CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching Log - Replacement Question
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Steller's Jay
Steller's Jay:  [?] . The Steller's Jay is British Columbia's Provincial Bird and the inspiration for the 2008 BCGA geocoin. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching Log - Replacement Question
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Caching Log - Replacement Question
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

There are a lot of caches that have damp and wet logs. Some of them are damp, etc. On a recent geocache, I've been reading logs about:

"Log is full and wet and needs replacement" x 5

Anyways, I always bring some extra temp. logs. But lets say you can't fit the old log back into the geocache. What's the etiquette?

a) Replace log and take old damp one and email hider?

Do we go so far as to mail them the old damp log?

What do you guys do?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I have a few strips of write-in-the rain logs sheets in my bag, I have replaced them in some caches. Unfortunately its often is the very small containers that are wet, and I don't have nano rolls in my pocket.

I am always impressed with the 911turbo's when we go out. She inevitably has every needed part of a cache , even O-rings for bison tubes, a rag to dry them out. She is very good at doing her best to fix a cache that is in need.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Oliverthenakedbear wrote:
There are a lot of caches that have damp and wet logs. Some of them are damp, etc. On a recent geocache, I've been reading logs about:

"Log is full and wet and needs replacement" x 5

Anyways, I always bring some extra temp. logs. But lets say you can't fit the old log back into the geocache. What's the etiquette?

a) Replace log and take old damp one and email hider?

Do we go so far as to mail them the old damp log?

What do you guys do?

A q-tip is slick to clean out micros that are wet inside!

We carry logs of every shape and size too, but not o-rings. That's a good one!

We always replace logs when necessary and we used to bring the old wet log back home. I used to send a note to the cache owner to say that we'd replaced their log and did they want the old one back... usually I got no reply (if they're not caching or not around - hence the wet log) and if they were caching and did reply, they asked me to turf it 100% of the time.

Put yourself in their shoes... do you want a wet, possibly full and possibly mouldy log to arrive in the mail? And if it did... what would YOU do with it Yuck . I go with my gut instinct and sometimes just CITO it into the nearest garbage can on my way back to the car.
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

[quote="Mrs_Landsharkz"]

Put yourself in their shoes... do you want a wet, possibly full and possibly mouldy log to arrive in the mail? And if it did... what would YOU do with it Yuck . I go with my gut instinct and sometimes just CITO it into the nearest garbage can on my way back to the car.

But then,...what about auditing logs\/ Detective

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Audit logs? You mean check to see if they were really there?
Why?
I am not going to go through every log book and cross reference it against the online log
Remember, they are only cheating themselves...
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I usually just carry around a notebook, if I find a cache with a wet logbook I sign a piece of separate paper and put it in the cache. I sometimes write a note in my book (hence the name "notebook", great thinking right?!?!). Then put a needs maintenance log on the cache page, only if it's really bad. I have only found a few moldy ones since my start. They happened to be ones "way out of the way". I don't really carry a cache maintenence bag around, usually only a backpack with the coins/tbs, notebook, first aid, and some caches ready to go. First of all because I'm fairly new to caching, second because I don't have the money to spend on that. It's hard being a high school student!
P.S I also think the best place to mail the wet logbooks to is the dump.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:

But then,...what about auditing logs\/ Detective

Do you really want the stress and the work and what would you gain? Don't go there, you won't have any fun! There are people who don't play the game honestly, but they are the ones who have to look themselves in the mirror when they finish logging their 'finds' for the day. Heck, 2 minutes at an event counts for a smiley, but were you really 'there' or did you just showing your face long enough to make eye contact with someone who would say they saw you for a fleeting moment. Or the person who says they got to where the cache should have been, but it was missing, but since they made the effort they're going to log a 'find' anyway for their troubles... Yuck

It's not worth it, but you know who plays fair and who doesn't and auditing isn't going to help. Just be the best cacher you can be so you can look at your stats and know you earned them fair and square.
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I have printed out every log available from the net, plus we have logs from our nanos and micros that we have bought and we have pads of rite in the rain, and we have tons of bags and pencils, sharpeners, swag, etc.
Even a roll of towels in the van.

We will clean up and even replace a cache container if need be. Not at every stop (cache container) but the odd one here or there that we find Smile
The logs are simple to carry around and simple to change and usually the CO doesn't want the old ones...so far that we have found. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:

It's not worth it, but you know who plays fair and who doesn't and auditing isn't going to help. Just be the best cacher you can be so you can look at your stats and know you earned them fair and square.

Oh ya, cause my stats are where they should be...not lol
I have close to 80 + caches to log Smack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I used to carry almost everything in my sling pack:
replacement logs or spare paper, pencils, pens, pencil sharpeners, paper towels, baby wipes, film canisters, zip lock bags, CITO bags, gloves, snacks and more.
Suddenly there was no room for swag! For a Swagaholic this was a very real dilemma.
At tas's insistence...I simplified my sling pack. This came after finding a cache that was in really bad shape...wet, moldy log, etc. Almost 20 minutes of cache care-giving later tas and I came to the same conclusion. Enough already! If the cache owner isn't doing regular maintainence, then neither are we.
That conclusion does not apply to caches that need just a bit of help, but it does to those that need a major overhaul.

We email the cache owner with a polite note...saying what needs to be done. Usually that is enough. There is no need to be rude in this email as who knows what the cache owner's circumstances are at that time?
H1N1 can lay a cacher and their family low!
Anyone want to know how my arms feel after both Vaccines? I didn't think so! Yuck

Oh, and carrying snacks like nuts may not be the best idea...so I found out when an especially aggressive squirrel ran up my leg! Smack Smack

My sling pack is somewhat lighter now, except for the swag! If you meet up with us along any Geotrails...ask and you could receive!

Safe caching!
marmi&tas
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Sorry...completely forgot about the log book question. Blame it on my 'owie' arms. Paperbag
Somehow, log books seem sacred to me and I really hate to throw any of them out. I don't feel that is my decision to make.

Since we have been caching I have had only one CO ask me where the log book was. It was a micro and there was no log book...so we added a piece of paper. The CO said he wasn't blaming anyone but had wanted that log for his archives.

If the log book is soggy or moldy, full or otherwise compromised...we leave it there and notify the CO that s/he may want to replace said book.

We have retrieved log books from our own caches that were in the above condition. We dry them out...and then they get recycled. Shifty
We don't check who has signed against who has logged because basically we trust folks and really don't care if someone has 'cheated'. It's on their conscience, not ours.

The 'Official Geocache Logbooks' are more durable than anything bought at the dollar stores...although we have a lot of the latter. LOL

marmi&tas
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Marmi, I'd like to see your sling bag! It sounds like a mobile repair kit. Crazy. Nut

I've never used Rite in the Rain paper before. Are they immune to damp and condensation?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I've never used Rite in the Rain paper before. Are they immune to damp and condensation?
Rite in the Rain paper works best with pencils. It still gets 'wet' but you can always write on it.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Marmi, I'd like to see your sling bag! It sounds like a mobile repair kit. Crazy. Nut

Anytime we meet up with you Oliverthenakedbear...just ask! MEC has the best selection of sling packs. Mine, of course, is not quite the mobile repair kit it once was.
The Rite in the Rain paper is stronger than ordinary paper but not immune to wet. Now that the rainy season is upon us, log replacements will be needed for sure. If cachers would take more care when they cache in the rain and/or snow by seeking some cover or using an umbrella...and not letting the cache sit open while they sign the log...cache maintainence would be a lot easier!

I'll just load my sling pack with a ziplock full of paper towels while tas is otherwise occupied. heheh

marmi&tas
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I think the sling packs should be labeled "geocaching packs" as there are so many of us that have them. Mine too is loaded up with clean up stuff. Thanks to all the cachers out there who help clean up caches.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Ah, one of the first websites I worked on years ago.. the memories..
Anyways,

www.mec.ca/Products/pr...7925828480

They do have many colors, and left/right handed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Hey that's my bag ! Give it back.

I know I bought one of the first ones out there- do you think MEC should give me some royalties ?
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

This MEC bag is the cacher's secret "handshake". The only bag I've seen that allows bending over, under and through without snagging. MEC should give us a kickback! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

MsChief-Gps_y wrote:
This MEC bag is the cacher's secret "handshake". The only bag I've seen that allows bending over, under and through without snagging. MEC should give us a kickback! Wink

Maybe we can have a set of these things with a geocaching symbol embroidered and sell off during Christmas? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

Actually four years ago I asked if they would sell them discounted so I could do exactly that but not go.... but those with the ancient art of sewing could buy a patch and sew it on !
I think my kids are doing sewing in school .... hee hee
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Log - Replacement Question Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean Mrs WWB. Thanks for reminding me I've got a couple of patches to get sewn on. Hey do your kids want to show off their new skill? teehee

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1