CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Know your land know your prey!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mount Sheba
Mount Sheba:  [?] . Reminiscent of the temples of Egypt and Persia, the exotic landscape beckoned early pioneers to name the peak Mount Sheba. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Know your land know your prey!
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Know your land know your prey!
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

For those of you out there that have seen a TV show called MANTRACKER, I always thought it would be fun to get two geocachers to volunteer to be the prey. It would be a great endorsement for geocaching -- especially if the geocachers could win.

The sad thing is you can't navigate with a GPS. **teehee** Any young, fit geocachers with good navigation skills interested?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

I've always wondered how they get the camera men in all the right positions. I still would love to participate, to bad about school Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

If some people ever do end up starring on the show I'd love to watch it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Well, if Scruffster was out there he would certainly find one of his famous "trails". That would be the supreme challenge for Mantracker! It would also be pretty tough for the horse too Beanie
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

If I was on Mantracker I'd be caught in an hour.
savant9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
If I was on Mantracker I'd be caught in an hour.
The scent would give you away?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

What's the show Mantracker about? Instead of hunting animals, we hunt humans?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

It's a Canadian reality show. Mantracker is a guy who is highly talented in Search and Rescue. He's able to find people by their tracks, broken branches, the way grass or leaves are trampled etc. Two people are paired together to hike, jog, run, bushwhack 40k through a section of forest. The Mantracker, along with a guide, has to find and capture the "prey" before they make it to the finish line. The "prey" can go anywhere but must make it to the pre determined finish line within two days using only a map and a compass. Mantracker must be on his horse during the capture.

Hmmm. The Website mentioned that Mantracker is going to Hawaii. Now there's an adventure for the prey if anyone is truly up for the chalange. If I was 20 years younger I'd be filling out the application in a heartbeat. There must be two rugged geocachers out there willing to take on the challenge.

As brave as I am, I have no doubt I'd react like Michelle if I spotted Mantracker on his big horsie **lol** The capture on this clip is just too funny...

Boo Hoo
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
I've always wondered how they get the camera men in all the right positions. I still would love to participate, to bad about school Crying or Very sad

Rumour has it that they do the real chase with just the handheld cameras and no crews, and then they re-enact it with the camera crews and full equipment.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

It must be as DOIS said. A camera and sound guy tagging along on the real chase would be a dead give-away to the Man-tracker. There is no way a small crew of even two could keep up with the prey, and not give away the position.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Catapult Jeff, had a ManTracker Challenge which involved him hunt two cachers. No horse but he would be armed with a paint ball gun. LOL

Love the show,... Just watched it Friday nite.

I have heard from another cacher that they knew someone who was on the show and won in reality but on TV they ended up with a different out come...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

I've seen a couple shots of the cameramen decked out in full camo, maybe that's just a trick thought. Coonskin Hat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

We're devotees of this show as well. There have been some shots where we've caught glimpses of camera crew in guille-like suits. Have wondered about how they avoided leaving additional tracks / trace also...

Truth be known, that show has helped my geocaching - on more than one occasion (usually as i approach being second or third to find) i've been able to find and follow very subtle trails of people before me. Heck, the whole silver / dark grass (going away from you / towards you) trick has even worked before too...

I really want to get him out on the water with us one day, would be interesting to see how he would adapt to a dynamic environment (no tracks & variables caused by wind/current). Smile
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

No volunteers yet??? Who would make a good team???

Mr. G and CanadianBacon?
Grafinator and Teddy2k?
Gecko Cacher and RVtraveller???

Hmmmmm.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

Mr. G and CanadianBacon?
Are you trying to kill me? MrG would be dragging my unfit self down the trail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Better CB than me. **teehee** Anyone I'm with would have to carry me.

Where are all the fit and healthy army/ coast guard dudes??? Anyone that volunteers will get a glowing letter of recommendation from the BCGA. **teehee**
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
No volunteers yet??? Who would make a good team???

Mr. G and CanadianBacon?
Grafinator and Teddy2k?
Gecko Cacher and RVtraveller???

Hmmmmm.

I think you're close with GC and RVT... The contestants you want come from the hallowed hills on the island to the west called Vancouver Island Coonskin Hat .

They're the ones who spend days hiking peaks, working round the clock to race contestants to the finish in challenging KFWB Team Contests. These hardy souls go from the west coast (land or water), to the back woods of WA and OR and AZ to the Utah desert and the Colorado mountains with survival gear for a 10 day stay in small bags Coonskin Hat . To heck with cell phones, they use HAM radios, do massive RW and Bearing Bearing calculations on the fly and have worked alongside Utah SAR to locate positions.

They've been around a while and they may not play the game the same anymore, but they're a hardy lot that could out track Mantracker any day! Heck yea!!
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Idea OK I think I have the perfect foe for ManTracker.

SURVIVORMAN

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

I have to say Survivorman is way, way, way better than the other guy, Bear Grillis (how he got that name???) on the show Man VS. Wild. Survivor man is so much more realistic, when Man VS. Wild seems to have everything set up.(It's still fun to watch though! Beanie )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

I think the only way I could beat Mantracker is if I sent my buddy and cameraman ahead to create a false trail. While I stayed behind and waited for Mantracker to pass by. I would follow at a safe distance "hunting the hunter" and waiting until nightfall. Because even Mantracker has to sleep. And then I would steal his horse and gallop to the finish line. Then I would split the prizemoney with my decoy. Sounds like a plan for us unfit types.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Gecko Cacher wrote:
:idea: OK I think I have the perfect foe for ManTracker.

SURVIVORMAN

I'm not so sure - Survivorman can certainly last out in the woods, but his skill set includes being seen, and not eluding detection. He leaves trails wherever he goes!
chrisoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Quote::
I have to say Survivorman is way, way, way better than the other guy, Bear Grillis (how he got that name???) on the show Man VS. Wild. Survivor man is so much more realistic, when Man VS. Wild seems to have everything set up.

I agree Mr Wilson, like the time Bear Grillis caught a giant carp by using his fingers as bait, and then when it bit him (hard), pulling the fish out of the water. Not something I'd probably do, though I guess if you're hungry enough...
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

A Geocacher would never be able to win against mantracker all he would have to do is hide a new cache between the start and finish and just hang out wait them to claim the First to find!
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

plumbrokeacres wrote:
A Geocacher would never be able to win against mantracker all he would have to do is hide a new cache between the start and finish and just hang out wait them to claim the First to find!

But would ManTracker be able to identify his foe in a group of 8 FTF hunting geocachers at GZ? They could all scatter in different directions leaving MT in a query of who to chase. That would be funny on the TV show! Laughing

Gecko

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Know your land know your prey! Reply with quote

Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat wrote:
I've seen a couple shots of the cameramen decked out in full camo, maybe that's just a trick thought. Coonskin Hat

I could see one guy going with them, two at the most, but they would have to be using pretty light equipment, or they would be sitting ducks.
I still think much of it is re-shot for the cameras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1