CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Disabled Dilema
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Prince George
Prince George:  [?] . Known as BC's northern capital, Prince George is a bustling city of over 77,000 [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Disabled Dilema
toplefttopfilltopright
Disabled Dilema
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roscoe9

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

I can understand that sometimes circumstances occur that prevent cache maintenance from occurring in a timely manner or sometimes for a long time. If road works or Olympics etc are the reason, a note posted on the cache page puts cachers in the picture and is appreciated.

If a CO finds they are unable to maintain a cache for a while, perhaps a note asking for a volunteer who would be willing to oversee maintenance for a while/adopt the cache could be posted to the cache page? I would be willing to do this for some disabled caches in my area but have been reluctant to contact CO's for fear of treading on toes or violating some "cacher's code" or something I am not aware of.

I do try (as do many others) to assist in the maintenance of caches I find, such as replacing baggies, drying caches out, replacing pencils, etc. but would be happy to do more if needed. Just let me know.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
I was totally teasing about the moratorium, it would have to be self induced for sure Jester .

We are about to have a LOT of international tourists coming by our caches though, so if you know of one that is at a very inviting location that is in tough shape and really seems abandoned, why not go and do a good deed at least to tide it over for a while? People do come back from holidays making general statements like 'NL' or 'Martinique' has a lot of wet, mouldy, rotting, rusted caches full of junk (sorry NL and Martinique to use you as an example). We really don't want people going home saying that BC has yucky caches, and they'll make that comment even if it's just a few that are like that but they are the ones they visit. Think of the caches that are in popular locations that are easy to get to and make a list.

Tell ya' what... Lightbulb if YOU (yes YOU) are willing to go and do real maintenance before the Olympics on a cache that is in rough shape and it is potentially on the 'tourist trail', drop us a line with the GC number and your address and we'd be happy to put a wee cache maintenance kit in the mail to you, to thank you from Landsharkz.ca for doing your bit. It won't cost you anything more than your time (and bus fare/gas?) but you'll be sprucing up the place for our upcoming international caching visitors. Believe me, when the caches look great nobody thinks twice about it, but when they're 'sad' word gets around on the forums back home.

* Kit will include a Rite in the Rain Logbook, some swag and a pencil. If we see that it's in a BC Park, we'll add a couple of BC Parks items too Present .

1. Find an abandoned cache that is likely to see tourist visitors,
2. Post a note on the cache page that you're going to come by and fix it up,
3. Send us the GC number and your mailing address so Robyn can ship your kit(s),
4. Go fix it and post another note to let folks know it's done,
5. Sit back and feel great for doing your part!

I know this is old news now, but I just had to post a reply. I'm very impressed at your proactive and generous response to this issue! Did anyone take you up on your offer?
Bestred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

roscoe9 wrote:

If a CO finds they are unable to maintain a cache for a while, perhaps a note asking for a volunteer who would be willing to oversee maintenance for a while/adopt the cache could be posted to the cache page? I would be willing to do this for some disabled caches in my area but have been reluctant to contact CO's for fear of treading on toes or violating some "cacher's code" or something I am not aware of.

I do try (as do many others) to assist in the maintenance of caches I find, such as replacing baggies, drying caches out, replacing pencils, etc. but would be happy to do more if needed. Just let me know.

I like the way you think Smile

I would not be offended if someone offered to help me out with a disabled cache (which I have none now....yay! Smile ) I think it would be wonderful if I were unable to get to a cache to due an illness or some personal reason, and someone contacted me and asked if they could help.
You are the type of cacher that geocaching needs Smile
Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

I did contact an owner and offer to go and maintain her caches because she was ill and did not receive any reply. I also heard from other people who offered to do the same for her caches and these offers were also ignored. What should be done then?
curnew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

Hey Julebear,

The last couple times we've been out, we simply went and replaced the container for the CO and THEN emailed them. I've had a couple people replace logs and what not for us in the past and I remember the warm tingly feeling we felt. Just in case I keep extras with me not for the fun of it.

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can maintain the most disabled caches Smile

Rolling Eyes
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:
Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
I was totally teasing about the moratorium, it would have to be self induced for sure Jester .

We are about to have a LOT of international tourists coming by our caches though, so if you know of one that is at a very inviting location that is in tough shape and really seems abandoned, why not go and do a good deed at least to tide it over for a while? People do come back from holidays making general statements like 'NL' or 'Martinique' has a lot of wet, mouldy, rotting, rusted caches full of junk (sorry NL and Martinique to use you as an example). We really don't want people going home saying that BC has yucky caches, and they'll make that comment even if it's just a few that are like that but they are the ones they visit. Think of the caches that are in popular locations that are easy to get to and make a list.

Tell ya' what... Lightbulb if YOU (yes YOU) are willing to go and do real maintenance before the Olympics on a cache that is in rough shape and it is potentially on the 'tourist trail', drop us a line with the GC number and your address and we'd be happy to put a wee cache maintenance kit in the mail to you, to thank you from Landsharkz.ca for doing your bit. It won't cost you anything more than your time (and bus fare/gas?) but you'll be sprucing up the place for our upcoming international caching visitors. Believe me, when the caches look great nobody thinks twice about it, but when they're 'sad' word gets around on the forums back home.

* Kit will include a Rite in the Rain Logbook, some swag and a pencil. If we see that it's in a BC Park, we'll add a couple of BC Parks items too Present .

1. Find an abandoned cache that is likely to see tourist visitors,
2. Post a note on the cache page that you're going to come by and fix it up,
3. Send us the GC number and your mailing address so Robyn can ship your kit(s),
4. Go fix it and post another note to let folks know it's done,
5. Sit back and feel great for doing your part!

I know this is old news now, but I just had to post a reply. I'm very impressed at your proactive and generous response to this issue! Did anyone take you up on your offer?

DIOS, two people from the Lower Mainland contacted us for kits. Two is better than none! We still have some cool BC Parks magnets that we picked up at HQ one day. Anyone that is going to imminently maintain or hide a cache in a BC Park is welcome to drop us a line and we'll put some in the mail to you.
Julebear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

Hey Curnews,
I have replaced several logbooks, because I usually carry extras with me, too. However, when looking at logs on a cache page, in an area I'd like to cache, I see lots of disgruntled cachers' comments, I offered to help out. That's all, but I'm not going to purposely go caching to fix an owner's cache, when it's been disabled, unless the owner wants me to fix it. That was my offer, which was ignored. So, haven't been to cache in that area! Maybe I will someday...
SOLONM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

replacing log books is swell.......drying out soggy containers is great.....replacing containers is not good unless of course you have the old one in your hands & can duplicate what the CO intended. There have been folk who "replaced" the container simply because they could find the cache.......a simple means of gaining a smiley Sad
Take care of your intentions in this department...it is confusing when there are 2 caches with the same name on them. Replacing caches for the most part is best left up to the CO......if they don't want to do that, a needs archived flag should be in order.
curnew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

Quote::
Replacing a Container

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

We only replaced a container that:

a) We had actually found the cache before and were in the area, checked and it was not there and had a bunch of DNFs

b) Found a cache that was damaged and by fluke had an identical replacement container with us.

By no means do I encourage replacing a cache that you can't find or that you haven't found before. Heck, we couldn't find one of our own caches due to a big pile of leaves that had blanketed the area. 4 or 5 dnfs later, someone finally found it even though we couldn't! Smile
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:
mtn-man does a fine job, and I do appreciate him, but I do think that groundspeak should give us another reviewer, preferably in our own time zone. I think we're a big enough and diverse enough province to have 2 reviewers.

Every Reviewer has much more than just a small area like BC to manage. Even mtn-man has several other states to do other than BC.

I really have never seen a problem with caches 'not' being listed because of work-load on the Reviewers Part. I don't have an expectation of a cache getting approved in only a day or two (though often they do). More often than not if a cache is slow to be published it is because there is a problem with the cache, not the reviewer work-load. We really are small potatoes as compared to other areas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Disabled Dilema Reply with quote

It seems to me the original intent of this thread has been buried/lost/blindsided. It would be great to get it back on track as the original intent had a lot of merit Paperbag
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 2 of 2