CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Groundspeak Network Down!!!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fernie
Fernie:  [?] . From mining town to phohibition era Whiskey smuggling hub to a premier ski resort, Fernie's prosperity has been dependent on its ability to adapt. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Groundspeak Network Down!!!
toplefttopfilltopright
Groundspeak Network Down!!!
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLONM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

Philatsea wrote:
Let's see I leave for Europe tomorrow to Cruise and Geocache along the way. I only got my GPS back from Garmin and I need to load the caches from Europe. This isn't good..... Smack

Phil

It will all work out Phil..cruise on & happy caching on the other side of the pond!! Beanie
knightorc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

Ok this is funny in a geek way. I am a geek so I find this funny.

Lastest Twitter Entry from Jeremy Irish

A WTF moment: Bing guys are trying to power their servers up using small honda generators. Good idea like, 12 hours ago. #fisherfire 3 minutes ago from TwitterFox

LOL
knightorc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

More:

Heading over to Fisher Plaza to keep Elias company and provide on-site tweets #fisherfire 19 minutes ago from TwitterFox

RT @uchikura Generator No. 1 will start 10:45pm. 45min late. Gen No.2 will start 30 min after that. Let's hope so. 12 minutes ago from TwitterFox
Cyclepath_Cacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates!
knightorc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

HVAC are now being powered up. Things should be up sooner rather than later. I am heading to bed to watch a movie.

Happy Geocaching tomorrow everyone. Wink
geodug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

knightorc wrote:
Ok this is funny in a geek way. I am a geek so I find this funny.

Lastest Twitter Entry from Jeremy Irish

A WTF moment: Bing guys are trying to power their servers up using small honda generators. Good idea like, 12 hours ago. #fisherfire 3 minutes ago from TwitterFox

LOL

Actually this may be a good idea if I visualize it correctly.

Everybody is waiting for the various building generators to start one by one and then lastly the servers will be started in some sort of sequence so as not to overload the system. We all know that current draw is highest when you first turn the servers on and then the load tapers off.

However, you can get a jump on the situation and take yourself out of the sequence by hooking up smaller generators on the opposite side of the UPSs as your own servers. Start up the generators and now you can start the servers. Leave the generators running as long as possible and the UPS batteries will at least partially charge.

Now as long as the Honda generators are well ventilated you can let them run until everybody elses servers have started from the main power. The building should now be running on the building management's generators. Power down the Honda generators and immediately plug in the cables being serviced by the big generator to your UPSs.

You now have your servers running ahead of everyone else. You didn't worry about where in the sequence you would be allowed to start your servers. The load to the main system is minimized as far as your equipment is concerned.

So far, it looks like they have a 2 hour jump on the rest and counting.

I guess they could have done this 12 hours ago but then I would guess there wasn't enough ventilation for the Honda's exhaust.
bigverns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

is there any news on when the site will be up and running yet.
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

07:37 and all is well. Thanks Groundspeak!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Groundspeak Network Down!!! Reply with quote

All is good, a little slow but we managed to get the cahes downloaded.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 2 of 2