CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Attributes are Important
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Attributes are Important
toplefttopfilltopright
Attributes are Important
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curnew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

geo_canuck77 wrote:
I only use them on my caches when I feel the cacher needs to be aware of difficulties they might run into when getting to my cache.

I agree, a great example would be the new cache out here in Abby:
www.geocaching.com/see...4d3ec24742

Stealth Required
Takes less then an hour
Available 24/7
May Required Wading (Does almost all the time!)
Flash Light Required

Someone going to GZ without this information would not be able to likely complete this cache!

Jeff
gearhedd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

A "playground" attribute would be great

As for size, some use the "other" size for nanos. They should listed as a micro, for now until they add a nano size. My 2 cents.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

Jangor say's it all!! So here it is again!!

I think the point of attributes is to help other cachers that may want to know a little more information. Just because you, as a cacher, don't look at the attributes doesn't mean they wouldn't be helpful to others. The attributes add additional information to the cache page and are just a common courtesy to others. The content and completeness of a cache page reflects on the cache owner. Once a cache is published, it is not about "you" anymore, it is about those who are going to search for it.

I particularly like this quote from the Groundspeak forums:

"how about for those listings where CO's don't pick any attributes, instead of am empty space have a default one that says "can't be bothered to assign any""
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

"how about for those listings where CO's don't pick any attributes, instead of am empty space have a default one that says "can't be bothered to assign any"
Excellent idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After every cache we have submitted for publication, a message pops up about adding attribues. The first time this happened I had a panic attack!!!! Then...oh, ok, that makes sense! My problem is keeping the number of attributes to 10! lol

Interestingly enough, although we include attributes with our own caches, we barely glance at them before we do others. They are much appreciated though.

The 'Ticks' attribute could be changed to 'Insect Alert' and include all the bugs we love to hate...Ants, Ticks, Skeeters, Deadly Mexican JumpOutAttcha Spiders, etc.

I recently emailed a newbee CO and suggested they include some attributes like 'Not suitable for children!' The CO was not at all offended and added attributes immediately. Most cachers, new and experienced, really do want to make the hunt an enjoyable experience and are certainly open to suggestion.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

The Net is having a bad hair day! LOL
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

And I thouth I was the only one who posted twice...LOL

Short haired dogs don't have bad hair days, they just smell bad when they get wet...

I like to know if dogs are allowed in the area of a cache so I know whether to take her along or not.
Notwithstanding micro's and Nano's in urban spots, I really like the company of mans best friend when I am hiking along a trail.

My first cache placed in 2007 after having found but a few caches had attributes, my last cache placed after having found 2000 also had attributes. I like them, and like to see them on the cache pages.

Oh well to each their own as they say...
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes are Important Reply with quote

IRLPGUY...you are not alone in posting glitches! LOL The Net has been funky lately and had I just been patient, the double posting(and your teasing!) would not have happened. Oh well, we have fun when we can.

If you want a dog that does not smell when wet, get a Keeshond. See our Avatar. They have a 'dry' coat which means it does not contain the oil that makes most dogs smell stinky when they get wet. Of course IRLPGUY, you will not trade in your canine buddy at this point but you could try sprinkling her with unscented Baby powder. That will wrestle the stink to the floor! Do not use Cornstarch as a replacement for that Baby Powder...as mostly your dog will be very lumpy. Jester
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 2 of 2