CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Victoria Harbour
Victoria Harbour:  [?] . Historic Victoria. Caches galore, and a little high tea at the Empress Hotel. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinoBC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their gps data of trails they've hiked around Vancouver Island. I'm part of the Campbell River Search and Rescue group and I'm compiling a GIS database and also making maps of hiking areas to assist in our searches.

I'd be happy to share any maps I make using your data. The maps will have lots of features (if they appear in the area) like streams, roads, lakes, rivers, 10m contours w/ elevation labels and a UTM grid (with also lat/long tick marks) to easily find you position on the map.

Also I'd supply the map in pdf format and could produce any scale of map needed.

Thanks in advance,

Dino
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

This is great.. I am an avid user of the Search & Rescue Map of the Campbell River area...
I do not usually keep my tracks but i can...Let me know how I can help
DinoBC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Hey thanks a lot!

I'm basically looking for any trails around that people hike/bike/run/travel on and have any GPS info for. This can be in any format file format (I can covert) and would need you to email me the exported track and any waypoints from the gps.

Please feel free to private message me with your email address.
(If you post your email publicly there's a very good chance it will get harvested by spam bots)

Then I can take the data and can produce a smaller scale map
for that area as a pdf.

Thanks again,

Dino
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Can't seem to contact you through here...try geocaching.com
hike n'bike
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Moun10Bike has a project of his where he has GPS trail maps that he collects data for from Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Alaska and BC. I pointed him in the direction for downloading all the existing government trails data for BC so there is lots more info now for BC (including for your area of interest). He also loves getting trail tracks so he can add it to his project. The maps are visible in and downloadable to GPSrs from Mapsource (Garmin). On the unit they are transparent on top of your existing Topos. They are incredible.

Check it out here: Northwest Trails

Here is a screenshot from a Colorado:
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

If you haven't already, check out the Northwest Trails Project @ www.switchbacks.com Its a constantly updated mapset made from user submitted track data. BC is very under-represented so far, but may have some of the data you are looking for.

Even if it doesn't have the data you need, it would be awesome if you could submit some that you have collected. The project is headed by Moun10bike, a groundspeak lackey and is updated monthly or more.

You may also find some data at a related site, www.redtrails.com

Here is a screenshot of Campbell River area with the northwest trails map... trails are in red.

*****edit**** oops too slow. Smile
tjguy98

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

You could also try EveryTrail.com to see if any one has logged their hike on the site...

DinoBC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Hi vanislelady,

Hey thanks for the link I've been finding some stuff there.

Also sorry I thought you'd be able to email though the forum.
I've set up a contact form at the link below that I can be contacted though
and can reply with my email address:

logisticalgis.com/contact.php

----

Hi MaliBooBoo,

Nice one! Thanks a lot for the link, I've downloaded this as well.
Yeah GeoBC/LRDW is a great resource, I've gotten tons of free layers there.

Thanks again

---

Hi savant9,

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to post the image and for the links.
I've found some good data there.

----

Another Great link thanks tjguy98!

----

Also another thing I thought of is for your guys help, I'd be
happy to share some GIS layers for you to use in programs
like ozi or others. For example I downloaded all the Digital
Elevation Models (DEM) data for NTS map sheet 092
(from www.geobase.ca/geobase...ndex.html) and converted
these to 10m contours (vector .shp files). So I could share
these since they are my own derivative work and not
subject to all the restrictions of other paid sources.

I can also point you in the right direction on how to get
your own layers for free from GeoBC if you don't know about
this already. There's BC wide coverage for lake, rivers
streams, wetlands, UTM/NTS/BCGS grids etc.

Also if you have any area you want me to export pdf maps
of the area for you next hike of something, please let me know.
I can be contacted here:
logisticalgis.com/contact.php

Thanks again,

Dino
DinoBC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Quote::

Even if it doesn't have the data you need, it would be awesome if you could submit some that you have collected. The project is headed by Moun10bike, a groundspeak lackey and is updated monthly or more.

Also forgot to say sure I''d be happy to upload some data there.

Thanks,

Dino
hollyburn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

I haven 't looked at clubtread.com for a while but they might have some that you are looking for.
DinoBC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Hey thanks hollyburn, I check out there site too and found a bit of gps data.
Thanks for the link.

Dino
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Moun10Bike has just made it easier to submit track data to the northwest trails project, by adding a handy upload feature to the site, just today.

www.switchbacks.com/ma...fault.aspx

Previously you had to submit via email.

C'mon B.C. share the love of your trails.
DinoBC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Ok awesome, yep I'll do that for sure, I've just been very busy. We had a couple searches (one all nighter) and some volunteer stuff to do. I'll be back working on this project next week and will upload some trails that I'm allowed to share.

Thanks again for your help.
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Sorry.... I wasn't directing that specifically at you, but just a general "C'mon B.C."

I just re read it and it seemed to come off like I was getting pushy. Sorry if it came across that way.
DinoBC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking For GPS Trail Data For Search & Rescue Use Reply with quote

Hey no problem at all, didn't take it anyway bad.
All good =)

Thanks,

Dino
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1