CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Challenge Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Predator Ridge
Predator Ridge:  [?] . Breathtaking views near Vernon. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Challenge Caches
toplefttopfilltopright
Challenge Caches
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

Thought since 42 has come up twice, and now challenge caches have come up as well - They need their own place to be discussed as they have ALR's and are in a world of their own - to answer the questions on 42 - We don't think they meet the requirements of challenge caches currently:

We think we could be challenged on:

4. Obtain 42 caches that have either a 5 terrain or a 5 difficulty (you can revisit a found one - but you must have your picture taken with the towel) - If you run out of 5's that existed prior to the publication of this cache let us know of caches you would like consideration for - we may allow a slightly lower 4.5 count if it required the effort. You must have your picture taken with all 42 caches.

As that is a high difficulty step to do. - All the rest are doable for anyone. We are even allowing 4's - if they require the effort as we know that ratings are done different based on when placed etc. Conair @ Stoyoma - was a 4 that involved a 3 hour 4x4 drive and a 5 hour hike, Hope Mountain a 4.5 - with a 7 hour hike.

However if we change it to 4's - how to we pull out the Liar's Caches that are in there with a 4.5 terrain rating? As well we know of a few "higher" terrain that don't really make a memory - so we put it on hold until things settle down to avoid having any issues. There is a cache called 555 out there that requires 55 of them - so it's fate will be watched to see what happens to it. We don't want to turn into Judge & Jury -

In BC we have only a few challenge caches that I know of - Legacy Pac has 2 and I think we saw another one (not sure) and we like them (haven't yet finished any but think we are done with 1 just have to look at the numbers) as they raise the bar and add a bit of fun.

One of the ones we just placed in Tulameen last weekend had ALR requirements it was a photo challenge cache - as we he plans for the photos people would submit, but had to change those to optional - we are "hoping" that people will still follow the intention of it - We may turn it into a "puzzle" cache that requires you to get info or a multi. We want to make sure that people got to explore the whole area and understand the history.. As there are some places that we want people to find out about, that should be sought out on their own as the info you'd find while looking is the journey - and if we just gave coordinates it wouldn't be the same.

So the question I ask is - who else is planning challenge caches, what are the general ideas around them and do we need a place to house these that won't get you a smiley? From feedback we have from others they are desired and wanted. We have about 5 Challenge Caches that we are working on designing and placing over the next year that are 'different' so to speak and a few fun Multi's -

After a year and a half of caching, our reasons for doing it have evolved (just wait until next July 2010 if all goes well in May.. lol - I need Ammo cans lots and lots of Ammo can's.. evil laugh I have - amazing what musum curators and history archivests are willing to help out with) and

So do any of you have plans to place new challenge caches?

and now that I've typed this I have an idea.. hmm
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

I don't know if I lost my competitive edge or if I'm just an old stick in the mud. But I rarely give challenge caches a second glance.

As far as Legacypac's challenge, I took a look and I know I'm just two or three caches away from completion. It's the only challenge cache I've pondered for longer than two minutes.

I know it would take me years to do the topographical challenge so that is not even on my radar and I know I'd forget my towel pretty much everywhere for 42. I started a series in 2004 and lost all the clues to the final. The same goes with the Baden Powell series. I lost absolutely every clue. Perhaps if I was more organized I'd get into the spirit. Perhaps if I actually finished a challenge I'd get a rush and not be so lazy.

In regards to Tulameen, the Coal Rush Rally is the type of challenge I like. It is a group event that takes place over a weekend. Once we're done, we're done (in my case, pleasantly toasted). And then we can all move on. If you haven't noticed, I like a good rally.

Now having said that, I've watched other cachers totally into the challenge. I've seen more than a few towels at events. And I was shocked to see how many of these challenges get FTFs within a few months. There is definitely a select group that show an interest. So just because I don't participate doesn't mean nobody else will.

Geocaching seems to attract the most creative people on the planet. I can't remember all the variations on one theme I've seen over the years.

Locationless caches were my favourite and I did all those before I had a digital camera.

Challenge caches can be ingenious, devious, and a lot of fun if they're not too hard. If a challenge cache pops up that I think I would be able to do in a summer, I'd probably jump on the bandwagon.
legacypac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

A B.C. Challange seems to be well received. www.geocaching.com/see...2c5ddaf1f4

The most technical part of it is understanding how to set up a bookmark list. The final is really fairly easy. I think anyone can do it with a little planning, though it is a little harder for experience cachers to find the less common letters.

I am not thrilled with BC's Hardest. It is just really too hard for nearly everyone, including me, to complete. Kudos to wild wiggly beanz as they went to some extreme measures to complete this one.

I doubt I'll place another challenge, unless I find a really good idea.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

legacypac, I didn't know about this cache! I just had approval from mtn-man (decided to check to be safe) and will have a Vancouver Island ABC's coming out soon I hope. I had seen one in the US and Manitoba...
legacypac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
legacypac, I didn't know about this cache! I just had approval from mtn-man (decided to check to be safe) and will have a Vancouver Island ABC's coming out soon I hope. I had seen one in the US and Manitoba...

I worked it up off the Washington State and Michigan State Alphabet Soup Caches by ohjoy! I got her permission for the concept, then modified it quite a bit to match my liking. I figure the "A B.C. Challenge" fits the cache better then Alphabet Soup does.

One key differance is that ohjoy! requires you verify the finds with her and then she emails you key information. That is now not really permitted, plus extra and needless work. Anyone can solve a simple puzzle and go log A B.C. and the cacher is responsible for verifying thier own finds.

Good luck with the Vancouver Island version - hopefully I can get over and do it soon. Do all the caches have to be found on the Island?
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Reply with quote

legacypac... yes, it will be 'all island finds' to make it more interesting. With over 1/3 of the caches in the province, it shouldn't be too hard I hope... the idea is to make it fun for all.

The best part is that the final cache contains about 26 signature items from the collection we've amassed here. Some are from long-gone cachers like plantman and others are just plain fun siggy things that we've found in our travels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1