CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Parks and Educational Cache Examples
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Parks and Educational Cache Examples
toplefttopfilltopright
Parks and Educational Cache Examples
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinGedling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Parks and Educational Cache Examples Reply with quote

Good day!! I am a new employee with Parks Canada at a national historic site in BC. We're in the process of trying to find new ways to get visitors to come to our site and of course these days, there's a lot of you geocachers out there with some great ideas. I was hoping some of you would be willing to recommend any good examples of "educational" caches in BC or Alberta you've gone through and possibly give me some feedback about what should or should not be included in this kind of a cache. There's no formal plan for a new cache on one of our sites right now, but this might come about later.

Feel free to send emails with advice to kevin.gedling @ pc.gc.ca. Again, merely seeking feedback only at this point and mostly, trying to learn about what it is you guys are all up to! Thanks!!!
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Parks and Educational Cache Examples Reply with quote

Geocaching.com does have a page of guidelines everyone should read before placing a geocache. It included topics such as container types, content, and proper placement. That's where I would suggest you start.

www.geocaching.com/abo...lines.aspx

TESKELLY
MrGigabyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Parks and Educational Cache Examples Reply with quote

KevinGedling wrote:
Good day!! I am a new employee with Parks Canada at a national historic site in BC. We're in the process of trying to find new ways to get visitors to come to our site and of course these days, there's a lot of you geocachers out there with some great ideas.

I would suggest that Parks Canada staff first refer to your own guidelines for placing caches in National Historic Sites.

www.pc.gc.ca/docs/pc/g...index.aspx
www.pc.gc.ca/docs/pc/g...ache1.aspx

These guidelines were derived from several years of consultation between Parks Canada and Provincial geocaching organizations across Canada, after Parks Canada banned geocaching in all parks, lands and sites, which they manage, in 2004.

The BCGA was an integral part of developing the the current policy which now allows geocaching, in a limited capacity, in Parks Canada jurisdictions.

I trust that any caches hidden by Parks Canada staff in lands managed by Parks Canada (including National Historic Sites), would adhere to these guidelines.
KevinGedling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Parks and Educational Cache Examples Reply with quote

Thank you, you two for your replies. I've reviewed our internal guidelines for geocaching and am fairly familiar with them. I'm actually just wanting to get some interesting creative and educational ideas from you folks and perhaps some examples of where you've noticed geocaches of an educational related nature seem to work best, if any members out there have encountered them and used them in the past. I would like to consider producing something for our site, but I am looking for things like what people enjoyed about "educational" caches in BC and even to find some good examples and try them out myself....

Hope this clarifies my intent with the posting....I know there's a lot of work that went into these guidelines and with them in mind, I think we can really enhance our site messages in this way potentially.

Cheers for now and any questions, please email or post here...

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1