CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Adoption
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Atlin Lake
Atlin Lake:  [?] . Snow Caves of Atlin Lake [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Cache Adoption
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache Adoption
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Many caches these days have become abandoned by their owners. So I want to adopt them, because I will actually take care of them. My problem is... how do you adopt a cache?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

The existing owner has to send you an adoption request. Here's a link to the process. Adopting a cache

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Thanks, now I just need the guy to actually visit the website and log it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

I wanted to adopt an abandoned cache last year. Mountainman said they no longer do forced cache adoptions, the owner had to permit it...makes it harder when the owner is no longer caching. He said if I wanted to maintain the cache on my own, that was ok, I just couldn't adopt it without the owner's permission.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the cache I'm trying to adopt seems to be abandoned aswell, and I can't reach the owner. Does anyone know who "Tayethin" is?
The Cache is Necking in the park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

The only other thing you can do is but a "Should be Archived" log on the cache, which should bring it to the reviewer's attention. Once it is archived, you could always place a new cache in its spot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Great idea!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Our reviewer mtn-man has a large territory to cover and sometimes a nice personal note about an old SBA helps get them looked at.

He said that he tends to look at SBA's when he's having a 'lull' so if you really want them to get looked at everyone should quit hiding caches for a while Jester .

I have just sent him a note on this one so we'll see if that helps. He has due process to follow though, so don't expect it to get sorted out overnight :D.

Last edited by Mrs_Landsharkz on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

Thanks for sending him a note.
I hope this one can be saved because of it's age.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

If the cacher doesn't reply, then I can almost guarantee it won't be saved, sorry. The only person that can adopt a cache to you is the owner. What mtn-man can do is archive it and free up the area for a new hide if the owner does not respond to him or you. If the original container is gone then the cache is gone and there is nothing left to save.

Let's hope that mtn-man is able to get in touch with them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache Adoption Reply with quote

To bad. Sad Hate to see the older ones depart or go missing. Anyway, things happen I guess. Thanks for the help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1