CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» How important is Swag to you
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» General Caching —» General —» How important is Swag to you
toplefttopfilltopright
How important is Swag to you
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Just a general question -

If you knew that there was no FTF Prize and the cache contained no Swag or trading items would you still go for it?

Jordy & I no longer place any swag in any cache we place for numerous reasons. Which I will explain after my poll
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I don't put FTF stuff in caches. I don't chase caches for FTF prizes, though If I get a dozen donuts and a coffee, that's a bonus. I'll take it if offered, but it is not the reason I would go after an FTF (which I don't do usually bother with, unless it is really close to where I am). I try to go by the Mantra 'It is always an FTF for me'.. the first time I found it. Smile

Pretty much the only time I trade, is if my girls are with me and they see something 'pretty' .

More often than not, I keep a bag of goodies (i.e. my piggy LED lights) and just give them to people at events and on the trail.

If I have some stuff my kids no longer want, or have outgrown I'll collect it up and throw it in a cache. I figure the trading is really for kids anyways, so that is mostly what you'd find in one of my caches.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Thank you CB -

And if you go find a micro - you expect no FTF to prize, or even swag to trade.

Over the summer we noticed a few of the logs that we received noted that it was such a pity to waste all that space in the AMMO can with no Swag - the owners should come restock them. Funny thing is that the cachers never realized that the caches never contained any Swag in the first place. Yes they were the big Ammo cans - but being that they are being placed in the middle of no where - we opted to place a nice big ammo can instead of a micro or a plastic lock and lock that might happen to remember "smells" of those that touched them (ie fish) and decide they are food. So since we don't want to leave swag to trade that might attract animals - or someone trading for items and leaving scented items behind - should we resort to a micro that you can destroy the stump looking for?

I see the threads on here about swag deterioration and concerns about restocking, and other threads in the past about liking shiny things in caches. Is Swag really a motivator? Sure if they contain prizes - like $1000 or a really hard cache that contains 3 coins and other swag. But caching is evolving - old school cachers mention how all the swag is "McC***" now and don't leave it in my cache. Newer cachers want the swag and the rule is trade up or trade equal - except those specifically designated for the FTF.

So why do you cache? is it for the journey? the friends, the memories? the sights? For the excitement?

Do we need to put in big bold letters on our cache pages that it contains no swag? We've simply used a large container to protect the environmnet it is in?
Doonchak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

When we first started out, we often traded for items in caches...more for the novelty of it then for any other reason.

That has mainly worn off, but from time to time we find something that we think is cool, and I carry around some new OakCoins Pins at all times incase we do see something we would like to trade for.

I am a collector, so I do enjoy collectable swag in caches (Pins, Coins, Tag, etc) but it isn't the reason why we cache. I love finding trackables in caches too...specially coins...I do like seeing new shinies Touque

On the FTF side of things, I so rarely get a shot at a FTF (someone called Huggysomethingorother Smack seems to get to them all in our area) that a FTF prize is never really a motivator for trying for one. That being said, I have enjoyed finding the FTF prizes we have received...none of which have been anything more then collectable items to commemorate the experience. Pins, certificates, small plastic trophies, coins and the like are the types of prizes I like the most...so I can display them proudly eventually in our geo-display-area. (I am sure Chak will be thrilled with this...heh). It's just a nice keepsake. Granted, if I had 50+ FTFs then I can imagine the thrill would wear off fairly quickly.

All in all, we cache for the experience, exercise, thirll of the find, etc...not for the swag...HOWEVER...knowing that there is a geocoin prize waiting for me if I get off my butt to go get it is a motivating factor to get out there for sure.
Stampcoin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I go for FTF's and caches just because they are there, and the hunt is always so much fun. (or at least it is generally. Wait till you end up stuck in the swamp... or some mosquito infested area)

I carry trade items on me, if the random item of interest is found in a cache. That and since i collect pennies, i will exchange them for dimes or quarters when i find in caches.

So, no swag isn't really what i go for. I have many younger siblings that always go for it though. They love goingcaching just for the trading, nothing else.
Xtremeskier1978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I have never been emotionally devastated when I find a cache and discover that it contains little or no SWAG. The only thing that matters to me, in any given cache, is whether or not there is a log book inside. To tell the truth, if I could think of the ultimate SWAG item and name it, I would hope for a cache full of working pens!!! I do enjoy finding unactivated coins (but never expect them). I enjoy finding trackables and moving them on. I also enjoy FTF prizes but they are not my motivation for logging FTF's.

I cache for a number of reasons but the core ones involve making new friends, seeing places that I've never been to, getting off the couch and being a part of this community. The number one reason, however, is the great times my children have when we cache together. Priceless.

Event caches and FTF's are awesome, not because of prizes or SWAG, but more for the social gathering of fellow cachers. The Geo-Conventions at trailside are awesome and allow us to trade ideas, get some help on caches that are stumping us and to interact face-to-face rather than through the internet and emails.

These are the things I value in geocaching...certainly not those that are labeled as SWAG. However, this log is not to take away from the thought and time cachers invest to placing these items in their caches as I know there is a significant tangent of folks that do enjoy trading.
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Swag is not very important to me. But I have to admit that over time I have seen things in geocaches that I really liked. And so, I can't say I ignore swag altogether. It's part of the geocaching experience.

When I hide a group of caches as part of an event or a series, I avoid placing swag in all but the final cache. But when I place an individual cache I like to include swag. Just because swag is not on top of my list doesn't mean that other people don't like it. After all, it is a treasure hunt just as much as anything else. So over time I try to do something for everyone when I place caches.

There have been times where I've seen something in a cache (especially Expo86 stuff) but I had nothing to trade -- hence, I couldn't take it. So I've recently started hauling a few quality trade items with me.
avrilkira

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

When Gnarled Stump and I go out caching i think that it started out as "for the thrill of the find". The swag is mostly unimportant to us. I feel that over the summer we came to the point where we enjoyed finding the cache that "got us out there". We have had experiences on the Island, Osoyoos, Princeton, Coalmont, and Tulameen that I can't honestly say we would have had if it were not for caching. We have enjoyed the caches that taught us some of the history for the area we were visiting, as well as some of the history of BC. We also have really enjoyed the cache experiences such as the one we had that took us on a hike to Spirit Caves, in Yale, and then into the caves - we both agreed that we would have enjoyed the experience just as much even if it had been a DNF.

The only time "swag" seems to be something that we are affected by these days is when the girls are with us and they want to "trade". This actually isn't something that happens very often (and for that I'm glad). And of course we do move along and swap coins and TB's - but even there it can be a discouraging experience as we all know when the coin or TB vanishes.

Just my thoughts, and I agree with your decision to use the ammo cans, and to not stuff them full of swag, especially in the areas where we have seen your caches. To me, the Turtles caches have been about getting us "out there" and showing us more of Beautiful BC, and I for one am glad to have had that experience. Very Happy
savant9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Swag is completely unimportant to me. I dont even look at whats in there most of the time. I bring no trade items with me unless my girls happen to come with me, then I tell them to bring something with them before they leave the house. I will pass on FTF prizes as well, however I usually include a FTF prize as well as a bunch of swag if the container can fit it when placing a cache.
For me its about the journey, not the destination. I enjoy the photos I take along the way, more so than any prize I may find in the cache.
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

We're not interested in swag for the most part as the novelty wore off after a few hundred finds, and particularly when our kids became less interested in caching with us. However, if I go out at 2 a.m., find a cache before anyone, and it happens to have a $5 Tim Horton's gift certificate for the FTF, I am thrilled. The frenzy of the hunt is still the real thrill, but somehow getting coffee and a nutritious donut for my efforts is a bonus.

If the cache page explicitly states that there is an FTF prize, I don't feel compelled to leave something in its place. In my opinion, that's not the idea - "prizes" are prizes, and "swag" is swag.

When we do trade, we always try and place something that would have value to others - not just to get rid of some junk we have lying around.

Mr. Huggy.
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I myself am not interested in the swag however I really like the coins and pins. I always carry my own swag just to trade for a new pin (which I collect) and I always trade a coin for a coin (my swag is usually Landsharkz items).

We happen to have a geocache extremely near to our kitchen window and we have observed numerous cachers finding our cache. A great many of them have kids in tow. The kids spend a great deal of time going thru the cache container and trading trinkets. For this reason I always load up the cache with neat 'stuff' and do the same with my other caches.

Any time you can get kids and family together, outdoors, enjoying geocaching is a wonderful thing. If swag can excite the kids to want to go geocaching then all the more reason to put out the swag!
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies, they have been interesting to read and happy to know that we are not the only ones who cache for the fun and adventure. We like finding the TB's and coins stashed away and the kids, when we can get them out, used to like trading - but they are past that now.

As we sit here and contemplate next years event and look at the past year (going back to georush, gold rush, the shuswap program & bluesky) the focus of them seemed to be about the coins and trading swag in them. Or so our interpretation of reading the boards and hearing what people talked about when talking about those events/caches. Do this & you get a coin, or get their first and you get a pin - not about the adventures and the sights people saw.

We were starting to get worried that people that weren't there in May for the Coal Rush might be expecting caches filled with coins & swag and other items. We did not want them to be disapointed in what they might find in them. But I see we worried for naught, as those are nice to haves but not necessaries.

We will be putting the caches together this winter for next year, and will lilkely put some trade items (the turtle kidlets left over toys) in the ones that kids likely will visit - but for those in the middle of no where - or in an area that could be endangered by animals should someone leave something they shouldn't (such as in a structure) we will ensure they are left free of trading items.

Perhaps we can find a balance there - again thank you all for your opinions!
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Judging by the comments on this thread, swag isn't high on everyone's priority list. But how interested would you be if there was great swag in the caches? I'm not talking gold and diamonds. Just really interesting stuff. I ask this because I won an ammo can filled with really fun stuff at a BCGA event a few years ago and I got a lot of comments on the swag when people found the cache.

Last edited by scruffster on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
Swag is not very important to me. But I have to admit that over time I have seen things in geocaches that I really liked. And so, I can't say I ignore swag altogether. It's part of the geocaching experience.

When I hide a group of caches as part of an event or a series, I avoid placing swag in all but the final cache. But when I place an individual cache I like to include swag. Just because swag is not on top of my list doesn't mean that other people don't like it. After all, it is a treasure hunt just as much as anything else. So over time I try to do something for everyone when I place caches.

There have been times where I've seen something in a cache (especially Expo86 stuff) but I had nothing to trade -- hence, I couldn't take it. So I've recently started hauling a few quality trade items with me.

Hear, hear!...
It is a treasure hunt and has been since the first can of beans was hidden. Would Dave Ulmer had such success if he'd hidden an empty container and posted the coordinates?

We always pack along a selection of swag in case we come across an Expo 86 pin (it happened!) and want to take it. I have a cool 'personal' rubber chicken on my desk that came from a cache and a sweet selection of polished rocks that end up in the fountain in the office Treasure .

Lots of time we TNLN, but families with children rarely do. If I'm caching with kids along I always have some extra swag so they can trade if they want to. After all, how many kids are hyped to go hunt empty containers?

We were so glad to see ammo cans for the Gold n' Coal caches - they are way easier on the environment than hunting a teeny micro in the bush. We visited Tulameen before the big launch and when we found the first ammo can was empty, we thought you hadn't come round to stock them yet. Then we read a note on a cache listing and realize they were empty on purpose so we started leaving swag in them for the finders the following weekend. I hope that was ok, but we mainly thought of the kids and knew that opening an empty ammo can may not be exciting to little ones.

I think a lot of people left swag from the Gold Country launch events in those caches - they started out empty too I think.

Those and the Gold Country ones are some of the best caching we've done in a while in such a condensed area Trophy .
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

SWAG is generally of zero importance to us as finders. Like all generalities, there are two exceptions for us; the first being when our daughter is caching with us (she's 6) & if there's something that catches her eye, we'll trade for it. The second exception is for the occasional pin which we'll occasionally trade for as well.

We also carry a small bag of stuff with us & will contribute stuff to caches that are in good shape but pretty much devoid of any decent swag.

When we hide caches, we usually try to set them up with some decent stuff in them initially. And, not usually with any special items for the FTFers.

Does the presence of any special prizes or swag affect whether i'll get out of bed in the middle of the night to go looking for an FTF? Not one bit. The cache could be empty. The lure is an empty log book, getting to see the hide as it was intended, the lack of a geotrail and the high liklihood of running into some of the fellow cachers.
cartguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

For the most part we TNLNSL. at most caches unless there is an interesting TB or coin possibly a pin But if we take somthing we always leave somthing even if we take a TB we like to leave a TB or coin and we carry pins with us for trade as well.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

As we discuss this I would like to make sure that people understand the location of these caches is not your average city park.

These are caches that have been placed in locals where bear spray is something you should be carrying, from what we know right now the caches that have had 50-60 finds have been visited by 2-3 cachers with children.

In the area 2 locations (none of ours) have been destroyed by animals that have smelled items that are in the caches that should not have been.

We are not debating that the majority of caches should contain trading items, but we are looking at our environmental responsibility in the areas and trying to find a delicate balance to meet the needs of cachers and the needs of the locations we have placed the caches.

In my mind - anyone who hiked into Lover's Leap and felt disapointed, even kids, that there was no swag has a few screw's loose.. lol but to each their own. cuz then they'd have to be carrying Swag with them in and out and to trade and who would want that extra baggage on that hike!!

The caches were left empty to protect the area, and as we regularly check the caches we do remove anything that might hold a scent that has been left. Ones in areas such as the precious trestles and homes that still stand - we are especially protective of. I know for those that are not from these areas that it is a bit harder to fathom - but knowing that a grizley has been sighted on that KVR not far from one of the caches further cements why are wanting to find a balance.

I'm sure that most will agree with that - so again I ask if it would be a good balance if we were to leave swag in caches that don't endanger things and are likely to be visited by kids - but those that take a modified 4x4 or are in structures to leave those empty?

I do like Scruff's idea of "what is interesting swag" - as I don't think it falls into the swag that can be found here, and we can't leave Scruff's Swag in the cache - below is a link to free Swag that we find in most caches:

Free Swag!

So for the Copper Rush Caches - for those we leave interesting swag in - what would you like to find? KVR spikes? Arrowheads? fossils?

Idea's please we have a few months
grafinator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I ain't interested in swag, unless it's Star Wars of course.

The only thing I collect nowadays is personal tokens and pins. I used to trade for the odd item but I quickly had a pile of stuff I had no idea what to do with. That pile then was put into other caches I hid.

To me, an FTF is not about prizes or swag, it's about sending off that text message when I beat out some of the other locals that have their advanced warning with those blackberry doohickeys. Just kidding, sorta.

But I also will agree a FTF prize is definitely an added bonus especially for a tricky puzzle or final to a hard series.

But to me, as cheesey as it sounds, the prize is getting outside and finding a new spot to visit, and an amazing view.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Tulameen_Turtles wrote:

Free Swag!

The problem with stuff like that, is t one of those is often traded for a $2-$5 personal pin, or even a $8 coin.

That whole pile of stuff is worth only $2. The old Trade Up problem.

Trade a McToy for a different McToy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

In almost two years of caching, my pin collection went from 12 to about 300-400, so yes, I do enjoy certain "swag" items. Siggys and coins are up there in the cool factor. And it does make a big difference for the kids - they tire of micros in about 7 seconds, and enjoy rifling through the larger caches.

The biggest rush is still the find, especially after a long walk and search.

A cache full of doggy doo will always be disappointing, if only becuase it is essentially a sealed trash bin with posted co-ords.
skeenaside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I love the NO, but... responses. I have less than 50 caches under my belt so my opinion may change as time goes on, but I've found that I like the traditional caches with swag in them. There are a number of families with young children caching in our area and I always think of them when trading items. I try to carry interesting (as per the "NO, But's" this is obviously a relative term) swag, and have dumped in extra stuff when the pickings are slim, and thought about pulling out the junky stuff (disintegrating paper, rusty pipe cleaners, etc). I have found a couple of caches recently that use re-purposed peanut butter jars and am waiting to see the results of those through the fall. They will definitely be an attractant in and of themselves to wildlife. Treasure
Technic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I don't cache for the swag of it, nor the FTF prize. I don't think Dave Ulmer's famous COB was the lure either, since it was not taken by the FTF cacher. I'm in it for the journey, not the destination, although sometimes the destination is what the owner might have intended in some cases.
PEARLWIND

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I want to send a shout out to "Chico & the Mrs". They send out good swag in little sealed bags. I picked up a wooden wind chime among others, and use them as stocking stuffers. I think I like SWAG more than the kids!
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

PEARLWIND wrote:
I want to send a shout out to "Chico & the Mrs". They send out good swag in little sealed bags. I picked up a wooden wind chime among others, and use them as stocking stuffers. I think I like SWAG more than the kids!

Ditto that - even as hardened, "who cares about the junk inside" cachers, we both still say, "hey, chico and the Mrs. left something" when we find their little goodie bags.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Too bad how Swag is handled has changed. The cache page used to state what swag a cache started with and folk both logged their Left and Took in the log book and then on their online log. You could track the changes and since folk were trading evenly or up a bit better than now it was nice to see who left that swag you coveted. lol
The novelty wears off but I carry swag from $ store items to $10-$15. items 'just in case'. It sure is a shame to actually find an item and not have a worthy trade item on me. But if my swag bag isn't on me then c'est la vie, no trade for me. The rare trades I do are memories for me of a particular cache/caching day.
And sometimes simply leave an item(s) and take nothing.
It is disappointing when people leave dirty/broken items and take brand new items as trade. I really shake my head at those who Take and then Leave .25 cents. Hardly even the tax on dollar store items, lol
I've learned to be careful what I clean out of my caches. My idea of junk may be someone else's Eureka. lol
So no, swag isn't important but it is nice to have caches with swag for the children. My inner child doesn't mather about it. I'm De-lighted with the cache!
As for FTF prize it varies but usually I'd prefer someone to Choose out of all the swag but not be obligated to Trade. That way they can Take what they'd really enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

gotta love it......or hate it SWAG DOES MATTER!! I've been watching this for a while. It is a great forum thread!!
Kids & grownups love treasure hunts......and if there is something really special to be scored, I challenge ANY adult to deny they would not take something they perceived as a treasure......
The inner child in me has a lot of fun taking an geo-allowance to the $ store and other interesting places to shop for things to put in caches or into the cache inventory if I want to trade.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
gotta love it......or hate it SWAG DOES MATTER!! I've been watching this for a while. It is a great forum thread!!
Kids & grownups love treasure hunts......and if there is something really special to be scored, I challenge ANY adult to deny they would not take something they perceived as a treasure......
The inner child in me has a lot of fun taking an geo-allowance to the $ store and other interesting places to shop for things to put in caches or into the cache inventory if I want to trade.

I accept your challenge - I found a SD card reader in a cache in Victoria, and left it becuase I couldn't trade fairly. It was tough to walk away from that one!

SWAG is fun, but not the main reason we look. The adventure is the best part.
CASM327

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I wonder if that was the reader I left in a cache.

As for FTF prizes... I love the chase of a FTF and I have no expectation for a prize but if one is available then I will gladly take it.

But I am curious to know the actual purpose of your poll and what you are planning on doing with the data.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply - we already noted a lot of why in earlier posts -

We are planning our event for next year "The great copper rush", and with placing 50-75 new caches for it that will be listed on the day of the event - and no "provincial funding of $20,000 or $100,000" we have to be sure to focus our funds where they will best be appreciated.

With all the last couple of caching things like Blue Skies, Gold Rush & the new Shushawp programs people seem to be talking a lot more about the coins then the memories on the forums here - so we were worried that people coming to our event next year may be disapointed that there is no swag in the caches we're placing. But we've realized that it is great if it's there - but it's not the reason why.

As they will contain - Ammo Box, log book & pen - and whatever to collect for the event to mark they were there.

(And Great Photo Opportunities & historical memories)
SOLONM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

sounds grand to me!! Kind of like what geocaching is supposed to be about!!
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
sounds grand to me!! Kind of like what geocaching is supposed to be about!!

Well, the first geocache was hidden in an obscure place, with no real view that I've heard of (maybe there is, I'll have to see for myself someday) , and consisted of a whole 5 gallon bucket of cool stuff, so I wouldn't say that no swag at all is indicative of what geocaching is supposed to be about. Just saying.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

An ammo can, log book and pen are the basic requirements but as DIOS has reiterated the swag has been there since the beginning of Geo-Time.

1. Have you thought about asking for donations or corporate sponsorship for some some bear friendly swag for family friendly caches in your event? That would cover the bases for those who TNLN and those who 'Trade Fairly' and you would not be out of pocket. I know there are two local companies who supply geo-swag that often donate items in exchange for sponsorship recognition or a card saying that it's donated/provided by them in support of the event.

2. You're saying that you're leaving swag out of some of them because of the bears, but are you also including a large clear note in the ammo can and on the cache listing telling finders NOT to leave any swag because it may attract bears? I know we didn't see anything like that when we visited the Coal Rush caches and so we left them better stocked than we found them!

3. Are any of your caches going to be in BC Parks? We have a box of BC Parks 'swag' (not related to the previous two contracts) that we could share for caches that are in BC Parks. It was given to us years ago but we'd be happy to share some and help promote BC Parks a bit farther than our travels extend.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts Helen -

1. We did learn from last year, so no - last year there were no notes, but this year they will be included. We have a "dream team" helping us with the event this year and there will be a wine party to do all the set up, we are trying to do personalized log books with details on the location for each one - so that way when a person gets to the event they can open up on the log book and read more about it. The cache pages themselves will read this too so there will be disapointements or false expectations.

2. There will be none in BCParks at this time, however that could be subject to change depending on the final layout. We are basically following the government guidelines for national park caches.

3. For Corporate Donations, we had originally investigated that opportunity last year. We started out with plans to include it for the Coal Rush, however stopped offering Corporate Sponsorships partway through the planning for many many reasons. We are again opting not to do this, but instead offer "official suppliers", which will include any companies that we buy items from. These companies are chosen from those that we speak to that can offer items at wholesale and other qualifications.

If anyone would like to discuss this personally & in more detail they can start a thread on our website, but the BCGA website is not the place for it.

4. We could stock them with bear friendly swag, but their is no guarantee that those that trade will leave the same. The caches within the city will have swag & those left by other cachers that are being included will as well.

Yes Swag has been their since the beginning of time, but caching is a changing sport. We have seen that over the past few years with mulitple areas. Every cacher has the ability to play the game that they feel best suits them, that includes in the way that they place and claim their caches as long as they fall within the geocache.com guidelines, currently they have no guidelines regarding the "swag" element.

If someone has items they would like to simply donate to place in the caches that will have items (those not at risk) that are more then mcdonalds toys and have no coporate logo's please let us know - we'd love to find some interesting items to leave in those that we can - like KVR spikes , arrowheads! Otherwise those that will be filled as we clean house will get some cassette tapes, candle holders, cd player & whatever else is in there from the move 3 years ago.

This event is sponsored by the caching community for the caching community, as a footnote for those that were not there last year - each cacher that attends does walk away with items that designed to help them remember it - including pins, a book & CD with stories and music surrounding the event..

Again Helen, thank you fro bringing this up - all very valid points.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Thanks Tulameen_Turtles, this is a really interesting question.

My name is marmi and I am a Swagaholic. LOL I drive tas right nuts with all the swag I make(magnetic monkeys), collect at various Thrift Stores...or am given by relatives and friends. My swag hoard is impressive and causes my sling pack to bulge oddly.
Swag is such fun! Most of my swag tends to be child oriented. I know my Grandson's and Grand Niece's eyes just light up when they spot something neat in a cache and have seen other children's delight when they score some goodies. Good swag, in my opinion, initially gets kids interested in the sport.
And then they are hooked...heheheh.

Now, after saying that...I seldom take swag from a cache, but when I do, lots goes back into that cache. I always trade up by leaving good stuff. No cheap Mc whatever items.

Swag is not why we cache. We love the adventure, the exercise and meeting such great people!

I love finding unique items to place as FTF prizes in our own caches. That's what Swagaholics do...we're wired that way!
And...sometimes I find neat things to trade with other cachers!
To be really honest, collecting swag gives me the best excuse to frequent Thrift stores without feeling a twinge of guilt!
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I cache with a 4 year old. Swag is ABSOLUTELY a huge part of the geocaching fun for us. Not that we take much (Jr Fish has so much more cool stuff at home) but just because it is there to look at and touch. I can't imagine geocaching being any fun for a kid if it were just a plastic box.

I've gotten some cool things from caches, and left some cool things also.

I have been saddened by the great stuff I've left in my own caches being reduced to Mc doggy doo quickly, but still, I am glad I at least put out quality in the first place.

So put my strongly in the swag is important camp, please. Beanie
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

It's interesting the number of parents who are saying they aren't into the swag, BUT if their kids are along they always make sure to bring their bag of trade items in case someone in their group finds a special treasure that they just have to trade for. It's hard to say if they're 'for' or 'against'? I guess they're neutral since they're on both sides of the fence depending on who they're caching with.

Out of curiosity, I've done a rough tally and found:

FOR: 14
Really Against: 2
Neutral: 5

I think I put a quasi-neutral response in the 'for' column because they seem to cache with kids a lot and DIOS got only one 'for' vote Jester .

I guess it's time to go check on our caches and make sure they're well stocked (and dry)!
landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

I'm "for"... I don't always trade, but I like to look through a cache and see what's there. And I love a good FTF prize. I'm for "good swag" I hate trash, but I do trade occasionally. I like to preach... "hide a cache sized suitable for the area" (but perhaps that's for another thread Smile ) but it usually means there should be room for swag, and if its good swag why not!

(15 "For's" now)
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
It's interesting the number of parents who are saying they aren't into the swag, BUT if their kids are along they always make sure to bring their bag of trade items in case someone in their group finds a special treasure that they just have to trade for. It's hard to say if they're 'for' or 'against'? I guess they're neutral since they're on both sides of the fence depending on who they're caching with.

Out of curiosity, I've done a rough tally and found:

FOR: 14
Really Against: 2
Neutral: 5

I think I put a quasi-neutral response in the 'for' column because they seem to cache with kids a lot and DIOS got only one 'for' vote Jester .

I guess it's time to go check on our caches and make sure they're well stocked (and dry)!

Don't tell anyone, but I use the kids as a front so that I can look for tupperware ands ammo cans full of cool stuff.
VE7RJT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: How important is Swag to you Reply with quote

Having quite literally been participating in caching for less than two weeks, I can honestly say that the swag wasn't what I was after.

Now, admittedly of the four caches I've found, only my first contained swag of any type (the others were micros). But I was just so happy to find the thing, I just signed the log with a big smile on my face and moved on.

Will it make a difference if I take my kids along for a hunt? Maybe, but I haven't gotten to that point yet, so I don't really know.

What I *do* know, though, is that it makes no difference to me whether or not the cache contains swag, or even if I'm the FTF. I'm really interested in the experience, and the fun of actually finding the cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1