CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Racoon
Racoon:  [?] . Curiosity and ingenuity have earned the racoon's reputation as a geocache's primary non-human muggle. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA
toplefttopfilltopright
The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Not sure if Mountain man can post the event yet as it's over 6 months from now, so it may be a few weeks before you see it posted, but wanted to give you the heads up.

Event is over the May Long Weekend! Starting Friday going til Sunday (or Monday if you'll stay!) Yes I know we're posting it very early - but want to ensure people can make their vacation plans - watch this page for future updates. Terrain rating will be based on what you make it - but to get to the event is a 1 with a 2. Geowoodstock VII is not on the same weekend - so you can do both events!

A 3 day caching event in the beautiful Tulameen, Coalmont, Blakeburn area.

We recommend arriving on Friday as activities will begin then. Caching will run from Friday through to Sunday and prizes given out Sunday night over the campfire. More information will be able to be seen on our blog as the event evolves. We are working with the author of the local history book on Blakeburn to highlight some of the area’s most prominent history.

You are then free on Monday to either finish caching in the area or head home.

The couch is spoken for (yes Scruff reserved for you)! However we do have space on our land for those who are tenting.

There are 2 inns that are in the area:

1. Mozey On Inn (Coalmont)
2. Otter Inn (Tulameen)

If you want the Inns or the Campground - BOOK EARLY!!

There are also numerous cabins for rent in the area, however this is a long weekend so some of them may already be taken.

There is a provincial campground as well, or if you are used to "outback camping" millions of places in the area you can set up your tent for free - we can provide guidance on that.

This event will be run similar to a Poker Run - we're still working out the final details, however will NOT be time based.

You will be searching for the existing caches in the area, and approximately 15-20 new caches that will be placed for the event. We are hoping that snow will be gone by that time for the higher elevation caches.

Caches will consist of 4 categories - of which you're welcome to them all:

1. Easy Drive up Caches that a Honda Civic can get to and no major hiking and very family (young kid) friendly
2. Caches that you require a stock 4x4 to get to
3. Caches that require you to hike approximately 1-2 KM to claim
4. Caches that you require a modified 4x4 to get to

Now if you're thinking I'll just go get as many of the easier ones I can to increase my odds - well we're putting a twist on it - if you spend the time on the more difficult ones you'll get more points for those.

There will be:

1. Traditional Caches
2. At least 1 Multi Cache
3. At least 1 puzzle Cache
4. At least 1 Letterbox Hybrid Cache
5. Caches with Terrain ratings from 1-5
6. Caches with difficulty ratings from 1-5
7. (no you can not fill every grid rating lol at we are not placing 87 caches)

If you are planning on doing any caches other then the Honda Civic ones you will be required to bring (and show us prior to getting your list) the following:

1. Bear Spray
2. Hand Held Radio(no not the am fm type silly)
3. First Aid Kit

We hope to see you there, please contact us if you have any questions. We are posting this early as many people are already making their holiday plans. Admission will be by donation of a prize.

This Event will be Quad Friendly as well!
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Just need to book a seat with someone with a 4X4.
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

oh ya, so in on this one, not sure when the long weekend is, but I for sure am so there!!!
lol
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

One more item - all 15-20 caches that we are placing will be "smilies", and for those that would like to eat at the cabin as a "group" we'd like to suggest potluck.

There will be 2 ways to win:

1. Points for the Caches (EG certain caches worth points)
2. Poker run - (EG Best Hand)

As well as various other titles (such as dirtiest child on coal pit.. lol)
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

I may have the couch??? Oh, thank you. I am special I am special!!!

Pot luck??? Hmmm, Rum balls, Spaghetti in red wine sauce, Cherries in brandy. **hic** And now onto the drinks....

You mean other people will be there? That means I will have to behave.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Remember you won't have to behave you won't be the president anymore (and we all can get to know you as a peer.. lol) - counch is forever yours (we have built a shrine to you - but we must take you to new caches)

Watermelon specials, Cosmo's, Twitchy has the nuts... by that time he should be well trained but that much commotion may make him hide.. lol If you can bring the cherries - I'll tie the stems with my tounge.. lol (ok worked in the bar way too long)

I'll give up my front seat for you again as well - (if you want we can probably borrow Rigs for the weekend, we took up a bag of dogfood for him.. ) or will the call of the bluejays keep us on the back deck with the blender checking people in and out and keeping tabs on people.. did you know I saw a bluejay swallow a whole peanut (in shell).

Is it ok if we steal some of your formatting from the rally "stamp" books? and do you have any spare decks of cards to donate?

On a serious note - Mountain man can't post til 3 months before (even though it says for overnight stays can be posted 6 months in event.. I'll be a good girl and wait.. he's a good friend to have, hoping maybe he'll come) he said to make sure we post it on the forums!..

So Scruff - are we having a new years eve pub party somewhere? how about the cabin - anyone want to hold an event in tulameen with us at the the cabin new years eve - won't fit many but if you have a camper or willing to brave a tent
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Wanted to post a quick update - we were up there this weekend and placed the first of the new caches to come for this event.

With the existing caches and the ones we are placing there will be a total of 55 caches that are part of this run, and in each of those caches 55 cards that can be used. There are also caches in the area that will not be part of the event. We're hoping then for of course .. drum roll - 55 teams.. lol (or more if people will come!)

With those 55 caches, a total of 40 grids of difficult/terrain can be completed and if we can make it into our chosen spot a 5/5 will be born - the challenge will to get there.

We will be providing each team that participates a "memory" book that is 8x11 and has a full page on the history of each cache and the area it's in as well and a CD to play as they go and get caches.. Smile

So as soon as you know you will be able to come please let us know so we can make sure we have adequate supplies for everything..
Bestred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Well hubby usually goes to his mom's in Princeton so if we all go and then drop the kids off there, we should be good Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Actually you can bring the kids - we have special "kid friendly" caches planned and a few events and prizes for them as well - we're trying to encompass everything - so please feel free to bring them. You just have to keep them in close tow on some of the sights and wouldn't be able to access all of them.
mozey-on-inn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

HI Turtles et al....

Thanks for mentioning us in your announcement.... If anybody coming is looking for accomodation, you can check out our website:

www.mozey-on-inn.com

See you in May.... B)

diane @ mozey-on-inn.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

It's own web page has been born..

greatcoalrush.blogspot.com/

We will be keeping it updated. Right now it's just the start - will take a few days to get it all up and running.. Smile but we've got a song and the started Guest list .. he he

We will be placing pictures, Terrain/difficulty grids, cache lists - you name it We'll be putting it on there..

Hope to see you all there.
hollyburn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

I've booked the barbershop! Can't wait!!!
mozey-on-inn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Thanks to all who booked, and the Turtles for the reccommendations.... the Mozey-On-Inn is now full for all three days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday....

Bob & Diane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Looks like we are gonna have to camp in the back yard....we have room for a couple if need be. Our tent is consided a hotel compared to tents....lol

Somerset Pass™ 10 Person
Tent with Pet Den
www.colemancanada.ca/C...n.products

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

since the Mozey-on-inn is full - next stop is:

www.ottersleepinn.netfirms.com/

They likely won't notify us when they are full - so if someone books and gets a "full" answer can you let us know.

As well if you're coming for sure, please let us know so we can update the cacher list on the side. Since we're having things made for this it will help us anticipate quanities and activities.. Smile

See you there - by the way we've also updated the sight with the first cache we placed for it! And I'm working on posting the "approximate" grid for terrain/difficulty combinations as well. That should be done in a few days.

www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Just a quick update - This will be posted as 3 seperate Events. Have read and reread the guidelines and think we should be able to list them seperately

You will have from Friday at 8 AM til Sunday evening to get the caches/cards

1. Meet & Greet and registration - Friday
2. The Great Coal Rush - Saturday
3. Potluck Dinner and Awards Ceremony Sunday

We are hoping soon to have the support of the City of Tulameen. On the cache page (www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com) We have put links up to accomodations.

As well drumroll please. The original Coalmont Hotel is willing to open to for guests to stay (it is a haunted hotel by the way) if we can get people to take 5 rooms and we must book this together - so it must come through us.

The only draw backs

1) It is a shared bathroom for all 5 rooms
2) The fire escape does not exist (it fell off and hasn't been replaced)

The owners need all 5 rooms to be be booked together, because if they let guests stay in the rooms they need to be there as well.

Please let us know if you are interested..
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

The event has been approved and is posted now!!

www.geocaching.com/see...268cf927c7

We're working on TV coverage for the event now to see if we can get the Kelowna TV channel to come up.. Smile
mozey-on-inn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

A quick word about the Coalmont Hotel.... If you are thinking of booking, call the Turtles ASAP.... I talked to a friend of the owners today, and they are thinking of having a big party that weekend.... they were actually asking us if we had rooms for them to rent.... Shifty

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

TulameenTurtles wrote:
The event has been approved and is posted now!!

www.geocaching.com/see...268cf927c7

We're working on TV coverage for the event now to see if we can get the Kelowna TV channel to come up.. Smile

Call Shaw TV too, they do this sort of thing.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Was thinking about trying my luck and seeing if there are any rooms still available in the area... But after taking a look at the beverage options, I'm thinking tenting it is the smarter option Nut
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Beverage options are open and there is actually a government liquor store in town (the trading post does it all) - so prices are at normal - keep in mind though may long weekend so selection may not be all you want (eg no bottles just cans left)

One tenter found a cabin so we do have one tent space at the cabin right now.. Smile Please forward to any friends you think might want to come up as well!

Coin design is ready (we are so excited the final artwork is exactly what we wanted)! Turtle
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

OOOooo!!! If you don't already have a tent spot for me I'll take it!
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Now I feel a bit guilty for having the big comfy couch in the warm cabin right next to the arcade games and bar. **hic** Mooching the Turtle's dinner and just being bad bad bad. And all the others will be out there in the cold with Twitchy. If I was a true gentleman I'd give up the couch. But, well, I'm a skunk. I will try not to gloat too much. And if I do you may slap me with a fish.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Scruff are you bringing the shoes.. lol I promise not to tell
Shannon we do have a tent space reserved for you..

We promise twitchy won't try to sneak into the tent.. I'm assuming CB and Geodug are coming as well - will people please post there will attends.. lol
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

You you you BEAN SPILLER! Oh, now everyone will know about the shoes. It's true. Geocachers gossip more than debutantes at a cotillion. Now I will have to explain the shoes. THE SHOES!!!

And I thought what happens in Tulameen stays in Tulameen.

Ms. Turtle owes me big time. Yep yep yep yep yep. I think I will start with extra cocktails and go from there to steak breakfasts and and and...

...it will never end. And all for spilling the beans. I feel so sorry for you. It will take ever so much to make it up to me. Now I think I can mooch a Tulameen weekend without feeling like I'm mooching. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

I wonder if I can back my trailer up into the tent spots, I guess we will have to arrive a few days early in order to get a spot closest to the bar, and the BBQ. If we come late, all those tents would end up under the trailer, and that would just not do. Ever try to get plastic tarp out of those electric brake drums, what a mess!
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Waiting for the Shoe story. Inquiring minds want to know Beanie
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Scruff what are you talking about - I'm referring to your Hiking boots.. you might have to walk for a few caches.. lol

and it won't be steak breakfasts it will be bacon and sausage as Rigs likes those better

You know the goal of this is going to be caching.. not the beverages.. lol The property is only so big.. and space is now full (with Mach) on the property for people to camp (but lots of hang out room when not sleeping - but who needs sleep that weekend)but we can provide lots of other local areas to stay at.

Ok pic is a bit big - but is our logo.. Smile

Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

kelly - we have reserved the room for you guys as well.. we didn't forget.. Smile
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

The coin looks great. Will they be for sale or will they be prizes or both???
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Sale only and first run is only 100 coins.. (we have a budget here.. lol and starting to go way over) if the 100 sell and if there is a request for more then we will look at a 2nd running of them.. Prizes.. now that's a good topic
- of course if people want to pre-order the coin beforehand from us - let us know if we get enough cache before hand we'll order extra coins.

We're looking to see if we can get a gps - I just put our first corporate sponsor on the webpage for the event.. so about ready to go and see who else wants to sponsor it..

We got the last of the envelopes today, (thank you for the cards Scruff!! - we can now finish putting the last of the over 3000 cards in envelopes for the event!), package envelopes, CD envelopes - picked up the 100 CD's and the covers for the books. Have the buttons in the works for the event.. Registration form almost ready, scoring grid..

Now to see if we can find a friend who does printing at a price less then staples as we need 60 copies of it at 40 pages double sided and hole punched.. lol

I just sent you the e-mail with the link.. enjoy - just wait til you see the rest of the photo's and stories - of course no room in my house for anything.. lol and the book is ony 1/2 done still have to put the rest of the stories in place and sort through the pictures terry has been sending us.. Smile

For anyone who needs to know

www.greatcoalrush.blogspot.com
Be there - or miss out on an amazing adventure!
mozey-on-inn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

We love the coin and WANT ONE!!! *S* How much do you expect they will be? It sounds like you have been VERY BUSY Turtles! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Save a coin for us Kris
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Turtle people -- Have you ever thought of pre sales? I mean, there are a LOT of coin collectors out there and even in hard times I've heard that the die hard collectors still allow the one luxury of collecting coins.

It's a great design and with a small minting number it would be rare. You could always do the coin again but in another finish. That way the first minting will always be rare. You're spending a lot of time and money on this project and a few early coin sales might help with that all important funding.

I never asked. Is the coin trackable? That makes a big difference for coin collectors.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Cool coin... do you have a picture of the other side?
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

Good point Scruff - hadn't thought about that.. Should we limit the first run to those attending the event? and would it be appropriate for people to pay me through paypal?

We were thinking a $10 price point on it..

Otherside of coin: - We kept it simple, used the dark cards as we are doing "coal" and it's a royal flush.. Cards going backwards as you are going back in time. When we were putting it together we liked this one the best as it spoke the truest to our vision...
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

One last note on the coin.. forgot to mention now that we have the final artwork we're looking at the price difference at having the inside portion (inside the poker chip rim) either spin inside the rim or be able to flip from side to side. So if we can do that how would you see the price points..
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

If the coin had something special like a decoder code I'd say go for a spinning coin, but having the coin do tricks, in my opinion, would add to the cost but not enhance the coin. If you can keep the price of the coin at ten dollars or under it would be a bonus. Shipping alone will add a few dollars to the coin so it will be a 12 dollar coin for those that can't get it in person.

I'm looking forward to the Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally. It is going to be the social event of the season. Of that, I have no doubt.

Question -- are you going to have Mr. Turtle on the ready with a tow truck for those cachers that attempt the harder (outer limit) caches on the 4X4 roads with a city car???

Ms. Turbos and I did a small city rally with ten caches and 20 cars. I can't imagine a poker run/rally of this magnitude. You may want to remind everyone that there is a speed limit in Tulameen. **teehee**
gearhedd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

I'm planning on coming, I would like to be on the short list for one coin.

I will be tenting it in a free/bush spot, but likely to be coming up around 7pm so coords to a good area or something reserved somehow would be great.

Questions? I know more info is on the way, I have just been thinking.

What time does the events start Friday, I know we can start getting caches friday morning but as for the meet and greet?

How is the Sunday potluck working? I have dutch ovens so I could plan something if there is time.

How big are the teams? A car/truck load, or one cacher that can join one group for hike in caches and a 4x4 driver to get those caches....
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Great Tulameen Coal Rush Run Rally - GC1HMDA Reply with quote

The more posts that show up here, the more excited I'm getting! Officially booked Thursday-Tuesday off for this today! I can't wait!!! And of course I'm interested in the coins!!! 2 please!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 3