CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Car / Electronic Laws
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mount Sheba
Mount Sheba:  [?] . Reminiscent of the temples of Egypt and Persia, the exotic landscape beckoned early pioneers to name the peak Mount Sheba. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Car / Electronic Laws
toplefttopfilltopright
New Car / Electronic Laws
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordEd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

The new law prohibiting using a cell phone while driving without a hands-free kit applies to other electronics, including handheld GPS devices:

From www.drivecellsafe.com/...evices.pdf

A person may use a Global Positioning System (GPS) for navigation purposes while
driving if:
• It is programmed before the person begins to drive or operate the vehicle; or
• It can be programmed in a voice-activated manner, and
If it is a hand-held GPS device, it must not be held in the hand; and
• It must be securely fixed to the motor vehicle in a manner that does not
obstruct the person’s view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or
interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the vehicle.

Fines for using non-communication devices improperly are $167
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

Quote::
It must be securely fixed to the motor vehicle in a manner that does not
obstruct the person’s view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or
interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the vehicle.
I wonder if that means the 'bean bag' type dash holder are technically not legal. I realize that part of the law has probably always existed, but reading that over it is not clear what 'securely fixed' actually means.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

Hmm . . . I wonder if being securely held in the hands of Mr. Co is legal. He shows it to me when I ask as he neither drives or navigates - but IS helpful in other ways.
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

I wonder if my wrist GPS is considered "hand held" since looking at it is no different than looking at a wristwatch.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

I hope that the bean bag style is Ok since that is what I have. I guess it blocks some of my view but then again so does a hanging a CD from the mirror. I don't think they would go so far to ticket me for this.

I have heard in the states you can use the dash mount, but mounting to the front window is not allowed.

It's not the gps I'm worried about, I now need to leave my blackberry in m pocket... or pull over LOL

Happy New Years!
jangor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

Nuvi mounted on the dash partially blocking the view, talking on the phone when you grab the GPSr that flys off the seat when you pull over for that nice policeman. That would be 3 x $167. This could get to be an expensive hobby. Jester
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

I think most traffic duty officers are not cruising around, looking in windows for people on their phones. Most cruisers you see around are General Duty, attending to businesses and residences, not ticketing people. Traffic cops are more likely to have speed traps and seat belt checks on the go, not on the move cell phone/gps checking. But if you did happen to get pulled over for some other traffic violation, and you were see on your phone, then you could get Quadruple whammy.

Have you ever seen anybody pulled over for not having their kids in car seats, putting on make-up (that technically has always been an infraction), or driving with undo care? Not very often. I see these types of drivers almost every single day, and they are not receiving tickets.

Yes, some person will be yapping on their phone in the wrong place @ the wrong time and get caught when its the right cop, but don't expect cars pulled over getting tickets. More than likely it will be enforced in the same way seat belts are, or at intersection patrols etc.

I'm not a big talker on my cell phone, like a couple of calls a week, and usually not in my car.

When I got my little Honda Fit last year, I had a new Stereo with built in blue-tooth for two reasons, one I could not talk on the phone and drive a manual transmission, and I knew this law would come eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

Funny how I read this and see an Impaired Driving Charge/Criminal Law
ad on the bottom of the screen. Happy New Year and I hope you don't need those lawyers any time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

I wonder if this bad boy will be OK or not??

www.amazon.com/Mobile-...04654&sr=8

Bonus points for the hilarious reviews and product images Mr. Green
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

I liked this review
Quote::
This is a soooo long overdue I can't believe it took mankind 200,000 years to invent it. I'm typing this review from the drivers seat of my luxury escalade as I race through traffic on the cross bronx expressway. Now my important facebooking, tweeting, and skyping can monopolize even more of my time while things like 'defensive driving' and 'paying attention at the wheel' can literally take a back seat. Hmmm.... my car seems to be alot more upside down that I usually like it, and it certainely is getting hot in here. Kids, quiet that screaming, I'm trying to write a review. Just unbuckle your safety belt honey, they'll be here with the jaws of life shortly. Oh my, I seem to be burning alive! I wonder what yahoo answers can suggest? Still, life well spent considering I got to use this great product for five minutes before dooming my family to a searing metal death!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Car / Electronic Laws Reply with quote

A couple of vent, window mounts can be purchased from HK China on Ebay for really good prices. Try it! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1