CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Some will smile and others will shake their heads :)
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sockeye Salmon
Sockeye Salmon:  [?] . Over fifteen million sockeye salmon return to the Adams River by Chase once every four years. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Some will smile and others will shake their heads :)
toplefttopfilltopright
Some will smile and others will shake their heads :)
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Ok here is a story for everyone. I was sitting at home and a cache pops up. Hey it's one of those "Was that a Duck" caches, the 3rd in the series. I know those hides this will be easy. I'm in my den and I have a pair of shorts and a T-Shirt on. I think na I don't need to change it's a quick drive up, sign, and go cache. So off I go in my shorts, T-Shirt, and runners. Oh ya no socks cause I don't need them I’m thinking. I get close to the cache and I think to myself I know exactly where it is it's in that big church parking lot. I come over the freeway about 1/2 a block away from the church parking lot. I quickly turn into the lot and what do I notice in the corner of my eye. A cop parked in the very back corner of the lot. I'm already halfway into the lot so I think well I’m committed now. I pull into a parking spot pretend to be working with my GPS mounted on my dash and decide not to get out and go for the cache because I’m in my shorts, T-Shirt, and runners after all. How weird would that look to the cop?
Well I exit the parking lot and of course the cop follows me. I turn into a gas station nearby to see if he will pass me by. He does but then nope he does a uturn and pulls into the gas station behind me with his lights a flashing. I'm thinking man just leave me alone I didn't really do anything wrong other than look suspicious. The officer gets out and she has me roll down my window. "Can I see you licence". I say yes of course but I think to myself why didn't she ask for my insurance. "Did you know your license is expired"? I go pale "No ma'am I didn't". "Well you have 2 choices either someone comes and gets you or we impound your vehicle". Quickly I reply "I'll call my wife". I call the wife and she say oh my I’m on my way. So there I am sitting in my truck shorts, T-Shirt, and runners with no socks and all I can think of is man this sucks. There’s 2 more caches less than 2 miles from my house and I’m not going to be able to get them. I will pause here for the tremendous laughter.
So here I am sulking as I write this rather long note sorry about that BTW just thought it might put a smile on someone’s face who thinks they are having a bad night. Oh ya now I have to call my boss to tell him I won’t be in tomorrow morning cause I’m a dumb ass and need to fix up a couple of things like renew my licence for $75.00 and pay my fine of $138.00. On a funny little side note I got home and the first thing I did was look to see if anyone actually got the FTF with the cop sitting in the corner. GoingGone emails me and say’s ya we saw a car back there and thought it was the cache owners watching us again so we waved. You see we went for a FTF last night too and the same cache owners watched us find the cache. Curse you Curnews LOL.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

LOL Kelly, thanks for the laugh! I just read your story on the cache page.... I can only imagine what the cop must have been thinking when she saw what you were wearing! Do you think it was just dumb luck that she pulled you over with an expired license or do you think she ran a check on you? Either way, thanks again for the laugh!
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

She ran a check on me when I parked in the lot beside the cache. It must have been weird for her sitting there in the back of an almost empty church parking lot and to then see cars one after another pull up to a clothing recycle bin get out feel around the bin and in the case of Going Gone wave at her and then drive off. I considered telling her what was up but I was a little too miffed and didn't need a police officer laughing at me at ten o clock at night so I just left it alone.
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Ha ha, priceless! Don't forget to smile for your picture Kelly Beanie
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

I feel for you, You should have grabbed the cache while you were at it at least you would have had the cache as well....
after reading I checked my license, Still valid whew!
goinggone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Yup, we just didn't look suspicious enough Kelly Shifty . But we were so sure that it was curnew again. Wish we'd still been there to see it. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Funny thing when I went back to get my truck you see I had to leave it there over night. There was a construction crew right beside the cache lol. I don't think i'm supposed to ever get this one i'm starting to think.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

This is funny, I just read a thread about integrity an well hidden caches. Now I read about your problems finding a cache that is on private property and is a perfect example of all the wrong things on the other thread. Integrity? I THINK NOT.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Geez thanks for the insult Mike can I be your friend too. If anything I have just proven some of the points made on the other thread. Have I posted a find on the cache yet? No I haven't. Have I notified the owner about the problem with his cache. Well you haven't asked. Think before you insult someone telling him he has no integrity.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

We have all been guilty of overlooking a cache which might very well be placed on Private Property in our time geocaching. I certainly include myself in this category, however we at some point come to the realization that if we continue to log these caches which are questionable, then we will never educate new cachers, or encourage the change of old caching practices which have in some cases become acceptable.

If this cache does not meet the requirements and we seek to log it, then we overlook the problem and give legitimacy to it’s placement. Had everyone who sought this cache exited the parking lot, advised the owner of their concern without logging it, then the owners would soon get the message that it was inappropriate. They might react to this as criticism as has happened to me, or they might accept it as a means of improving their choices of cache placements, thereby benefiting everyone involved, and more importantly the “game”.

The quest for a FTF appears to diminish our “integrity” The meaning of which was so well portrayed in another topic by that very name by Solonm.

I call gotlost001 a friend and over the time I have known him I see his integrity put forward at the risk of being criticized or ridiculed for displaying it, that is one reason I call him FRIEND.

The owners of this cache are new to geocaching and in their excitement they may not be displaying the most prudent cache placements, lets not hinder their growth in the right direction by logging their inappropriate caches, lets inform them and encourage them to use better judgement in their placements. We can all make a difference but if we are to ”talk the talk” we must be prepared to “walk the walk” because if we don’t then we leave ourselves open to criticism.

We should all be thanking gotlost001 for putting this in the spotlight so that these issues can be dealt with.

Some input on this very subject by members of the BCGA executive might be appropriate and appreciated at this point.
gearhedd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Funny!, All those FTF hunts and no speeding tickets, get one speeding ticket and caching just got too expensive....

If we removed all these "private property" caches Abby would have over 100 less caches. Some might say that a mall, church are public access areas and there for public.... Or a display thats inviting the public to view yet is private property. Some areas are public "road sides" like my Mile Markers Series yet owners of houses nearby ask questions...... and help lost cachers or join geocaching how ever some may think you are on their property. If there is conflict I would move, its only a game/activity nothing to fight over.

I have not place any parking lot caches not so much that their are private property but that they are not interesting to me, cons NO VIEW, NO HISTORY, NO HIKE, INTERESTING HIDE more cons LOTS OF MUGGLES, A MICRO, NOISY LAMP POST, EASY FIND. I do them for the numbers, one thing is concrete/lampots don't break or move and see no damage even after 200 finds.
goinggone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

What is all this talk about private property...this cache is at the road side, and so are all the others in this series. I asked the person who services these containers how his organization felt about being singled out for caches, and he said they would probably feel honoured and encourage us to put one on each one of their containers. I agree with Gearhead: a lot of caches we take for granted are on private property but they cause no problem. Who do you think started putting caches under the lamp posts on the Home Depot parking lots? Yes, someone in Home Depot.
What I find a problem is what you see in the States a lot: I have a little business? Let's put a flowerpot in the front yard and stick a cache in it and call it by our business name.
Anyway, this whole thing gets blown way out of proportion. TESKELLY got caught with his 'pants down'. The fact that it happened while he was out for an FTF is totally immaterial. And that's all in my humble opinion, even though I admit that I am not sounding very humble...
Have fun, all...and publish a cache please so I can go FTF hunting...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

Wow have been reading these threads the last little while. Now if I have things straight you can't put a cache in the bush unless there is a big neon sign showing everyone exactly where it is, shopping mall parking lots are off limits unless you jump thru hoops as is any parking lot, public parks are becoming a no go zone. No wonder I havn't hidden any caches yet :smack:. Soon you will have to take a 4 year course on all the rules and regulations of how to hide a cache never mind another 4 years on how to find them. Just my 2 cents opps 1 cent have to pay the carbon tax Jester
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some will smile and others will shake their heads :) Reply with quote

As my first post on the forum, let me say thank you for all your comments.
We have one cache that is on private property("Got Junk?" GC1MY56) and all of our other caches are on Public Property save for 1 parking lot cache. The GZ for "Got Junk?" is located in the parking lot where we work and we have permission from "1-800-Got-Junk" to use their name. When you do the cache, you see why we called it that, not as an advertising things... but because of the cache surroundings.

All of the caches in our "Was That A Duck?" series are all on publish recycling boxes. We have no association with this organization, but wanted to encourage people to recycle.

We are still learning and appreciate all the help from the area cachers.

I don't remember who told me, but someone said, "Would you want to find this cache?" if so, then it's a good location. We try to ask ourselves that every time. Plus, we have to re-visit to do maintenance anyways.

Thanks

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1