CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Timble software
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Rocky Mountaineer
Rocky Mountaineer:  [?] . The Rocky Mountaineer heading north along Howe Sound. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Timble software
toplefttopfilltopright
Timble software
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2-poco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Timble software Reply with quote

Anyone running Trimble software on their GPS enabled Blackberry on Rogers network? If so how well does it work?
d-onion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Timble software Reply with quote

I've used it, but the blackberry GPS is kind of weak.

It's great for logging your finds on your blackberry as you find them, then when you get home you can then go through your Field Notes and log them in order on the GC.com website.

Another thing it's good for is accessing cache info on the road. I only had 1 instance where I couldn't access any info. For that reason I kept my PDA loaded as a backup. You can see hints, logs, cache desc, etc.

I had issues with the registration code at first and support was via email only and took a week to resolve with Trimble.
2-poco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Timble software Reply with quote

I went ahead and downloaded the demo on my new Blackberry Curve 8310 there was initally a connection error, "Could not open http connection, invalid tunnel name"...issue but the folks at Trimble were terrific in helping me through the problem on their 800 number. Passed on the info I needed to Rogers technical support and I am on my way....now if I could only find the time to go out caching and acutally use it. Real enticing to see all the nearby caches when I turn on the program! Treasure
The Wet Coast Explorers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timble software Reply with quote

I've had it on my BB Curve 8330 for just over a month now. I bought the 1 year subscription a little too hastily and should have kicked the tires first. It may be useful as a backup, but I wouldn't rely on it for much more.

Cache descriptions can generally be browsed quicker for me using GC.com's WAP interface => wap.geocaching.com

I hate the way that there doesn't seem to be any way to switch applications when running Geocache Navigator. I'm constantly switching apps, and having to start over every time with Navigator is a pain. Maybe I just haven't figured it out, but it's not working for me.

One of the things I was hoping to see was links to images that people embed in caches. Sometimes this is the only way to solve/find a cache in the field and if the images aren't handy, you're out of luck. No go. I still have to navigate to the regular GC.com page (can't do this in the WAP interface either).

On the topic of field notes, I manage logging via GSAK, so this wasn't a requirement for me. However, I did want to take advantage of GC.com's integration of Field Notes and Twitter (see www.geocaching.com/my/sharing.aspx ). This turned out to be a no-go as well. Only field notes posted via groundspeak's iPhone geocaching app will work. We Canadians can't use the SMS TextMark service, so we're out of luck there too. I've come up with another workground which doesn't involved Geocache Navigator to meet my requirements, so this another reason for me not to use it.

So, in summary, if I'm out somewhere and don't have my GPSr with me, I might consider using it if I know there's a cache around the block somewhere, but beyond that I don't see me ever using it. And at $40/year, I doubt I'll renew my subscription when it's up.
d-onion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Timble software Reply with quote

That's strange that your field notes don't work. It did for me. And it's great when you find 10+ caches as it keeps track of the order you find them in. We found that useful as we like to number our finds.

I've seen the iphone app and I think trimble is much better. But I agree that you can get by without software like this. It's simple to grab cache info from the gc.com site on a mobile browser.
awehttam

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Timble software Reply with quote

The Wet Coast Explorers wrote:

I hate the way that there doesn't seem to be any way to switch applications when running Geocache Navigator. I'm constantly switching apps, and having to start over every time with Navigator is a pain. Maybe I just haven't figured it out, but it's not working for me.

FWIW, I am able to switch between Geocache Navigator and other apps on my Curve 8330 using the standard alt-escape (the escape button being the button to the right of the trackball).

I haven't really had a case where I couldn't switch between apps on my BB but I have occasionally had to pull its battery when suspending it (for example), if the alt-escape trick isn't working maybe your device needs a reboot.

awehttam
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1