffee and donut for my efforts, Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

TESKELLY wrote:
there was 10 FTF prize packs up for grabs in the final cache ammo can.
Each pack was about $8 per

Thank you for your extreme generosity!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I've had 13 FTF's and not a single one had a FTF prize in it, and in my 27 or so caches only one had a FTF prize in it---a simple micro cache.
Of course I've never, ever come to expect a prize in any cache.
I mean, isn't the real prize the places we never would have discovered without geocaching???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

I mean, isn't the real prize the places we never would have discovered without geocaching???

Exactly! We don't cache for any FTF prize or swag. Most of the swag we carry is for the kids and other than TBs or coins we leave items rather than take anything. When caching with my Grandson & Grandniece I just love how their faces light up when we find a well maintained cache with kid goodies. They both know the trade rule well and are very serious about determining 'equal value' trades.

marmi
roscoe9

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF Prizes, Great Expectations? Reply with quote

Well so far I have never managed to be the first person to find a cache so I can tell you that when I finally achieve that milestone it will not matter at all if there is a FTF prize or not!

I have placed only one cache so far and I did attach a FTF pin (wouldn't fit inside). The reason was because this cache was always going to be most difficult for the first person, subsequent finders would have other clues for both cache location and cache opening. It was just a small congratulatory token from me for the finder's achievement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1