CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Blitz - 2010
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Blitz - 2010
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache Blitz - 2010
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jangor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Just tossing an idea on the table to see what everyone thinks.

Would it make sense to extend the voting time for blitz caches for a couple of months after the placement period?

eg. If blitz month is May, all blitz caches would have to be placed during that month but the voting could remain open for an additional month or two. This would certainly allow a lot more cachers to visit the caches that are not in their immediate area.

Not sure if there are any technical issues having the voting open for three months, but CB can let us know on that.

Thoughts anyone?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I personally think that it should only be extended by 2 weeks, three months for me seems like too long. Just my Two Cents

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

jangor wrote:
Just tossing an idea on the table to see what everyone thinks.

Would it make sense to extend the voting time for blitz caches for a couple of months after the placement period?

eg. If blitz month is May, all blitz caches would have to be placed during that month but the voting could remain open for an additional month or two. This would certainly allow a lot more cachers to visit the caches that are not in their immediate area.

Not sure if there are any technical issues having the voting open for three months, but CB can let us know on that.

Thoughts anyone?

We don't choose to go hunt Blitz caches during the Blitz season over other caches that are coming out unless someone specifically recommends one that we should check out. Amandazon's animal series was one of those for sure. When we have time to go caching, we like to go where there are a bunch of caches we can get by parking once and walking lots, maybe for hours at a time with the Dog . 2Fidoes and I sometimes do mini cache blitzes on a Sunday morning, we don't ever say 'hey let's go find some BCGA Cache Blitz caches'. Is that bad?

It might be better if there were a prize for people who visited the most Blitz caches in their area (or other areas) to get people hunting them over all the other new caches that are coming out at the same time to ensure that the Blitz Caches get lots of visits/votes in the time allotted.

What is the purpose, goal or mission behind the Blitz? There seems to be so much cache density... Can the Blitz go Eco-Friendly this year perhaps?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

One or two caches per cacher.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance, but what is blitz caching?

I'm going to guess that it's a bunch of caches that are released on a certain day and everyone goes and finds them? Am I close? Rabbit Ears

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Oliverthenakedbear wrote:

I'm going to guess that it's a bunch of caches that are released on a certain day and everyone goes and finds them? Am I close? Rabbit Ears

That's close. The entire month is Cache Blitz month. In the past the Bllitz Caches have been released starting on the first of the month and can continue being hidden up until the end of the month. The sooner you hide your cache(s) for Cache Blitz the better chance of them getting votes. By the middle of the following month there are wrap up events all over the province.

Lots of communities/regions across Canada have the type of event you're suggesting Oliverthenakedbear. Caches are pre-hid, released by the reviewer on a Thursday (for advance puzzle solving and route planning) or Friday and then it's caching frenzy for 24 hours culminating in a wrap up event on Saturday night. The actual caching starts at 6pm on Friday regardless of whether the caches are released on Thursday or Friday. The early release is to give folks 24 hours to solve puzzles and plan routes.

Well established weekend blitz caching events are being held in Ottawa, Kingston, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, etc.

It's the same but different. Ours is a month long hide with caching happening while hiding is still going on plus it's province-wide. The others are a couple of week pre-hide and then a 24 hour cache blitz. Both have wrap up events with prizes.

Last edited by Mrs_Landsharkz on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

jangor wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

This would mean that BCGA Cache Blitz could potentially go on from May 1 to July 31 - that's 1/4 of the year Confused . I think that's really too long, energy and enthusiasm will wane and people will be off for summer holidays when wrap ups are happening.

Does the Cache Blitz have to follow the same format? Can it get a major shake-up this year? Sheep

Last edited by Mrs_Landsharkz on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Here's the link from last year's blitz Blitz 09
Simply you hide caches, or find caches and vote on them to see whose is best.
The caches can win prizes in various different categories, including a cache you hide. Last year they had to be hidden between May 1st and 31st.
I'm terrible at explaining but that basically what it is, it's to get people back out caching and to "dust of the winter cobwebs" by finding some caches. Magnify

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity again, I went to the Blitz link and that was very kewl, but which caches won last year?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity again, I went to the Blitz link and that was very kewl, but which caches won last year?
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...tz_Results

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Smack Why didn't I see the BLITZ '09 link on the left hand panel and click it instead?

Thanks for the links.

BTW, I was looking at the Cache History link as well to see if the Blitz '09 had any impact on the numbers (# of caches placed and # of cachers (non bc residents in BC) and I found...something interesting.

Date BC Cachers Non BC Cachers Finding in BC
Apr-2009 4889 4012
May-2009 5186 4156
Jun-2009 5444 4978
Jul-2009 5 5
Aug-2009 5 6
Sep-2009 6 6
Oct-2009 6 7
Nov-2009 6 8

It seems like 2 months after the Blitz, it has decimated the BC Cacher's population by a few thousand. Life Preserver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

There is a bug in the query,I found that yesterday too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
jangor wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

This would mean that BCGA Cache Blitz could potentially go on from May 1 to July 31 - that's 1/4 of the year Confused . I think that's really too long, energy and enthusiasm will wane and people will be off for summer holidays when wrap ups are happening.

Does the Cache Blitz have to follow the same format? Can it get a major shake-up this year? Sheep

Perhaps 'shake-up' is too onerous, but how about a group from around the province (exec or volunteers) look at whether it's meeting the needs/wants of cachers in BC and see if any tweaks are needed to the format, duration, etc.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I found with one of my caches, 1) hidden on an island - great new location but need boat , 2) puzzle cache - some didn't solve or don't even try, 3) once the FTF is gone the hunt for a harder cache goes un noticed for some time. I believed this cache could have won, I put a lot of work into it, theme was well tought out and so on.. but only two vote from the only ones that did it in the month and it was one if not the first cache released.
So I believe that some good if not great caches do not get a second look when easier caches are out there. In the past years most caches only had an average of 5 votes and the top score and the lowest score should be eleminated to give a true score but with 3 votes counting does that give you a true winner.
That being said the caches that won were well deserved. But I think the voteing system needs tweeking.. I think 1-10 not 1-5. Maybe also you could enter five different catagories before hand. I don't know if this makes a difference but when you have a cache that is an ammo can for the final.. but your cache is a great puzzle with a great view, and the cache page is perfect... but innovation and camo were not part of your plan, yet they get a vote of 1-2 does that hurt you. Also some are stingy voters and give out low scores and does that play into everything.

The cache blitz brings out the best in everyone and we end up seeing some great caches published.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:
I found with one of my caches, 1) hidden on an island - great new location but need boat , 2) puzzle cache - some didn't solve or don't even try, 3) once the FTF is gone the hunt for a harder cache goes un noticed for some time. I believed this cache could have won, I put a lot of work into it, theme was well tought out and so on.. but only two vote from the only ones that did it in the month and it was one if not the first cache released.
So I believe that some good if not great caches do not get a second look when easier caches are out there. In the past years most caches only had an average of 5 votes and the top score and the lowest score should be eleminated to give a true score but with 3 votes counting does that give you a true winner.
That being said the caches that won were well deserved. But I think the voteing system needs tweeking.. I think 1-10 not 1-5. Maybe also you could enter five different catagories before hand. I don't know if this makes a difference but when you have a cache that is an ammo can for the final.. but your cache is a great puzzle with a great view, and the cache page is perfect... but innovation and camo were not part of your plan, yet they get a vote of 1-2 does that hurt you. Also some are stingy voters and give out low scores and does that play into everything.

The cache blitz brings out the best in everyone and we end up seeing some great caches published.
I also agree to the 1-10 system as well as the category part. I find that those 1 and 2 votes really did hurt the results for something you weren't trying for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I agree with Jangor that there should be a longer voting period, at least 3 weeks to a month after the Blitz placement closes.
Some Blitz caches get placed on the final day and then we have to scramble!
I work full time and can only cache during the weekends, although tas has a bit more freedom as he works from home.
And, I just have to quote pearlwind here when he said this about the difficult puzzle caches: "If we can't find them then we can't vote for them!"

marmi
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

We like this suggestion - a good friend of ours that resembles a creature with a stripe down his back mentioned once to have an "academy award" caching idea - I think this is better.. the word "blitz" almost can make you think of a quick moving force - that could be for the placement. But for awards it would be nice to have time to visit more of them. with 235 placed - and how many of us get a chance to do 235 cache in a month? and if you're trying to place and visit them to vote?

I agree with the suggestion.. and perhaps we can enter a particular "category" of what we are aiming for?

I know some nonsensical idea's...
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

**giggle** @ a friend with a stipe down his back. Good thing she didn't say a yellow stripe.

The new board of directors is just setting up shop at this point in time but we will be taking all suggestions into account. And yes, I will have a proposal that will radically change the way the Blitz is run. But we will have to talk it over as a group and exchange ideas before I can say anything in public.
curnew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Just a note and something that we want to suggest. Making every CO specify which category(s) they want to be entered in. That way, a cache that has no view, doesn't win the "view" category.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Why vote at all? Why not just say anybody participating by creating a cache will be added to a Draw? One Entry. Have like 50 Good Rewards, maybe a participation Pin/Coin for everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Why vote at all? Why not just say anybody participating by creating a cache will be added to a Draw? One Entry. Have like 50 Good Rewards, maybe a participation Pin/Coin for everybody.

I will say that voting does help some people make some really good caches, but that when voting gets too complex, then people just won't do it.
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I like the academy of awards idea.

Like Top Caches of category ___ for 2009.
Geocaches submitted from a certain time period are eligible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I love the Academy awards idea that Scruff was talking about. We have 13,000+ caches in BC at present. One of the original ideas behind the blitz was to help populate the province with quality caches... There are tons of caches being hidden now throughout the year. A format that recognizes people's efforts throughout the year and encourages spectacular caches is a really good idea (IMHO)
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Last year we had seven regions, nine categories per region plus an overall winner per region. That meant 70 winners...(70 prizes). I would like to see less categories and opt for the fewer, more quality caches...
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

As someone who chooses not to participate in the Blitz I am interested in how many separate cachers actually hid caches during last years Blitz?

How many participated in the Photo contests? Are they the same people who participate in the Blitz?

How many different cachers came out and supported the Geocaching 101 events? Are they the same people who participate in the Blitz?

I suppose I could ask about attendance at the AGM but would that be overkill?

If the answers are the "same people" - I suppose the question is then - how does the BCGA get more "new" people to join in and is the "same old, same old" the way to continue?
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

HwyGuy, many people join the BCGA yearly. I don't have figures but I have had the fax machine that people used to join the BCGA 8' from my desk for the past year and it spits out new membership applications regularly. I also see new people participating in the Blitz on the island. Each year there are coins that have a finish for members only - this is venture is only 3 years in so it's still newish.

The year that I recruited people to hide GeoRush caches I approached people around the province, based on set criteria, and asked they'd be willing to hide some GeoRush caches in their area. All but one replied and accepted! If they weren't on the member list I told them they needeed to be members' to participate! They all signed up! Sneaky, eh?

Last edited by Mrs_Landsharkz on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julebear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I think if you choose to read the logs at the various events, caches and AGM, you will see that both sets of people - oldies and newbies - go to those events, etc. I'm not sure what the membership was last Nov 2008, but I'd bet it has increased, and some of those people have ventured out. That would be what Traincacher and I did the previous November. We haven't done any caches, Blitz or otherwise, as we didn't want to "find 3 and decide to put out our own". Maybe now we will. I wanted to enter my photo, but couldn't figure out how to load the pic. Some people just want to geocache; some want to geocache and socialize. Some people really look forward to setting caches out during the Blitz. Some don't. It takes all kinds.
We just look forward to a decently sized cache container placed in a spot we would want to travel to, rather than a parking lot cache or a cache in a vacant lot, surrounded by garbage and other debris. We're not smart enough, I guess, to figure out the puzzle caches and so ignore those ones, too.
We're just out for a good time. Call us "shallow", but that's the way it is with us.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Lets keep on topic...... Cache Blitz 2010

Not BCGA membership, new membership is great and the blitz was not created to get new members. Geocaching will grow by word of mouth and run ins with muggles and so on.

The blitz was to get cachers out and hide and find caches in the spring when the weather is starting to get better. That what I think it was about.

I as well is other in the Valley, look at the event as one of the best times.
This year a little joke was played out before the blitz got under way. I myself had my phone on and was ready to go at the first ring, as well I end up having the day off but thought if not I would have taken it off..
Others came out from the Wack area and stay out all night waiting around coffee shops for the blitz caches to be released. And that was just day one.
Great caches were published this year and pass years...and hope this continues.......
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

gearhedd wrote:
Lets keep on topic...... Cache Blitz 2010

In my mind (don't go there!), the last 3 responses all addressed the Blitz in one way shape or form.

Membership (new or old) participation in the Blitz is relevant I think to this year's planning, especially if it looks like a large percentage of Blitz participants are the 'oldtimers' and not many 'newbies'. It's all about making it work for the majority of members and being 'inviting' and 'all-encompassing'. Maybe it needs longer time to vote, shorter time to hide, different prize categories, or a shake-up all together.

No disrespect intended, but I think everyone was on topic. A little 'aside' in amongst 'on topic' should be fine in a discussion.

The Blitz Launch events were a great idea btw. It generated more interest over here on the island.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Just some stats for Hwy Guy.

2007 Blitz
Caches 160 Votes 673 Voters 73

2008 Blitz
Caches 228 Votes 586 Voters 93

2009 Blitz
Caches 281 Votes 920 Voters 156

As you can see the cache placements get bigger every year. I believe the first year the BCGA was happy with 45 cache placements.

Unfortunately, I don't see stats for individual geocachers. It is usual that one or two will place around five caches. Many more will place three. Most people place only one cache. If anyone is interested, there must be bookmarks of all geocaches placed for the Blitz. Someone would have to manually go through all 281 caches and see who placed them.

Although the BCGA cares deeply about its members, the BCGA is here to provide resources for all BC geocachers. For that reason, the Blitz has been open to everyone in order to try to get new and seasoned geocachers involved in the community. It's just gravy if the BCGA can get memberships through the Blitz.

There will be definite changes this year. The Board of Directors are currently discussing how we can improve the experience for everyone while making sure that all communities across the province can be 100% involved.

The Blitz has grown to a province wide extravaganza and it would be nice if the Awards ceremony truly appreciated the best hides of the year. There are some amazing geocachers across the province that truly think out their hides. Those are the people that should be acknowledged.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

The point I was attempting to make (poorly it seems) is that "if the same people are doing each of the activities that the BCGA is supporting then we need to figure how to get more people involved.

I don't for an instant think that there is not an increase in membership each year. You see new names all the time. I would also imagine that there are a few dropouts each year. What needs to be changed, increased, decreased, stopped etc to reduce the number leaving and increase the participation?

Or is the current members happy with what they are seeing and participating in and just want the status quo?

I am not making judgements about how exciting it is to wait somewhere for a cache to be posted or to not bother with worrying about new caches or somewhere in between. The topic was Cache Blitz 2010 and whether changes need to be made. To know the answer to that I feel the BCGA needs to look at who or how many benefit from the event in its current form and who or how many may benefit from a changed format.

Someone else made the comment that they could not possibly visit more than a few of the caches in a month. I agree with that as I do not plan to go and do JUST Blitz caches if I go out. I have found a few in the time frame - but why would I vote for the one in a specific category if it is the only one I managed to visit? That is not fair to anyone.

If people are winning with just a handful of votes - what is the point? Let's actually reward for good caches if that is truly what the Blitz is to be about.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

HwyGuy wrote:

Someone else made the comment that they could not possibly visit more than a few of the caches in a month. I agree with that as I do not plan to go and do JUST Blitz caches if I go out. I have found a few in the time frame - but why would I vote for the one in a specific category if it is the only one I managed to visit? That is not fair to anyone.

If people are winning with just a handful of votes - what is the point? Let's actually reward for good caches if that is truly what the Blitz is to be about.
I think that is pretty common actually - I don't really feel qualified to vote when we've only had time to find a few of the Blitz caches. I have very likely missed the amazing cache that is 10 miles out of town, down a logging road and a long hike into the boonies because we weren't out that way before the voting ended. We tend to do those types of caches on group hikes which we manage to get out on a few times a year.

Typically I don't vote on all the Blitz caches we find because I have only found a handful and it just doesn't seem right or fair to someone who may have a fabulous cache that we haven't seen yet. Why should the easier to access mediocre cache get all the votes? I vote on ones that are stellar though. Is the moral to the story - don't hide amazing caches where few people will see them?

Ok, thoughts for 2010 if the idea of voting continues:
A cache should have a minimum of votes before it can be considered for a prize. I think we've seen caches win with 4 votes. For the system to work and to get an accurate rating, you need lots of votes.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

In the future, the BCGA is going to try to target everyone. Of course there will always be weather concerns. People in the north tend to hibernate in the winter which makes the caching season much shorter. But it would be nice to have contests all year around too. The BCGA will be launching a contest shortly. It will be a perpetual contest so everyone will eventually have a chance to get involved.

When it comes to the Blitz, the timing hasn't been best for people in snowier regions. Voting has been problematic. Not everyone votes and many good caches are left out due to terrain or the difficulty with the puzzle.

The original idea was to populate the province with geocaches. But that is not the primary concern these days. I believe the BCGA should be rewarding the best geocaches placed throughout the year, not the best caches thrown together in six weeks.

Yes, if the Blitz is expanded it could really no longer be called a Blitz. But like everything else, the Blitz has to evolve to accommodate British Columbia's ever-changing geocaching demographic.
Bestred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

To be honest...I am tired of seeing the same people win year after year...but it was nice to see new people win this year, but not many people have joined the BCGA in the Valley that I know of that I can see doing the Blitz and right now one of the people I was excited seeing participate this upcoming year is now on the board.

I would like to see things a bit different this year. Not sure exactly, have to think on it a bit Smile I will get back to ya Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

On another track, I found that one month doesn't work for puzzle caches. The easy puzzles get done, but the more clever ones take more time for people to figure out. I think we need more time to figure them out and then vote. Similarly, caches to hiking points take more time for cachers to get to, again needing more time. I recommend two months from start to finish.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

One point to make is some cachers plan caches for this event longer then a month or two before the blitz. Like me... lol This year I already have a couple of great ideas. Last year I was not rewarded for anything but years past I have been. My point is and I think I speek for a few of us that the prizes are great but the acknowledgment that our cache was great far out weighs a prize.

Last years blitz had Curnew, Teddy2k and Geocanuck77 who were fairly new as this would have been their first blitz. I know they all have a large hide/found base. So I wouldn't say there wasn't new cachers involved. And these three put out great caches.

So even if this event does get more cachers involved or sign up for the BCGA, how could over 100 good if not some great caches hurt the geocaching community. Which at some point help the growth of the BCGA.

JUST A NOTE.. I saw this cacher in the US that has over 2200 hides.. WOW! a little free time on his hands maybe. lol
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I like the 1 - 10 ranking and maybe voting for an additional 2 weeks but not 2 months. Its about getting people out caching, I like the shorter time cause that should get them out sooner than later. People should be looking forward to the blitz as I was and am this year, some really cool caches got put out. Maybe limit how many caches you can enter into the blitz this year? Would also be nice to see a category for best "series". Like gearhedd I have many ideas already for the blitz next year and can't wait to start working on them.
Bestred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Don't forget grafinator Gearhead...:P

I agree...certain amount of caches per person this year, as almost every cache a person puts out could be a B10 Cache and seriously it can be mind boggling, and a put off for some.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

I personally enjoy the cache Blitz and look forward to participating each year. I support having no micros allowed.
As for the length, I like having the hiding 1 month long then add couple weeks for voting have the blitz last the Month of May and have voting till mid June with events shortly there after.
Prizes, I like High Maintenance's idea of the certificates maybe have them smaller?
In Prince George we handed out all the certificates first. then called up the overall winner to pick a prize from the prize table, then each of the category winners came and picked 1 prize. the rest were given as door prizes this avoided one person walking away with all the prizes.

I look forward to what the new exec's come up with for this year.
Bestred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Blitz - 2010 Reply with quote

Since the BCGA puts on the Blitz...I didn't know that they could participate.

Isn't this something just for the members?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 2