CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback
toplefttopfilltopright
Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold Country GeoTour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Well, we are a little over a month into the GeoTourism program...what are your thoughts?...the good, the bad and the ugly.

The geocaching community has been amazing with the Gold Country Staff, steering us in a better direction when needed, being respectful when we've made faux pas, etc.
Many thanks from Heidi, Amy and Tanya...keep the feedback coming!
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

The Gold Country project has been fantastic.
Our team has been back twice to Gold Country and have a third trip planned for next weekend.
The book is amazing. We read it as we drive to the caches and even our kids love it and ask for me to read more.
We took my mum - Panda Lady- with us in the Ashcroft/ Cache Creek area and she filled us in on some history and the book taught her information she didn't know.
The 24 caches adventure was fun as well and pushed my kids to say "lets do one more".
The launch events were fantastic and we really appreciated the local First Nations rep and the locally made gigantic cake at our event.
Thanks for bringing Geocaching to the province in such a positive and historical way !
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Had a chance to get some of the Gold Country done. absolutely fantastic job guys!
I do have a couple minor things I noticed that would be nice in the book have the GC numer for each cache would make it easier to log the finds afterward It had the caches for all but Logan & lake Merritt in my GPS and PDA. when I left (wasn't planning to do much of the gold country until I picked up the book)
so a few caches I had to googlemap to log. the other suggestion would be to add the attribute icon on the pages as well as a quick visual.

Two minor things, I've been spreading the word on the great caches up here and have talked a couple people to do the tour before winter.

I am hoping to do another before fall Thanks for all the hard work you've put into it!
mountainsideman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Trophy Having attended the launch event in Merritt. I was initially impressed with the complete organization of the whole event (booklet, cache containers, and gold bar reward program). The whole mountainside family has been along for the trip. We've been to areas of the province that we normally would not visit. The history has been an added bonus. All around and excellent event.
anakerose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

The only thing I thought that was missing was a large area road map showing where the caches are. I tried planning a caching circle trip trying to hit as many Gold Country caches as possible, but I found it hard to figure out which way to go. Eventually I broke up the trip into sections (IE, Kelowna to Merritt, Merritt to Logan Lake etc) and it made it easier.
Gold Country GeoTour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

GC numbers and a map are the most common that gets brought up in all of the feedback. We will be adding these to the final version of the GeoTourism fieldguide.
Are GC numbers listed in some sort of order or are they just a random reference number?
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

We have been twice now and are looking forward to our next visit. Visiting the sites that you've chosen and touring/camping in Gold Country have been highlights of our summer holidays.

The book is awesome reading - we found the writing style used by your authors to be very engaging and at a reading level for most people. It will be wonderful to see the final version when you've completed all the edits and we're honoured that we were privy to your draft and able to give feedback to influence the final product.

Others have suggested a map page in the book with cache locations marked. Yes, it would be great to see at a glance where you're heading next or to have this available for route planning purposes. Would you be able to incorporate a larger scale fold out map, or a larger map that is in a pocket inside the back cover?

We would have really liked it if the cache pages in the book had been in alphabetical order according to the name. We spent a lot of time flipping pages trying to find the page for the next cache we were heading to. It seems more likely that we'd say that we were heading to a location like "Deadman Valley Hoodoos" than say we're going to GCXXXX, but it's good to have both.

An Index or Table of Contents which cross references the Cache Name with the GC number might be a handy addition to the book.

You'd asked about GC numbers...GC numbers are generated by geocaching.com and they do have an order, but unless all the caches came out one after the other it may seem a bit random because other caches around the world could have been getting approved and listed in amongst yours.

I hope this helps! Thank you again for this great program!
Julebear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

We've attempted the GC caches twice as well and plan to go back in a month or so to see the fall colours. We have some amazing natural phenomena in BC and we're so glad that this program was initiated.

When using the guide book, we were a bit frustrated with the organization of the pages. Having page numbers with a alphabetical table of contents would be very helpful. We missed a couple of caches that didn't pop up as expected on the gps. After this last trip, I got a package of multi-coloured sticky flags to put on the pages, i.e. blue for Lytton, green for Merritt. Hopefully, this will help.

We found Kaoham Shuttle a bit confusing, thinking that we needed to go to the Lillooet station first. Perhaps that needs clarification, esp for new cachers.

On three of the caches, Harper's Grist Mill, Reg Conn Park and the Birth of Logan Lake, it is possible to approach each one by going up a hill, and in doing so causing a lot of damage to the hillside. It might be a good idea to state clearly not to scramble up the hill in each case. Damage to the hill is not within good geocaching guidelines.

We've really enjoyed doing the caches and the launch event in Cache Creek was well done.
Gold Country GeoTour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions...we are working towards incorporating as many of the suggestions as we can in the finished version of the field guide. I am confident that the new field guide will be more user friendly!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

I have now done 36+ of these caches and plan on doing more in a few weeks.

I received my Gold Bar yesterday and to say I was surprised was a understatement. The work that has gone into this series is incredible. What I have learned along the way is amazing. These are the types of caches I enjoy the most.
I have met some locals who know exactly why you are there and ask you how it is going. Lytton Reaction Ferry to name one.

Now having said that the things I have noticed. Many caches carry a Terrain rating of 1 (or at least they did when I did them) a 1 means wheelchair accessible and I can`t think of many that would be that.
I think if you had say 5 caches that were must do`s to get your Gold Bar that would be a good way of getting some to see some of the really neat places such as Stein Valley Asking Rock or the Botanie Valley ( I did not expect to see what i did when I did this one) to name just two of the ones I did.

I do think if it was your plan to get people to visit the `Gold Country`area and stay it has worked. I know I have been there three times and Mrs Philatsea is currently up there again for 5 days caching with her daughter. I know we plan one more trip up there and I would not have done this if it was not for this promotion. It is also amazing what one will do to get a smiley and a Gold Bar.

I left for Europe the day this was launched and have been trying to get a book for it since then. I have visited a few of the Information Centres with no luck. I would really like to get one at some point.

I would like to Thank you for all the hard work and time spent putting this together.

Phil
Gold Country GeoTour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Gold Country will post when the final Field Guide is publicly available.

Right now mini packages are available at Museums and Info Centres in the Gold Country region. The packages have pages relevant to the community and immediate surrounding area in which you have stopped at.
Gold Country GeoTour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the fantastic feedback & comments!

I am pleased to announce that the much awaited Final Guide has returned from the printer! This is a full colour, published book to gather your great caching memories.

Gold Country GeoTourism Program is also excited to launch our first merchandise line for the Spring of 2010. Staff will be at the BC Boat & Sportsman Show in Abbotsford from March 5-7, 2010 for those interested in the first viewing. Items will include the Published Guide, T-shirts, our new Geocoin and more! Pre-sales for show pick up will be accepted. Watch for updates on our website.

Look forward to your continuing feedback & direction. We hope to continue to grow this program in exciting ways for the future.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

I plan on going to the show and will defintely stop by to have a chat and see what's on the table! Thanks for the heads up...

gearhedd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gold Country GeoTourism Feedback Reply with quote

Two reasons to make a stop at the show, so you may see me there as well. Still working on doing more of those caches this summer. I think I'm only at 8 or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1